Glock43 whoas

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Re: Glock43 whoas

Post by mdeland »

To answer your question, maybe, because limp wristing might help cause an ejection jamb but from a mechanical stand point once the trigger trips the sear and the sear cannot hold the full cock notch there is nothing to stop the auto cycle until empty or a jamb occurs.
The disconnector will rise into the slide notch but with the short full cock notch there is enough play between the disconnector paddle and the sear to allow face edge to slip by the full cock hammer notch . I believe it's the momentary holding back of the hammer causing a separation between hammer and slide that causes the auto fire other wise it would just follow the slide down and probably not have enough energy to fire the primer.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Your probably wondering why the half cock does not stop the cycle. Well when ever the full cock is shortened the half cock has to be modified as well so it will not catch. This ruins a hammer and makes it unsafe in my opinion. That's why the only safe remedy for trigger pull reduction is spring reduction, smoothing the moving parts and a sear lift, leaving the hammer notches unchanged.
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

Until now,I had not ever heard of a 1911 going full auto.
I have a Clark Custom 1911 made for NMC competition,and because the trigger is so light,you have to depress the trigger before chambering a round,otherwise the hammer would follow the slide down to half cock. Obviously something that you do not want in a duty gun.

I think that the majority of these issues is with folks altering or improving their piece.

If a weapon is taken in for evidence in regards to a SD incident,trust me,the first thing done is to test the trigger pull. If I am not mistaken,the Colt 1911 comes from the factory with a 5-7 lb range. Most are a bit more than that.

The '80 series 1911s came with a firing pin block and folks would remove that to "improve" the trigger pull. Any such weapon brought into a trial with any safety features removed will open up a huge can of worms.

At best,such modifications will void any factory warranty at worst could result in a guilty verdict.

Top Dog
Be carefull of the words you speak
Choose them soft and sweet
Yopu never know which ones you're gonna eat
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

If you carry a snubby .38 long enough and practice with it regularly, it is all you need 99.9 percent of the time. The 12 gauge comes in handy rarely. More rare is the need for a long gun. I was always plain clothes, never uniform. You can drop the snubby into any pocket. In the winter I would put my hand on the snubby in a coat pocket when I was out and about. Always handy. I carried one speed loader. Pulled weapon twice. Never fired it on the job. Shotguns are handy for structures. Bad guys don't like shotguns. Most people are surprised when they read the yearly law enforcement death statistics and see how close the LEO was to the assailant. A snubby will fire and hit quite well across a room or the length of an automobile. Frankly, I was always more fearful of a man with a knife than a gun. Semi auto handguns have become popular and PC but are unnecessary. They look good in the movies though. I recently watched the new John Wick movie. They have turned shooting the semi auto pistol into an art form. I guess guys in uniform can carry whatever they feel they need. They can hang a lot of stuff on their belts. Smart ones I knew had a snubby in an ankle holster as a backup piece.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Not even Ed McGivern could get a wheel gun to go full auto, even though it sounded like it.
Not to mention Bob Munden with a single action, but that requires two hands and in reality may not be entirely practical for self defense regardless of what the movies present.

Remembering back to the first Police Nationals at Jackson, MS, when the semi-auto matches first were initiated there were numerous accidental discharges on the firing line when the command to load and holster was given. The shooter immediately to my left in 2001 at the Nationals at the 25 yard barricade put a 9mm bullet through the barricade which threw wood splinters on me when they were doing a magazine exchange on the clock. Know that person well and a very experienced law enforcement officer and a supervisory departmental firearms instructor they were.

It was after that bulletized barricade event that I first heard the saying that a wheel gun is a real gun and it's successor that, any gun that flies apart when fired and has to fly back together before it can be fired again is subject to failure. Saw that on several occasions with the Beretta.

Just sayin'
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

[quote="Top Dog"]LumpyGrits,
Being that you are out in the desert,do you use 45acp shot loads for snakes?? Obviously they do not operate the action. I was just wondering.

Nothing wrong with the Federal Hydra-Shok load. When LEE Jurras came out with the Super Vel stuff in the mid-late 60s,it pretty much pushed the envelope to the edge and pretty well shook up the ammo industry
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No. I don't. I have a S&W 340 that's my pocket snake-gun that goes with me on 'walkabouts..
In the 27+ years I have lived in the Mojave. I have only used it one time, on a Mojave Green in my back yard that my dog had cornered.
After I shot it, I called the po-po and told'em what had happen in case some one made a 'shots-fired' call(I fired twice). About 10 minutes later a Deputy showed up. Showed him the pictures & snake, he confirmed it was a 'green'(very deadly). He said good job-This was just after the Crown Fire and snakes and 'Yotes were looking for food and new homes.

Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

Lumpy Grits,
Yep,those green Mojave have a very nasty venom,if I am not mistaken it is both hemo and neuro toxin. Another one in your neck of the woods is that Pacific NW Rattler.

I don't know of a former or current LEO that does NOT have a 38 snubby usually in his/her pocket or IWB rig.

My snubby is a Charter Arms Off Duty hammerless lightweight.

Even if I am out rabbit or squirrel hunting,that is with me always. That or my Bulldog that I made into a "Boomer" which is their latest model 44 Bulldog.

I am glad that your dog did not get bit by that Green Mojave.

Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

Buffalocannon & DesertDuece,

Yep,I am considered to be a very old person (heck I have great grandchildren who graduated college) and am a true dedicated fan of the revolver.

Like I said before,after I would qualify the officers with their lots of shots,what do they put in their rigs when they leave...pretty much a snubby.

Yes,I like the Glocks and SIGs but my true real respect for an autoloader is a 1911.

Even starting out in '68 after I left the military,it was a Charter Arms Undercover that was my back up to the Highway Patrolman and it was still with me when I retired in '08.

I mentioned before the book The Snubby Revolver by Ed Lovette. It is excellent.

Top Dog
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

TD-The Pac. Rattler out here is almost black in color, and looks to the untrained eye as a King Snake that is very common around here.
Of late-There has been several confirmed mtn. cat sightings within 1/4 mile of my place.
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I too am a Wheel gun person at heart. If a round fails you just pull the trigger or thumb the hammer again.
I was really grateful for the the smooth double action and Keith loads in my 4 inch 629 Smith, on that bear last fall.
If one thinks a person is fast they need to witness a bear closure. He covered 21 stepped of yards from a single action hammer drop, recoil recovery and a double action hammer drop.
He stopped to give us a look just off the grass in the picture and dropped just to my right side in the picture.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I think this one will blow up the picture if you hit the spy glass icon.
Loaded fro the trip out with two caribou and the bear. Not much room left for us.
Rufus Krile

Post by Rufus Krile »

[quote="Top Dog"]Until now,I had not ever heard of a 1911 going full auto.

MANY years ago, I had the good fortune to be a 'temp' on the Ft. Bliss pistol team. Every firing point on the covered range had a line of .45 holes strung out above it. The temptation was just too great to whittle down the sear, I guess.

As far as snakes go, down here we're pretty much dominated by ol' Croatalus Atrox... the Western Diamondback... but ol' Atrox gets pretty big and heavy. Drilling rig I followed over south of Freer kept a cage for those little fellows. Anything caught on location went in the cage and got sold by the pound in Freer, TX. Brought $5.50/lb. We took out only enough every day to buy the beer and they only bought live snakes.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

In my opinion the sear spring finger is the first thing to check when a 1911 takes off but if the cock notches are factory speck it will usually not go auto. These can be easily bent when reinstalling under the hammer spring housing. Typically the spring will have three fingers, grip safety return, sear return and the third does double duty as the dis-connector and trigger return.
Brownell's sells a four finger spring which individualizes the dis-connector and trigger returns. This gives one a bit better fine tune option.
My thinking on why an immediate hammer follow will not cause an auto fire is because the hammer having much less mass then does the slide will always catch it, if not impeded and force the firing pin forward but the fresh round has not been picked up yet from the magazine. When the slide picks up the round the firing pin is out of alignment with the primer and as the slide closes the case head is slid side ways up under the extractor and the firing pin comes into line across the case head and onto the primer at a low angle. Regular primers need shock to light the fire which this action does not supply much off.
You can pinch a cap in a vice or with pliers and it almost never will fire unless accompanied by some form of shock.
I bought and installed a high dollar titanium firing pin for my 1911 series 80 Colt and it would not reliably fire in moderately cold weather. The pin inertia without a heavier spring was not enough to over come the cold thickened lube.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I forgot to include that the series 80 Colts with the firing pin block cannot auto fire because the firing pin is blocked until the trigger is pulled again. The down side is the firing pin block lift adds about a half ounce to the trigger pull weight. Mine is right at 3.5 lbs but breaks cleanly and is a very fine pull.
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

LumpyGrits,
Yep,we now have Mountain Lion/cougar sightings in this state. The state game biologists claim that there aren't any,then one got hit by a car. The state did a DNA on it and said that it came from South Dakota. No doubt visiting for the week end!!!

Also we have a huge coyote problem here and these are Eastern Coyotes,weigh in heavy,as much as 65-70 lbs.

MDELAND,

That Keith load for your 44,was it 22 grains 2400 behind a 250 gr cast?? I backed my load down to 20 grains.

That bear looks to be about 400 lbs. Did you harvest that ther critter with your 44 as well??

Top Dog