Ballard Rifles?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Coltsmoke

Ballard Rifles?

Post by Coltsmoke »

I've heard it once or twice that the Ballard rifles are weaker, what is weak about the Ballard? I don't see any tangs top or bottom on the rear of the receiver, how far does the end of the butt stock go up into the rear of the receiver? How is the butt stock being held on, is there a bolt running all the way up from the rear of the stock to the rear of the receiver? Anybody shooting a Ballard in our game? Are there any problems with movement of the butt stock on the receiver causing problems with accuracy? Tell me what you know about shooting BP big bore with a Ballard.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
ChrisF

Re: Ballard Rifles?

Post by ChrisF »

Ballards were being made in Cody Wyoming I think at one time but don't think they are anymore. Don't knives about their strength. I never seen one at a match.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Weaker than what?

They can crack do to a square cornered mortise. They can crack if you put a centerfire cartridge barrel on a cast iron frame. They will break if you chamber them in something stupid. Their stocks are known to crack at the head where it sockets into the receiver, and yes they have a through bolt.

They shoot bp just fine. I wouldn't trade mine for the world.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Smoke,

I had a Cody Ballard chambered in 45-90. Wonderful triggers. It just hung there offhand. It hurt prone. I sold it off because of the prone pain. They have been known to crack because of the square corners. The cracks were cosmetic and apparently did not effect safety of the action. That is not true of the original cast receivers meant for black powder. They have been known to fail when over-stressed with smokeless powder. One failed at the Q several years ago.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

Nothing wrong with a Ballard and black powder. I've had Hepburn, Shiloh Sharps,CPA Stevens and Highwall and my Ballard is my favorite silhouette rifle.Triggers are the best. I'm liking the 40 caliber part also. Having a rifle that fits the owner is #1 and I fit all the above to myself. Length of pull and comb height being most important.

HG
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Ballard's are adequately strong for low pressure cartridges but the design itself in not inherently strong compared to a falling block or even a Rolling block.
The reason is two fold. The breech block seat is angular behind the hammer cut in the action top and is held in battery by a lever pin and toggle arrangement that lifts the front of the block into position against a lower rear block seat in the back of the action. All back thrust is against this angular seat then redirected to the lever toggle and pin. The rear block seat is in parallel and has no back thrust resistance. It is a lever fulcrum only.
The other weakness is the split breech block held closed by alignment pins and four screws. There was at one time a solid breech block made with a side plate but I don't know if that was a factory option or after marked conversion.
Original Ballard"s are beautifully made and are of cast or forged manufacture. The cast were only adequate for low pressure rimfire rounds although I have seen one chambered in 40-65 that I would not work on. Even a 32-40 is pushing it with smokeless loads in my opinion, with an original cast receiver. The forged receivers were adequate to any black powder cartridge. Modern Ballard's are all investment cast of gun quality steel , 4140 or 8620 I've read,depending on wither or not they were to be cased or blued.
Just finished repairing one yesterday which broke a trigger and needed a hammer/trigger refit. Also installed a roller mainspring spring which is a nice upgrade for these fine ole original guns.
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Coltsmoke,
Just received my original Ballard #7 long range target rifle yesterday, the rifle looks totally un messed with the bore measures .442 and its chambered in 44-100 2.8". Ballard everlasting.There are no cracks in the stock around the wrist or anywhere else. The wood fits tight around the mortise. The block locks up with a tight "snap" when you close it. It has a .065 dia firing pin. The inside of the receiver is not rough cast like my other two Ballards, this one is fully machined. I've been told that the machined receivers are steel not cast, I'm not sure. It also has a two line address on the receiver, rifle is in excellent condition and a work of art. I'll bring it up at the end of the month and you can check it out.
Tom
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Tom, the fully machined receivers are steel. Don't worry about shooting yours. It sounds like a fantastic rifle. I may make it this month, depends on weather. I don't have a shooting partner to share expenses with right now and that figures into it as well.

Mike you are right about the back thrust and forces in the Ballard receiver. The receiver absorbs most of the forces but what is left is directed back on the linkage and lever pivot screw. Otherwise those #8 screws would never hold up for more than a few shots.
The first Ballards had a solid breech block with no side plate. It was cast and was weaker and more complicated to assemble. The split block was an improvement or it would not have lasted until the end of Ballard production.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

John,
Hope to see you at Riverbend....
Tom
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

That's great Tom, glade you got a nice rifle. See you soon.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.