Advice sought- kids' buffalo match rifle

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

MTAustin

Advice sought- kids' buffalo match rifle

Post by MTAustin »

Hello all,

Been away from the sport and this forum for over ten years. The wife and I used to be pretty active long range competitors in MT, and then we started having kids. Now our kids are at an age that we'd like to get back into the game, and get them involved also.

We shoot a Shiloh .45-70, which I cast and reload for. I'm looking for some experienced advice on rifles and calibers for 10-12 year old kids to learn the game on. They're somewhat experienced shooters (4-H air rifle, .22s, deer rifles, etc.), but I don't want to start them on my big, heavy Shiloh and teach them bad habits.

Budget is an obvious concern; I'm not looking to break the bank but I also don't want to purchase junk.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
"Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife."
-Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
beltfed

Re: Advice sought- kids' buffalo match rifle

Post by beltfed »

Recommended caliber: 40-65/16 twist with light bullets about 370 grains.
Will have light recoil and will be accurate out to 1K.
Rifle:
Whatever quality one you can afford
beltfed/arnie
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Austin, since you and the Mrs. have been away from the game, one of the most popular calibers, not only for kids, but adults as well is the 38-55. Most of them if not all I know of shoot smokeless which is up your alley. When Sharon and Ryah shot they used a 38-55 Roller with a Douglas barrel. I did load it with Swiss. I do think that it was a whim for awhile as some of the shooters have drifted back to their 45 calibers. Reason for the long range gong matches, is it's so hard to see or hear hits. But for a beginner it is great. We should be able to find some time this spring where we can get together and your kids can give mine a whirl. As long as you can endure a little smoke. :shock:
hipshot1

Post by hipshot1 »

I agree with Charlie the 38-55 is a great cal. In 14-16 twist it can be loaded down and will shoot great. I have one in 12 twist and it likes to be loaded fast.
Something else you might think about is the long range 22 shoots that are around this area like Baker, Medicine Rocks and Forsyth, they are very fun.
A man must standup before you can see how long of a shadow he will cast
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I'm going to recommend the 40/50 Sharps straight. Powder capacity is about the same as the 38/55 but you get the advantage of 40 caliber bullets. Start them with 300, 350 up to 370 grain bullets and when they get a little bigger and used to the recoil move up to 400-420 grain bullets.
You can even lengthen the chamber to the 40/60 Maynard when they are grown and you won't be giving up anything. The 40/50 is everything folks wish the 38/55 would be.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
billhux

Post by billhux »

I'm going with the 40/65, my daughter started with a Brooks 360 gr 5 grease groove ''chicken'' bullet , 42 grs swiss 1.5 .060 wad.
She killed her first deer with that load when she was 10 and weighed 65 lbs.
Now she shoots a 390 gr Brooks 4 groove, 48 grs swiss 1.5, 2 .060 wads, weigh's maybe 80 lbs and you wouldn't want her shooting at you on the ram line.
40/65 leaves more room to grow.
As far as spending money on the rifle, it's cheaper to do it right once than half ass it twice.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

MT-I you tried lighter bullets in your .45-70?
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

No one has mentioned this light wt yet it performs quite well with a 12 twist and is easy on the shoulder.

A 38-50, brass from BACO and and excellent bullets to choose from.

I know 3 different guys that have won various Mid range nation champion titles with it.

Kenny W.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
knobsmt

Post by knobsmt »

i shoot a 38-55 with 350 gr money bullet it gets the job done ..
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I'm a firm believer in not starting youngsters with to heavy caliber of a rifle for them. I started my son at about age 8 with CB caps in a Stevens 14 1/2 Little Scout then moved slowly into bigger calibers. His first BPCR silhouette rifle was a 38/55 at about age 13 or 14. I then built a 40/50 SS and he shot it for about 5 years. He is a good shot, hard holder without a flinch problem.

Youngsters must enjoy it to want to continue. Getting the snot kicked out of them takes a lot of the fun out of the game and contributes to developing bad habits. Start them with a smaller caliber rifle that fits them and work up from there. Yeah, it might cost a little money but they are your kids, they are worth it.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Could also just pick up a good used 40-65, and load it with 1f.
Just be sure to cut the stock down so the length of pull fits them.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

also remember kids can't shoot a 12# rifle, keep the weight manageable so the don't tire out art
semtav

Post by semtav »

Just make a list of acceptable calibers and look for the right gun to come along..
38-50....38-55
40-50....40-60 Maynard....40-65
Etc.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Two 38/55's went up for sale yesterday on Guns International. They are both used American made repros. One is a high wall and the other is a '74 Sharps. They are listed under Sharps Replicas. They are not mine, I don't know whose they are and I'm not trying to sell them, only pointing out to the OP their existence.
MTAustin

Post by MTAustin »

Thanks for all the replies, gents. Sorry I couldn't respond sooner- I updated my email address on the forum and got my account suspended until Lucinda turned it back on.

I'm leaning toward a .38-55; Charlie, I'd appreciate a little hands on assist this spring. Christie and I really want to get back into it this year and go to some shoots.

Now to find a rifle...
"Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife."
-Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes