Fun & games when not hunting deer

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Fun & games when not hunting deer

Post by TexasMac »

Hey guys,

Just thought you might be interested in what we did this past weekend at our west Texas deer lease when not hunting deer. Check out the video below. The old tree is next to a road on the ranch. About a 1ft deep hole was dug under the base of the tree. A 3/4lb canister of 1997 vintage Elephant 3Fg black powder was stuffed into the hole with a 2ft cannon fuse with a 30sec/ft burn rate. The hole was then backfilled and tamped down with dirt. Having no idea what would happen I lit the fuse and walked away. My son is filming the results.

BTW, this weekend was the end of the 2018 extended season. One of our hunters has three 1/lb canisters of Goex 2Fg he’s not using & I may contribute a pound or two of Swiss 1.5Fg for more experimenting during the next season to refine our technique.

Turn up your audio to hear the comments.

Wayne

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... JnZ1ctR3pB
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Gussy

Re: Fun & games when not hunting deer

Post by Gussy »

I was expecting to see a "lift off"!
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Gussy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:17 pm I was expecting to see a "lift off"!
Yup, me too. Maybe a couple of lbs of Swiss 1.5 would have done it. If you look closely at the base of the tree as it blew you'll note the flash from the explosion. BTW, by jumping to 1min 20sec into the video you can repeatedly watch the explosion.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

you need to be able to build more pressure... soup cans work well :roll: :roll: dont ask how i know :lol: :lol: put a small hole (as small as you can) an fill her up!!! sweet video tho!!!!
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Our company doc, who was from south TX, told me he used Bullseye to blow stumps. Pounded a pipe into the dirt under the root ball, made a packet of powder that he pushed down into the hole, and used a fuse. He said it was effective, and it didn't take very much.

Clarence
BFD

Post by BFD »

Sort of depends on the stump, no? Anyone got a recipe for a 30" walnut?

I've always wanted to do that but have always wondered if I wouldn't end up with a stump in the middle of my living room or as a hood ornament on the truck or tractor.
Del

Post by Del »

I worked for a man when I first went to college named Frank Koons from Rexburg, ID and he told me a story about where his dad sent him and his brother out to blow a cement irrigation head gate out of the middle of a field so they could drag it away. They weren't well versed in this as most young boys aren't and did just what their dad suggested which was take a digging bar and dig down a small hole under the head gate, then stick some dynamite down the hole and tamp dirt back on top and light it off... Easy, peasy…

They weren't sure about how to tamp the dirt in on top so they put dirt in, tamped it with the digging bar, and then left the digging bar in the hole. They also weren't sure about how much dynamite to use so used all that their dad gave them as he must have know how much to use and that is why he gave that much to them.

After the dust cleared, the head gate and digging bar were gone. At least it seemed like they were gone until the head gate landed on the hood of their old farm truck and destroyed it. The digging bar was never found!

So a word to the wise, start small and work your way up!
Fortune Favors the Bold...
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Del,

Good story. It appears that I started small. :wink:

Wayne