A Good Year For The 1877

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kirk Stovall

A Good Year For The 1877

Post by Kirk Stovall »

After waiting almost 5 years, I got one of the nicest guns I own. Built to my specifications, it really is a personal favorite. Early in the season, I got a turkey. Then then next week I got an antelope. The antelope was 209 yards and with iron sights, it is hard to make a precise shot that you take for granted with a scope. Then I got another turkey. Yesterday, I finished the season with mule deer.

I saw the group of deer feeding their way into a draw that was protected from the wind. I went around the back side to see if I could locate them and after a half mile sneak on a single doe, I realized she wasn't with the initial group I saw. After walking down the back side of a ridge, I proceeded to another lookout and found the rest of the deer all bedded down. They were over 600 yards, so I began sneaking and crawling through the cactus to get within good shooting distance.

After a few hundred yards, I was able to crest the ridge and crawl over the tope with enough grass to protect me from being seen. I ranged the buck at 208 yard, nearly identical to the antelope distance. There was a fairly stiff wind, so I put 5 minutes of wind on the Soule sight and set for 200 yards, shot the buck in his bed. He did get up, stumble down the hill dead...

PROUD MEMBER #2 OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB!
Woody

Re: A Good Year For The 1877

Post by Woody »

Geez, you are going have that thing worn out and in need of a re-barrel, before I even get mine.

Woody

Mine is in the current build cycle. I got my letter in April too.
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Geez, you are going have that thing worn out and in need of a re-barrel, before I even get mine.

Woody

Mine is in the current build cycle. I got my letter in April too.
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

kirk what cal. is your 77? do you head shoot turkeys? art
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Nice write up Kirk!!! It was good talking to you yesterday at the gun show. Congrats on a great season.

Dan
pete

Post by pete »

Congratulations. A good variety there.
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

art ruggiero wrote:kirk what cal. is your 77? do you head shoot turkeys? art
After a couple caliber adjustments, I settled on 45-70, which is the majority of my rifle cartridges. Head shooting a turkey is not all that hard unless you miss...
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

I took a couple more pictures that help illustrate the difference in the 1874 and 1877 as well as color/case vs pack hardening. The 1877 is pack hardened. The difference in the action and hammer is evident here as well..

art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

kirk; your a good sport and owner of some nice rifles your friend art in connecticut ps my son lives in columbia falls and is an avid hunter
CO

Post by CO »

Which is the 77? Top or bottom ? CO
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

CO wrote:Which is the 77? Top or bottom ? CO
The bottom rifle is the 1877...
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Kirk

Congrats on a highly successful 2018 season!

You had said that you “adjusted” your caliber selection a few times before setteling on the 45-70, whatother calibres did you almost choose?

Wade
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

Trigger1212 wrote:Kirk

Congrats on a highly successful 2018 season!

You had said that you “adjusted” your caliber selection a few times before setteling on the 45-70, whatother calibres did you almost choose?

Wade
I originally wanted a 40-65. After some discussion, I decided to go to 45-70. You have to realize this is over a 5 year period of time and you can change your mind in that amount of time. Then I decided again to go with 40-65 for less recoil. Talking with MLV later, we both decided to stick with what i already have in 45-70 and made the final decision to chamber it in 45-70. The weight is just under 12 pounds, I am sure it would have been a bit more in 40-65...
Del

Post by Del »

Hoping they will have mine done when I go down to shoot the Jim Gier match and I can drive down to Big Timber, then come back to the gun show at Bozeman, then drive back to Butte and shoot. You're going to have yours worn out before I even get to see mine finished!!
Fortune Favors the Bold...
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

What's the review on that single trigger? Trigger pull wt :?: :?: :?: