22rf insert

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

S & B Morris

Re: 22rf insert

Post by S & B Morris »

The Crossno liners have worked very well for us in the Shilohs. Excellent way to get practice time with our silhouette guns and accurate enough to be competitive at the National level. Dave & Pam were very generous in sharing tips & ammo suggestions, and once you get the loading/unloading rhythm down (practice, practice!) its not an issue to finish the banks with time to spare. Using some brands of ammo can be a headache...we use ammo that pushes in with light pressure & extracts easily (Lapua, Wolf, SK, Eley all shoot well). Our cheap practice ammo extracts a little harder, but usually just takes a little flick with the screwdriver to pop it out. Steve used an aluminum arrow shaft to make an extension on the liner so it would just clear the end of the barrel to eliminate any fouling buildup. Many, many thousands of rounds thru both of ours now & they have been a great investment.

Holiday greetings from the Pacific Northwest! B. Morris
"Be kinder than necessary, because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
lrb

Post by lrb »

Assuming a clean oiled bore, and an extension that clears the muzzle, can the Crossno liner be left in place for extended periods of time without worry of any bore damage?
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Yes it can be left in for extended periods of time. My Crosno liner came with a large tube of grease. I use that sparingly to install both the liner and the extension tube. Once shooting is done for us in October I install the liner for winter practice and it stays there until spring. I left my extension just long enough to get a hold of it with my fingers for removal. I don't think any harm would come to the bore without the extension but it just makes clean up easier after an extended period of use.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
lrb

Post by lrb »

Many thanks DEADEYE. I am going to order one. Thanks again, and good shooting to you.
Trigger1212

Crossno liner - Extension tube construction

Post by Trigger1212 »

I bought a Crossno for my 45-70 RB to use for off hand practice. Shoots well, not as well as the groups shown but then the only rounds ever used was CCI SV, if I bought a litter higher quality I’m sure it would tighten up. But satisfied with it as shoots tight enough for what I need for now.

As far as the extension tube, for the guys that have them, how, exactly, did you make them?

Any concern about making them too small so the expanding gassed disturb them? Or is the bullet before it matters?

Aluminum arrow sounds easy, do you use small o-rings to hold them in the barrel?

Do your extensions walk out of the barrel? Have to keep pushing them in?

Any issues with using extensions on a smaller caliber? Have a 40-65 that I will also be getting a liner for.

Cheers!

Wade
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Mine is for a 40-65 and a trip to ACE Hardware provided a brass tube that is just a little smaller than the bore. I bought a foot of it. To accommodate the difference one or two wraps of masking tape were used. As I indicated I lube the bore with the Lithium grease provided before hand. This seems to provide just the right amount of stiction. I have never had mine walk even after months of shooting. To make it I inserted the Liner and then carefully inserted the tube until it touched the liner. I marked it about .5 inch from the muzzle and cut it with a pipe cutter. I then used my chamfer tool to smooth the edges and wrapped it with the tape. That's it.

As a side note I experienced a bit of culture shock in doing this. Living in Canada it would be UNADVISABLE to walk into any store but a gun shop carrying a gun case. I was in Payson, AZ visiting my friend Pat when he recommended I do this. We were on our way to the range so the gun was with me. He pulled into the ACE Hardware, told me to bring the gun and in we went. We told the woman who served us what we wanted and out came the gun so we could try the different tubes sizes. Nobody screamed, nobody called the cops it was great.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

You're right Paul...we have a pretty down to earth town, and the range is nice also.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
22Ballard

Post by 22Ballard »

Each Crossno liner is made with a match (tight) chamber and match crown. If they weren't good, Shiloh wouldn't be selling them.....