powder measure baffle

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Gussy

powder measure baffle

Post by Gussy »

Anyone use a powder baffle in the supply tube to keep feed pressure even? I have them in my shotgun loaders but never tried one in the black powder measure. I know column height affects the charge and this might even it out.
BFD

Re: powder measure baffle

Post by BFD »

Yes, and they do help somewhat. At least for me.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The one in my Lyman 55 sure helps it, but the one in my RCBS is a huge pain in the butt, the holes are a bit small and even stick rifle powders can bridge and cause "short" charges. I seldom use the RCBS as it's mandatory to weigh each charge, even with ball powder.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

That's odd Don. Never had a problem with the RCBS but then I don't have a baffle in it or the Lyman either. I'm getting an MVA soon and thought about trying it.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Both measures came with them. If I were desperate for a powder measure and decided to use the RCBS I would pull that baffle..
Not sure how close those MVA's are to the original Belding and Mull, but the one I grew up on didn't have a baffle, and as near as I can recall wouldn't of benefitted from one, due to the way the chamber under the tube and above the spout for the measure filled.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Woody

Post by Woody »

As with anything in this journey, consistency is important. In both my RCBS and Redding measures I have baffles and think they work as intended. I don't have one in my Belding. No reason, I just don't. I also think keeping the tube full helps. Mostly I use the RCBS.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I have a Harrell's and Belding and Mull have night used the B&M yet
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

I usually use the Lyman. It's mounted on a high shelf and I can't look in it. I have a 1 inch dowel with marks on it I drop in the tube. Planned on a brass rod float through the lid but haven't made it yet.
JeffFaldo

Post by JeffFaldo »

My MVA with the baffle throws charges just fine. Two biggest factors of course is how much powder you keep in the hopper. I don't like to go much below half on my 1/2lb hopper. Also the way you push the handle. What works for me is a nice even push to the stop and then following the lever back till it gently stops on the other stop. No slamming or even abrupt hitting on the stops at all and the charges will be within a grain or so every time. Even with 1F. The baffle on the MVA is easily removed by just wiggling it and pulling it out. Never ran mine without it in there. Maybe have to give it a try.