Rifle scopes lengths?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

CaptnJack

Rifle scopes lengths?

Post by CaptnJack »

Howdy, all.
I have been debating over getting a rifle scope for my 1874 sharps in a 34" heavy barrel. I have been looking around for the older Fecker scopes. The ones for sale are usually only around 22" long. Just curious should I go with one in the 22" long range or go with a medium or full length one. Never shot a Sharps with one. Suggestion. Thanks.
ChrisF

Re: Rifle scopes lengths?

Post by ChrisF »

I just acquired a C. Sharps Hiwall with a 23" MVA. Going to be my new Silhouette rifle. Mine is very nice really like it.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I use the 23 inch MVA, for mid-range and Creedmoor, with the Winchester #2 mounts.

Kenny W.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Woody

Post by Woody »

I like the MVA 28 with Schuetzen mounts. I have them reverse the screw pitch so adjustments match their iron sights. With the 17 inch spacing, a MOA equals .005 inch. Much more forgiving. I like the Schuetzen mount as it is more suited for a Southpaw.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Full length scopes would be more traditional on an 1874 if you care about that. I like my MVA scope with the long range mounts. My wife uses an MVA Winchester B scope on her Stevens for .22 BPCR silhouette. She likes it a lot; easy to adjust and easy to see the adjustment marks.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

I have several of the fecker scopes on large bore and .22BPCR rifles & prefer the adjustment advantage of the 7.2" mount spacing. All my 6X, 8X & 10X Fecker's are a little under 21" long. Although Fecker did make some no-click mounts, most came with click adjustable mounts which must be "de-clicked" to make them legal for BPCR. What I like about Fecker's is they are available in good condition for $500 to $600, half the price of a new MVA or D.Z Arms. If $'s are no issue I recommed the D.Z.Arms due to the extended adjustment and ease of use of the rear mount. No doubt some will disagree and prefer the MVA's

BTW, I recently finished an article on de-clicking scopes (Feckers, Unertl & Lyman) which will be published in the January issue of the SSE & eventually added to my website.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

MVA front mounts allow one to zero your scope to a no wind zero/ mechanical zero. This is quite handy when there is a complete reversal in wind conditions. Also MVA scopes allow paralex adjustments at each yardage, one can make the cross hairs sharp and crisp against the target or a center dot be it paper or Steel, which is very handy in 1 MOA hold offs. My 23 inch scopes allow 1/3 MOA adjustments.003 per MOA. Or one tick mark=1/3 MOA.

PS and if something breaks on my MVA scope it’s repaired at no Charge, Just like my Shilohs.
You can run what ya brung but I am bringing all MVA’s. From 22’s to Creedmoor.

2006 NRA Nationals Creedmoor Scope Champion
2013 NRA Nationals Creedmoor Scope Champion
2015 NRA Nationals Mid-range Scope Champion
2018 NRA Nationals Mid-range Scope Champion
2009 NRA Regional Creedmoor Scope Champion Phoenix
2013 NRA Regional Creedmoor Scope Champion Phoenix
2011,2012,2013,2014 America’s Cup Scope/PP Champion Phoenix

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter