PP ring

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bruce m

Re: PP ring

Post by bruce m »

good point clarence.
there is for example a difference betwee 405 and 30/40 brass.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
corporalcallous

Post by corporalcallous »

Hello, this is my first post. I have been lurking for 4 years on this site....have learned quite a lot. I feel like I know most of you quite well since I have read all the way back to 2004 (3 times). I did not plan on introducing myself in this manner. I think Tom Klinger hit closest to the mark. I think Kenny has "incipient case head failure". The key was when Kenny said he bought this brass "used". Kenny did not cause this problem. Whoever owned this brass fired it in an oversized chamber and then full-length resized it. You can cause this sort of failure with as little as 2-4 firing/re-sizing operations. KW can probably back me up on this. You should inspect all this brass by sharpening a paper clip,,,bending an "L" in it, and checking for a lip down in the suspect area.
After hydrogen, the most common thing in the universe is stupidity---Albert Einstein
Every shot makes someone happy.
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

Also if you are resizing your dies can make a difference. I found out the hard way. Well not really hard. I had some Hornady dies and after trimming my brass to my chamber size I sized the brass and it came up short. I brought the question up here and was told to try a different sizing die. I ran them thru an RCBS and they came back to size. No more PP ring.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

MSalyards wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:46 pm Also if you are resizing your dies can make a difference. I found out the hard way. Well not really hard. I had some Hornady dies and after trimming my brass to my chamber size I sized the brass and it came up short. I brought the question up here and was told to try a different sizing die. I ran them thru an RCBS and they came back to size. No more PP ring.
Trim, AFTER sizing. :wink:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
BFD

Post by BFD »

I sure would not.