Cabin Tree lead hardness tester

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Cabin Tree lead hardness tester

Post by gunlaker »

I sure hope they are good. I just ordered one from Shiloh. Shipping by UPS was $30 until I found out about the extra UPS "brokerage fees" of $60 for a total of $90 to get it here.

I hope I like it :roll:

Chris.
MSalyards

Re: Cabin Tree lead hardness tester

Post by MSalyards »

Where the heck is here? And what is the weight?
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Here is Canada and it weights 3 lbs including packaging.

Basically if you use the USPS shipping is reasonable to get packages here as they work hand in hand with our postal service, but many companies only use the major courier companies like FedEx, UPS, etc. They all tack on big extra fees for any package that hits the border. For packages under a few hundred bucks it's a major impediment to cross border commerce.

Chris.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I should have realized it and just drove to America to get it myself. Last year I ended up spending $100 to ship up some Jeep parts worth $100 so the cost ended up doubling!

Chris.
johnl

Post by johnl »

Hey Chris, last time I ordered some goodies from Shiloh by phone they shipped USPS. I asked what if I ordered from the website instead of calling, Lucinda says orders to Canada are shipped by mail. If you ordered on line there is a comment section where you could say USPS only :D
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

That's good to know. Thanks John!

I'm looking forward to playing with this tester. I've had two batches of alloy in the last couple of years that were a little suspect and I want to start measuring the hardness of each new batch as I get them.

Chris.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

They are good I had one I liked, for some reason I don't remember why now, but I took it apart and it never worked right again. It did work good.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Coltsmoke, that's what you get for "adjusting" it. Ask me how I know--it took awhile to get it adjusted after I did that!

Clarence
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Coltsmoke just take it apart again and it'll probably be fine :-)
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Nothing, no matter how well engineered, that has at least one moving part is shooter proof. :wink:

Don't believe it? Just ask Kirk. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Coltsmoke wrote:They are good I had one I liked, for some reason I don't remember why now, but I took it apart and it never worked right again. It did work good.
Send just the main body to me, no rod or indicator. I no longer make them but I can fix it.
Gus
SIXSHOOTER

Post by SIXSHOOTER »

last year I had to send a .22 pistol to Ruger. Talking to the service rep he said if it costs more than $30 to ship then call me back before you ship. UPS and Fed Ex wanted close to $100. I called back and got a different rep but she sent me a Fed Ex shipping label. I had to pay $30 at the door and all turned out ok. Ruger did exceptional work and it was back in about 3 weeks. Not a trip to Canada but may be similar.
DK
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I got the hardness tester and played around with it a little. It's quite a neat device. My readings are quite different than what the chart it comes with says I should see, but the measurements are very consistent when I test a batch of bullets. This thing is exactly what I was looking for.

A very nice design Gussy.

Chris.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Most variations are caused by the " first touch". That has to be done consistently. A good way is to just barely be able to suspend the bullet, then start the one turn.

If you're testing an ingot, put a piece of plastic on the body under it so it slides easily.

Consistency in what you do is most important.

Put a screen protector like electronics use on the indicator and put sharpie marks on it to read directly if you prefer that.
Ramsdown

Post by Ramsdown »

Gussy,

Wondering if you can "preload" the indicator, say .005" to get a more visual measurement than by feel.