NRA Classification

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

NRA Classification

Post by Woody »

This morning I forwarded my 2018 Silhouette Score Book information to the NRA. I wonder how this will shake out?

At the same time, I did a classification look-up.

Several years ago, I did a look-up and found I was properly classified in BPTR in Mid-Range Position, Mid-Range Prone, and Long Range. My very old High Power classification had dropped off the radar. That didn't raise any concern, as I no longer shoot High Power.

Now the only current classification I hold in the NRA system is BPTR Mid-Range Prone. Everything else shows as Unclassified. It did request an explanation. It's too early for a response.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
BFD

Re: NRA Classification

Post by BFD »

I need to figure out where to send photocopies of my book. I have sort of ignored that hoping it will somehow resolve itself magically. Probably not a good strategy.

Meanwhile, I looked at my classifications. In the past, I have had only BPTR classifications listed, Midrange and longrange. They were both listed correctly.

But then there are lever gun classifications. Sadly, they were right except that the rifle-caliber classification simply isn't there. It's not "unclassified" it is just missing.

And I am listed as "unclassified" in BPCR scope and again the BPCR irons is just plain missing.

I don't know where they go the lever gun and BPCR info from, but is wrong. I also don't really care that much. I know my class and I will register for it properly in BPCR. In lever gun rifle class, I suppose I could lose some prize if they "unclassify" me, but I don't really care about lever gun like I do BPCR and TR.

The NRA has growing pains I guess.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Brent,

I understood the copy of the book should be sent to:

tournrpts@nrahq.org

So that's where I sent it and also requested clarification of my classifications.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
BFD

Post by BFD »

Thanks, that is what I will do.

BTW, you have a PM
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

You guys are much more understanding, polite, and positive than I am about the whole subject than I am....
BFD

Post by BFD »

jackrabbit wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:03 am You guys are much more understanding, polite, and positive than I am about the whole subject than I am....
That is why they call us the nice guys ! The Midwest nice anyway
BFD

Post by BFD »

jackrabbit wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:03 am You guys are much more understanding, polite, and positive than I am about the whole subject than I am....
That is why they call us the nice guys ! The Midwest nice anyway
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Being an inquisitive sort of guy I did a look-up for the first time since for the last 15 years I've been relying on my Score Book.

As of this moment on the NRA web site I am shown as:

Unclassified in BPTR as of 4/27/2015 yet my Classification Card shows me as EXPERT as of 5/25/2011
Unclassified in Mid Range Prone as of 11/1/2016 yet my Classification Card shows me as MARKSMAN as of 11/22/2011
Silhouette BPCR Scope as of 1/31/2019 AAA and that is correct EXCEPT there is no mention of IRON and that is where it all began for me.

The BPCR Scope I think would have been picked up off of the Nationals report in July and only took SEVEN months to update while at the same time the Iron classification has been missed for 15 years.

I'm with you Cody.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
BFD

Post by BFD »

I would guess that they have just started creating BPCR classifications. Those were never part of the classification look-up program. Maybe irons just haven't been entered yet.

I'm not worried though. I know my class and I can't do anything about the NRA system anyway. So, smile, be happy, stay out or the ditch. :)
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

I'm smiling, I'm happy and I'm not in the ditch but I have a question.

It took seven (7) months to enter my Scope classification. That is a fact. For most of us that is a whole season of shooting. If the system is followed there will be no record but that kept by the NRA. Suppose I go to my first match of this year and shoot my last Master score for re-classification (that right there is funny as I have never shot even one). Then I go to another match at another range but the only record I have shows me as 'AAA' for the next SEVEN months. What is the Match Director supposed to do? Do I have to keep shooting 'AAA' until the system catches up with me? (yes I know you can shoot up a class any time you want) That raises another question, if I do choose to shoot Master at a match what is that going to do to the system and how will that be shown SEVEN months later?

I wonder, what if we all just choose to shoot MASTER all the time? And for my last question, how long do you think it will be before they change our classification nomenclature to match that of the High Power shooters? I guess it will be announced at the Nationals this year.

And like you it really doesn't matter (anymore).

Paul
BFD

Post by BFD »

Paul,
Obviously, I don't know but like you said, you can always "shoot above your station" so it really isn't an issue in so far as keeping up with your climb up the ladder.

I just like the score books as mementos, otherwise I couldn't care less. I have my own shooting journals anyway.

I just want to shoot! The weather is conspiring against me. I KNOW it is a deliberate plot directed at me personally, but that is just the way it goes. It is hard being me :)

Waiting for the sun to shine again...
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

I too have kept all of my Score Books. It's fun to look back and follow our progression from 'B' to 'A' to 'AA' to 'AAA'. As a new shooter years ago it helped to keep me involved. That's gone to serve the system.

As to the weather, Kermit said it best, "It isn't easy being green." Currently -26F here.

Paul
Woody

Post by Woody »

Hey, I just got back and checked my email. I've got an answer from the NRA acknowledging receipt of my silhouette book and that they will address my other questions. That's encouraging.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
BFD

Post by BFD »

Indeed the sun is shining on you, Woody.

I sent mine in this morning. I'm good.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Not really. My driveway is washed out. I put 56 tons of gravel on last spring. Most of it's heading downstream now. The sun is not shining here either. I did pick up a nice Scott and Son 14 gauge double percussion for a song ($156.00) and Trapdoor carbine at a good price ($881.00). So I guess it is peeking out now and then. I want to shoot them both, but have to wait another week at least before I can start using my right hand again.

The sun will shine tomorrow. I think that could be a song.

Woody
Richard A. Wood