22rf insert

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

art ruggiero

22rf insert

Post by art ruggiero »

anyone using a 22rf insert in there shiloh? how does it shoot and any problems? thanks art
Don McDowell

Re: 22rf insert

Post by Don McDowell »

I have several Crosno's and they all shoot quite well.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
parkergunz

Post by parkergunz »

I've got a Crossno in my 1994 Montana Roughrider 45-70. Accurate to 400 yds with iron sights and the right ammo. I use Wolf Match Extra.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Art, I have a Crossno .22 liner that I bought from Shiloh. When I use it in my .45-70 Long Range Express it will hit the MVA sight base a little on the way in. As a result I used it almost entirely in a C. Sharps highwall.

It shot pretty well, especially for the price. I generally don't ever shoot from the bench, but I did a little to test ammo for it. Here is a ten shot group at 100m benchrest. Except for the one wonky shot, the rest went into just under a minute of angle. That's a Canadian quarter, but it's the same size as an American one :-).

The group was shot with RWS R50 ammo, benchrest, with very little wind. No sight adjustments were made on the string. Eley Center X seemed to shoot just as good. The cheap stuff didn't work very well for me.

I don't use the liner much these days as I have a CPA which shoots a little tighter using much cheaper SK Standard Plus.

Chris.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

That is plumb amazing to me from an insert as that ten shot group is nearly as good as any high dollar match .22 rifle I've ever witnessed, including mine.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Mike it is pretty amazing for $185. Especially because up here I am paying $25 a box for RWS R50 so after a few days shooting you can spend more on ammo than the liner :lol:

Chris.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Chris if you'll of put a minute and 1/2 left wind in you would of got that quarter. :P
parkergunz

Post by parkergunz »

This was my first outing with my Crossno 10 years ago.
The extreme left and right were sighters. Pretty close to MOA.
The bottom was my Marlin 1895CB, 405 gr Lyman, with 25 gr 5744.
scan0001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

thanks guys do you have to remove the extractor? art
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

No need to remove the extractor, but you do need to watch not to open the block to hard or it will pull the liner out just a touch.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I would mention one thing,

Consider using something to extend the muzzle of the insert to the muzzle of your rifle.

Kenny Wasserburger.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

That is a really good point Kenny, and one I'd forgotten about. After a day's shooting I'd get a really hard ring of fouling in my barrel just where the end of the insert ended in the barrel. I always found it hard to remove.

Chris.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Just to keep it interesting, I did not like it. :twisted:

It shot fine. I didn't like the loading (with a pusher stick) or ejecting. To much screwing around.
bobw

Post by bobw »

I bought the one for the 40-65 chamber to use in my Shiloh Saddle gun chambered for the 40-2.1" BN they cut for back in the 80's. Works fine, groups Norma TAC as good as the group picture posted by Gunlaker. Ditto on what Gussy says about loading and ejecting. bobw
bobw
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The liners do make a good way to get some trigger time with a rifle. They also serve to get folks started in the 22 bpcr game , and gives the shooter a chance to decide if they want to get a dedicated rifle, but they are a pain in the neck for loading and unloading, and it's not uncommon for time to run out on a relay and still not have all 10 animals shot at.