Paper for patching...

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rufus Krile

Paper for patching...

Post by Rufus Krile »

OK... I've hit the wall. I decided to paper patch some bullets for my 50 X 2 1/2" (mostly because if its throat were any longer we'd be calling it a 28ga with tool marks...) and I can't find any suitable paper. Read the books and manuals.. "...should be able to find suitable paper stock at an art store, print store, or even Walmart". Not even close. Here's what I HAVE tried with the lack of success explained...

Tried strips off my divorce decree because it seemed appropriate... but it left my hands so smelly the dogs growled at me.

Tried strips cut from "Hootchee Mama" magazine centerfold but they kept sticking to the bullets.

Did find that the paper off the little parasols mentioned in another post (Note here: this is an obvious move to avoid hijacking another perfectly good post...) worked the best of all others tried. The obvious problem with this is the certain objections of surly bartenders at providing such a windfall. In an attempt to 'work around' this problem, I discovered that I'm allergic to big fizzy blue drinks and, after exposure to an uncertain number, tend to break out in handcuffs.

So... my question to all is where do I find paper stock ranging from .0022" to .0023" ?
BFD

Re: Paper for patching...

Post by BFD »

0.002 is pretty thick.

What are the dimensions of your bullet and the lands of your rifle's bore?
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Buffalo Arms is a great place to look for most of the stuff that we need. They sell 0.002" thick paper for patching.

If you want thinner, try Seth Cole 55W.

Chris.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

I agree about BA 9lb, 25% cotton paper. buy a ream and forget it for two years.
it measures .010 and works very well in my Shiloh 40 70

40 shiloh bore measures .400 and .408 lands.
boht my bullet is a custom .393 in front and .395 in the last 1.4 inch. 415 and 360 grain at 20 to 1
with a patch of the .010 damp, it slides in the bore just right. I can feel it entering the bore
but does not catch the paper.
100 yard groups are 1 3/8 inch or less. I have some 1 inchers when my old eyes let me.

While I can use .015 I have found not difference in the target, just tight to load.

good luck...Ken
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I have been having good luck with the Seth Cole 55w. I guess it’s basically an 8# onion skin paper but bullet and bore diameter will dictate paper thickness.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

kenny s wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:13 am I agree about BA 9lb, 25% cotton paper. buy a ream and forget it for two years.
it measures .010 and works very well in my Shiloh 40 70

40 shiloh bore measures .400 and .408 lands.
boht my bullet is a custom .393 in front and .395 in the last 1.4 inch. 415 and 360 grain at 20 to 1
with a patch of the .010 damp, it slides in the bore just right. I can feel it entering the bore
but does not catch the paper.
100 yard groups are 1 3/8 inch or less. I have some 1 inchers when my old eyes let me.

While I can use .015 I have found not difference in the target, just tight to load.

good luck...Ken
Don't you mean .001 and .0015? :?
Decimal point placement is important here.......... :P
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
bobw

Post by bobw »

Sounds like you got an older pre Bryan built Shiloh with a freebore. Patch to groove bullets are the best bet for "older freebored guns" .What is the unpatched dia of the bullets you are using? Patch to bore bullets are better for guns that the Bryans have built. What's the serial number? bobw
bobw
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

decimal point placement..
Well Gary, In the 4th grade, there was Christina Kodick....I spent a LOT of time looking at her and not the blackboard.
so..I must have missed the placement of the .....

my micrometer does show it as .010 and .015, so I got it from that....wonder where she is now?????

Ken
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

kenny s wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:26 pm decimal point placement..
Well Gary, In the 4th grade, there was Christina Kodick....I spent a LOT of time looking at her and not the blackboard.
so..I must have missed the placement of the .....

my micrometer does show it as .010 and .015, so I got it from that....wonder where she is now?????

Ken
She teaches Mathematics I bet. :lol: :P :twisted:
When was the last time you '0' ck'd that mic?
Does your mic measure 'tenths'? Not all do......
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

Like I said, there was Christina, blonde, blue eyed, perfect 30 30 30 figure (we were 8 ) so yup. I missed all that! :oops:
Rufus Krile

Post by Rufus Krile »

bobw wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:04 pm Sounds like you got an older pre Bryan built Shiloh with a freebore. Patch to groove bullets are the best bet for "older freebored guns" .What is the unpatched dia of the bullets you are using? Patch to bore bullets are better for guns that the Bryans have built. What's the serial number? bobw
Yup... Built in '99 and has a freebore with a built-in echo. Been shooting some GG bullets spaced out to reach the lands but know that will bring too much trash to the bore. Going to try some 500gr X .501" all diapered up to .510" (groove diameter). Been thinking about the aforementioned .01" paper (card stock?) wrapped around one of my 500gr X .460" 45/70 bullets. All of these are GG bullets but I don't care... I'm not trying to build a 1000yd load for a rifle with bbl sights and eyes that have looked through too many apertures already. I have this one figured as being the premier bunny/squirrel gun. The serial # is in the B75XX range.

Haven't shot it in two weeks so the bruises are fading out nicely.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Measure the freebore length if you would. bobw
bobw
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I'm surprised that a rifle with that serial number has significant freebore. I have an earlier one than yours ( B40XX ) in .45-70 and it has the same very short freebore that the newest ones do.

Chris.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Just like the Brgs?, 45-70 chambers have little or no freebore.
while their 40-65 and 45-90 chambers ( no SAMMI specs) have freebore.
Perhaps the old pre Bryans were done similarly, so the 45-70 would not be a
good comparison to the 50 cal.
beltfed/arnie
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Arnie, the B prefix means that the original posters rifle is not a pre-Bryan rifle. It is possible though that the .50's are different. I only own a few .40
and .45 cal Shiloh's (all B-prefix or B-suffix rifles with the same 0.050" freebore).

Chris.