NRA Classification

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BFD

Re: NRA Classification

Post by BFD »

I have a 14 gauge percussion double, probably french. Never fired it. Not sure why I bought it. Need to find it another home someday.

But it does seem like the sun is shining well for you. Enjoy, even if your drive is a bit washed out.
MrE

Post by MrE »

NRA classifications don't last forever! After 3 years of inactivity they default back to Unclassified. In 2015 or there abouts they updated the system. Al of my Bptr went back to Unclassified. I want a refund!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

BPTR rule 19.9 says that if you don''t shoot at least once every 3 years you're classification becomes obsolete. Except for Master, then it's 5 years.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Aaron has been busy entering the data that has been submitted and the first batch of cards will be run tomorrow ( 2/14 ) and sent out. Have patience. :) :) ...................
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
BFD

Post by BFD »

Jim Kidwell wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:12 pm Aaron has been busy entering the data that has been submitted and the first batch of cards will be run tomorrow ( 2/14 ) and sent out. Have patience. :) :) ...................
Hey, I might get a card on Valentine's Day after all... :) :)
Woody

Post by Woody »

I received two cards today. Iron sight Silhouette and Lever Gun Silhouette. The Lever Gun is incorrect. I'm still missing three classification cards, although they do have one of those correctly listed on the web site.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
BFD

Post by BFD »

I got three cards. All lever action. Waiting on my BPCR cards.

The lever gun cards had the acronym SILH or something like that. What does it stand for? It used to be CLA and the C was dropped this winter. That doesn't compute for me.

I bet I never show these cards to anyone. I have never been asked for my BPTR card (Only have 1 but should have 2).
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

You might check NRA Competition and go to "Results and Records" to see if you are in the system..........

https://competitions.nra.org/

Progress is being made............ :)
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
Del

Post by Del »

BPTR rule 19.9 says that if you don''t shoot at least once every 3 years you're classification becomes obsolete. Except for Master, then it's 5 years.
But it doesn't say anything in the Black Powder Silhouette Rule book about this. It states:
19.17 Reclassification - Competitors will be reclassified to a higher classification when they fire two scores in any higher classification to go from B
class upward or three scores in any higher classification to go from A, AA, or AAA upward. If the two or three higher scores are in different classifications, reclassification shall be to the lower of the one or two; the higher scores will also be used toward any subsequent reclassification. Previously carried forward high scores will be used to reclassify upward. Reclassification to a lower classification will occur only by petition to the NRA Silhouette Department, and only if a competitor has fired 12 consecutive scores in a lower classification. Such downward reclassification may take place only once every two years. No competitor may be reclassified downward more than one class at a time. Also, if a shooter, once reclassified downward (example: AAA to AA), fires a score which falls into the previous higher class (AAA), that shooter will return to the previous higher class (AAA) at the conclusion of that tournament. No competitor will be changed in classification during the course of a tournament, except under the conditions listed in Rule 19.17.1.
So if you don't like your classification, don't shoot for a few years, become unclassified, then shoot a B or A score and start cleaning up on awards? Given, not to shoot for a few years would be excessive, but point being is there is no mention in the silhouette book about scores dropping off and taking you back to unclassified. Maybe would be a good thing where some older shooters that shot, say, Master Class, but have not shot a master score in years and quit shooting because they couldn't compete successfully anymore and quit shooting, say, Iron Sights, that they could start shooting as unclassified in Iron Sights again and reset their classification without going through the whole petition process...

And I read on one of the forums where someone said that they were going to retain your highest scores shot for two years rather than one year. This is a change from the current policy set up with the score books. Wonder if the rule book is going to updated to reflect all these supposed changes???
Fortune Favors the Bold...
Del

Post by Del »

And as for what to do with a new shooter that comes to a match, the rule book states:
19.7 Lack of Classification Evidence - It is the competitor’s responsibility to have an NRA Official Classification Book containing scores of prior
matches. Any competitor who cannot present a classification book containing prior scores will fire in the highest available class and will be required
to purchase a book.
I have a number of shooters that attend the NW Regional that this is the only match they shoot and they buy their book at this match, enter the score for this match only, and go home. A few have not been members of the NRA over the years but they bought the book as required to shoot.

But now, I'm not sure what to do with these shooters. Anyone have an "Official NRA" position on this?
BFD

Post by BFD »

Del, I would just let them shoot like normal and then let the NRA figure out the rest. Basically, not your problem. It's the NRA's.
Del

Post by Del »

And I was just out checking my Classifications that are on the NRA Classification Lookup and it says:
MID RANGE PRONE BP TARGET RIFLE EXPERT 11/13/2013
LONG RANGE BP TARGET RIFLE EXPERT 9/18/2018
SILH BLACK POWDER CARTRIDGE RIFLE SCOPE AAA 1/31/2019
SILH PISTOL CARTRIDGE LEVER ACTION RIFLE AAA 1/31/2019
SILH SMALLBORE LEVER ACTION RIFLE AAA 1/31/2019
And you can see that my Mid Range Classification is held over since 11/13/2013. I would hope that they keep classifications forever until death do us part but this is not what the BPTR Rule 19.9 says:
19.9 Obsolete Classification and Scores - All classifications and scores (including temporary, Rule 19.14) except Master, shall become obsolete if the competitor does not fire in NRA competition at least once during 3 successive calendar years. Master classification and scores shall become obsolete if the competitor does not fire in NRA competition at least once during 5 successive calendar years.
Another inconsistency... Not that I'm bitching, I guess that I'm just confused due to lack of good direction from the NRA...
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Del have you fired any midrange matches since 2013?
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Del

Post by Del »

BFD wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:06 am Del, I would just let them shoot like normal and then let the NRA figure out the rest. Basically, not your problem. It's the NRA's.
Just as a match director I'm wondering how this all works. I'm afraid that many match directors, especially those for monthly matches, will say "screw this" and either quit or just not do it and suffer whatever consequences that fall out of that and it's mostly due to lack of guidance and consistency on the NRA's part.

Here's the official NRA letter and form from the NRA:

http://www.mtbpcr.com/ScoreReportFormSilhouette.pdf
http://www.mtbpcr.com/SilhouetteLetter.pdf
Del

Post by Del »

Don McDowell wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:36 am Del have you fired any midrange matches since 2013?
Not in quite awhile. At least three years I think as Butte quit having their Midrange matches about two years ago and I didn't shoot in them for a couple of years before. It's possible that I did shoot a match three years ago but I don't think so. That's a looonnnnngggggg time ago!!