MVA Belding and Mull

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ChrisF

MVA Belding and Mull

Post by ChrisF »

Any input on how the are quality wise? If you have one what's your opinion of it?
DeadEye

Re: MVA Belding and Mull

Post by DeadEye »

Chris,

Everything they make is the best it can be. The best scopes, the best sights, the best 1885 action and the best powder measure. If you are not using MVA you are not using the best. It's just that simple. I have a Belding and Mull and if it ever quits I will buy this one in a heartbeat. I've examined it closely and can see no room for improvement. In fact I bought one of their measuring micrometer 'tubes' and adapted it to the Belding and Mull.

Seasons Greetings, Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

The price is right too, I have a C. Sharps HiWall not MVA. And several of their sights and a Scope. Thanks
JeffFaldo

Post by JeffFaldo »

As Paul already said "it's MVA so you know you're getting top quality". I've been using one for years now and wouldn't think of loading without it. Of course like any belding and mull you need to keep the hopper topped up or the weights will start to vary some. With a full hopper and good consistent lever operation even with 1F it's extremely accurate. Recommend one of the bigger powder hoppers and keep it at least above 1/4 full and it works like a champ.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Tomorrow is order day! Thanks. Was looking at electronic but don't like the idea of electricity and black powder together
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

The MVA measure is the best one you can get for black powder. I used to use a Lyman 55 and then switched to a Harrell's Precision. I now use the Harrell's for smokeless as it's not as good for BP and will not handle Fg.

The MVA is quite consistent, at least as good as the Harrell's for Swiss 1.5. I often drop the charge into my electronic scale pan to double check the weight. If the powder charge falls out of my desired range then I redo it. This only adds a tiny amount of time to the process. With Swiss 1.5 or Swiss Fg the charges rarely vary by more than 3 tenths of a grain unless I work the handle inconsistently.

Chris.
johnl

Post by johnl »

Hey Chris. My Chargemaster dispenser shit the bed earlier this year. I am about to order a Chargemaster lite from Cabela’s, however I wouldn’t mind a measure strictly for black powder. I think the MVA is the ticket. Hell I’ll get both :lol: Season greetings. Someday I’ll try to make it to the Heffley Creek shoot.

John
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Now the wait.
MacRob46

Post by MacRob46 »

I have one of the powder measures and it certainly works well, as advertised. It has simplified my case charging routine although I do check the charges with a balance beam scale from time to time. Call me old fashioned but I don't fully trust electronic scales and measures.

Now, as far as the sights, I do have one of the 103 Long Range tang sights which came apart on me at the Quigley a couple of years ago. They were at the Q, of course, so I took it by their tent and it was promptly fixed, which I appreciated but, these were brand new sights, so how did they get out of the company's hands without being QC'd or whatever they do before shipment? I am happy with them now but have two sets I got from Lee Shaver which had no problems until the windage adjustment on one froze (after a long time) which Lee promptly fixed. A friend of mine is going on a year trying to get a sight base from MVA which never seems to arrive and they are not communicating with him as to why or when it will arrive.

I think MVA is a pretty good company and I like their products, but they are not perfect.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

I know of an original Belding & Mull I can get for $100. Should I jump on it?
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Woody

Post by Woody »

Too much. They are good but not that good and there are plenty out there.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Maybe, but I don't remember the last time I saw one available in Kanuckistan.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Woody

Post by Woody »

Well you may have a point.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Besides the one on my head .... ? :D
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Been using the MVA, PM for many years now-Well worth the money.
I use the medium size powder hopper.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"