Newcomer/ which bullet ?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Olsager

Newcomer/ which bullet ?

Post by Olsager »

Hello - I will be a newcomer to this sport as soon as I get my new Shilo Sharps sometime hopefully next summer. The caliber is 45/70. Since I will be using ready to load bullets at least as first with black powder my question is what bullet/manufacturer would be a good bet to start with. Don’t mind paying extra for quality bullets because I do appreciate good to even better accuracy with all of my rifles and loads that are so painstakingly worked up for that purpose. Any help will be greatly appreciated - Don G. Sims , La Grange Tx
bruce m

Re: Newcomer/ which bullet ?

Post by bruce m »

baco, brooks or kal.
you will have to cast them though.
they will be better than bought bullets.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

My suggestion would be .443-.444 Paper patch bullet or a dual dia PP bullet. Buffalo Arms has quite a few to choose from.

Get some lead, tin from Roto metals, RCBS lead pot (I would not get bottom pour) lead ladle, quality bullet mould, and have at it!!!

Dont forget fouling control is VERY important with BP shooting!!! If you do it right your groups will stay small if not........
There are tons of threads on this, but water and cutting oil is what I use.

Good luck and have fun!!!! Matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

WELCOME :!:
Will you shoot GG or PP type.
If GG, Then I suggest a Creedmoor or Postell.
https://www.montanabulletworks.com/prod ... r-postell/

Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Don,

I suggest you take a road trip to Columbus on the 2nd or 4th Saturday of each month and talk to the knowledgeable shooters there before, during, and after the silhouette match. Take 71, turn right on 1890 a few miles before Columbus, go 3/8-1/2 mile south, turn left at the first lane with a cattle guard, and find a parking place. The firing line is behind the house.

As far as purchasing cast bullets, take a look at Sagebrush (sageoutfitters). Their bullets are not cheap, but they have several good designs. You'll probably want to plan to get equipped to cast your own soon. John Walters has excellent alloy (and fiber overpowder wads), Buffalo Arms has good bullet moulds (suggest you avoid Lyman-some are very good, some no so much)-quality moulds are worth the money when it comes to ease of casting. The advice about pouring with a dipper, rather than a bottom pour furnace, is good and will yield better quality and consistency. TexasMac's website has some ideas on the specific furnace. In .45, either a Postell or Creedmoor design in the 520-540 gr. range would be a good starting point.

Probably easier to get started with grease groove bullets, then graduate to paper patch later if you are interested.

Clarence
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Creedmoor, Postell, or Money Bullets for GG. I know nothing on PP. But there are guys her who are excellent at doing it.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

Say good by to your honey...feed the dog.....call in sick...
This sport is ADDICTIVE!!!

welcome to the 'nut house"
Ken
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

Say good by to your honey...feed the dog.....call in sick...
This sport is ADDICTIVE!!!

welcome to the 'nut house"
Ken
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Sage Outfitters, Paul Jones Creedmoor bullet.
I shoot the PJ Creedmoor and have not found a better bullet to use.
http://www.sageoutfitters.com/catalog/i ... 451992.htm

Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I believe it is better to spend time working on your shooting technique that chasing the latest and greatest bullet. Someone who shoots a lot will generally do well with most any bullet. Work on your load preparation, be consistent, and practice, practice, and then practice some more. Shoot as often as you can. Spending time shooting a 22lr is most helpful as well.
Olsager

Post by Olsager »

Wow! Thanks for all the timely and informative help. I am currently loading/shooting 45/70 Marlin lever rifle with smokeless and a mix of cast and jacketed bullets even out to 300 yards ( iron adjustable ladder sight ) and getting fantastic results.My best effort so far was 2 1/2 “ three shot group at 300 yards. I probably would not have purchased this rifle except for the fact this is the caliber that my new Shilo rifle will be and wanted to get familiar with loading and shooting it. The jacketed bullets are Hornady 350 grain flat nose and the cast ( which out perform them every time ) are Oregon Trail 350 grain flat point also. Clarence thanks for the tip about the regular shooting get together near Columbus. I had no clue about something like this. As far as I know no one in my local club, Fayette County shoots the traditional Sharps rifles, at least on a regular basis. I am really looking forward to going there and meet people and learn whatever I can. Thanks again everyone - Don G. Sims