Spotting scope help

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Lumpy Grits

Re: Spotting scope help

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Jim Kidwell wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:58 pm Celestron Regal M2 w/ LER eyepiece..................
Jim-How does the LER work for reading mirage, compared to the variable eyepiece :?:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

I have seen no difference. It is easier/faster to re-de focus for mirage then jamming your eye into a zoom type eye piece. The HD glass of the Celestron gives great resolution on what ever you want to focus on..................
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Thanks Jim :!:
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Del

Post by Del »

firefighter1990 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:18 am I prefer the straight eye piece so I can keep an eye on the wind flags without picking up my head
I whole heartedly agree with this statement. I see so many spotters with angled lenses make a wind call, then drop their heads onto their scopes and they don't see the changes. It is a little harder on your neck possibly but I have always used a straight eye piece and I find it so much easier to find the targets. An angled eye piece works better when laying down or off the bench when doing your own spotting but these are the only times I see advantage of using an angled eye piece.

But (and there is always a but!), I have been able to use Johnny Spratling's new Swarovski BTX Modular Spotting Scope Eyepiece which has twin eye pieces and I have to say that it is the best scope by far that I have used to date for seeing but it is also angled which has the same issue of not seeing changes in the wind once you get on the scope. Using it on Schuetzen targets where you have to see the hits on paper through the mirage from heat it is the best by far. Both eyes stay open, doesn't spuz up your other eye that you keep closed while looking through a single eye piece scope, and the view is considerably better I think because you are seeing with both eyes. But it doesn't fit well into your price range as you need the new style modular scope body ($2080 for the 95mm body) and $2770 for the eyepiece (and if you want to use it as a normal scope, there is the straight eye piece adapter for $2370 and the angled eye piece adapter for another $2370 and the ME 1.7x magnification extender for another $410...) I priced it all out on the B&H Photo website and you can get it there for a mere $10,531 including tax (shipping is free...)! You'd have the best of all worlds!

It sure is nice, though! :wink:
Fortune Favors the Bold...
BFD

Post by BFD »

For the budget minded, this used Kowa 821 MAY be a good deal. It is not my scope, and I know nothing about it except what is in the link below.

It may also benefit from a trip to Kowa for cleaning and refurbishing but I don't know what that would cost.

Anyway, just a FYI.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kowa-TSN-821-s ... :rk:1:pf:0
40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl »

Just sent my Kowa 821 in for refurbishing. $125. Mine did not have the "sticky" surface they asked about before I sent it in. May cost more, don't know. turned around in 10 days. Like new when returned.
Dick
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

The Kowa 821 is a good scope!
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Like my Kowa 821
BFD

Post by BFD »

I use the Kowa 821 for a lay-down scope when shooting can calling my own wind. It's good at seeing mirage.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I use the 821 Kowa for spotting and lay down with a 27x eyepiece. Previous scope was a Kowa TSN-1. Both are superb on doping Mirage.

Way less neck strain, with 45° in my opinion.

Kenny W.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter