Proof test.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Skywagon

Proof test.

Post by Skywagon »

Springfield armory proof tested all the 1903 rifles that left the factory. To anyone’s knowledge does Shiloh proof test the rifles leaving Big Timber.
BFD

Re: Proof test.

Post by BFD »

I have no idea but a lot more 1903 Springfields blew up than Shilohs. I'm quite certain of that.
OLReliable

Post by OLReliable »

Do ANY commercial firearms manufacturers proof test each their products ?? .... 'can't think of one.
wyyyyyyy.... iiiyyyyyy ....awwwtttuh
OLR ..... out
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Nope-Shiloh nor any other USA gun maker does 'proof-testing'.
Not required to.......
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I think that's Shrapnel's job....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
BFD

Post by BFD »

Lumpy Grits wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:49 am Nope-Shiloh nor any other USA gun maker does 'proof-testing'.
Not required to.......
Gary
At least one maker, Cooper, sends test targets with every new rifle. I'm not sure that constitutes proof testing ala a European proof house, but it could be argued to be proof tested.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

BFD wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:15 pm
Lumpy Grits wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:49 am Nope-Shiloh nor any other USA gun maker does 'proof-testing'.
Not required to.......
Gary
At least one maker, Cooper, sends test targets with every new rifle. I'm not sure that constitutes proof testing ala a European proof house, but it could be argued to be proof tested.
Accuracy testing(what Copper is doing), is not proof testing. :wink: Many custom rifle builders will send such targets.
Only place in the USA that will do any real firearm testing. They are not a 'proof-house', and there are none in the USA.
http://www.hpwhite.com/

G.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

I believe that proof testing by definition uses a load that creates pressure beyond the design pressure. Even if it passes, it can still cause degradation.
I would not want my production rifle to be subjected to that!
CBarnard

Post by CBarnard »

When my Shiloh arrives here in the UK it will have to be proofed at the London Proof House before I can take possession, due in next week. I had to have my
38-55 Shiloh proofed two years ago.
It all takes time and money.
Chris 8)
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

CBarnard wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:20 pm When my Shiloh arrives here in the UK it will have to be proofed at the London Proof House before I can take possession, due in next week. I had to have my
38-55 Shiloh proofed two years ago.
It all takes time and money.
Chris 8)
How do they proof a non-production BP cartridge :?: Where does the proof house get the ammo?
That's been the law in the UK for well over 100+ yrs.
IIRC- Pretty much the same law throughout Europe, I believe.
G.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Hodgdon’s does proof testing.

And has proofed Shilohs in the past.

Kenny W.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:25 pm Hodgdon’s does proof testing.

Kenny W.
Good to know-
TNX for the info. I stand corrected........
When did they start doing this?
I remember seeing an action that Kirk had someone do destructive testing on.
Hope all is well with you Kenny :!:
Gary
johnl

Post by johnl »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:25 pm Hodgdon’s does proof testing.

Kenny W.

First time I was at Shiloh a fine gentleman gave me a tour of the facility. His name was a Robert. Very friendly and very patient with all my questions. I remember asking about proofing and he mentioned what Kenny said. At the time some parts for their 77 were in the white on a table. I asked how long did he work at Shiloh, with a chuckle he told me he was the the kids Father (Kirk, Lucinda) and the original owner :lol:
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

It makes perfect sense to me to do proof-testing during qualification of a design, and I'm not surprised to hear that Shiloh did some.

But I would be surprised if many manufacturers in the USA see proof-testing of all firearms off the production line as necessary or desirable.
I think that modern traceable materials, modern design and manufacturing and inspection tools, and current controls available for heat treatment, makes it much less likely for strength issues to occur during production than in 1903.
But I guess you can be stuck doing whatever your government requires, because governments always (think) they know what's best!
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I got a tour of the Beretta factory in Accokeek, MD when they were doing the 9mm for the U S military. Each and every newly assembled firearm was test fired. I don't recall if it was a proof or function test or to adjust the sights but they emphasized that each one was fired.

As a side note Kermit Hoke's son Tim was a tool grinder there and he has now taken over making the Hoke sights for his dad.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"