Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

Re: Proof test.

Post by Woody »

60-40 TIN/Lead with lots of Rosin Flux.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

In the early 80s, I bought a Navy Arms "12 ga magnum" double barrel muzzle loader kit. Directions said to "proof it with a full double load". This was listed as a light 10 ga load, doubled, shot and powder.

Loaded it up, put a 5 gallon bucket in front of it. pilled a stack of old tires on it. Very long cord on the trigger and touched it off. Did it again on the other barrel.

Nothing left of the 5 gallon can!! Shotgun was just fine. Shot a lot of pheasants with it and a few ducks, geese, and a couple chukars.

And yes, I still have it too!!
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Woody
TNX for the info!
Had to read it twice, since std 60/40 electrical solder is lead/tin......
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

When they proof test they use more powder and a heavier or double load of projectile to jack up the pressure.

I always wondered about the wisdom of that though. I understand the concept is that if the firearm can handle the heavier shot and survive it must be good to handle the normal loads.

But it scares me to think that just because the gun survived “undamaged” doesnt mean it didnt end up weaker in the process in a way you cant really see.

Im not a metallurgist or gunmaker but it seems safer to proof the hell out of a few prototypes to make sure the design is solid, than to proof each one that gets sold.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

How do you structurally "proof" a 'black powder only' cartridge rifle? I mean how do you get 3x the charge of black powder into the case? And if it means jacking up the pressure then how would that ever happen with case that can't possibly hold that much powder ever? I can see testing the action and barrel when it is first designed by the engineer but after the size of action and barrel is determined why would any further "proofs" be necessary as long as the original manufacturing specs are adhered to? How do they "proof" a black powder cartridge rifle when you all import them? Is it a safety proof - it doesn't blow up when fired with the recommended ammo? The target that comes with some new guns is a functional proof not a structural proof.
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Load the proof load from the front.......
High Desert Hunter

Post by High Desert Hunter »

Ruger "Proofs" every centerfire that leaves the factory.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles ... out-ruger/
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

I've posted this story before but here it goes again..

decades ago, a young and stupid kid....ME loaded an Original 1860 Colt Army .44 percussion pistol.
I was talking to buddies and forgot to put the Crisco over the chambers.

it went BOOM. All SIX WENT OFF AT ONCE. no chain fire, no delay at all. just BOOM!!!
top load out the barrel
left and right chambers all sent their balls out.
bottom ball, went 1/2 inch...lodged in the loading lever, and bent the lever screw.

35 grain loads times six = 210 grains total
135 grain round ball x six = 810 grains of lead.

Going off in a a then 120 year old pistol, one hand hold,

The gun was fine....I HOWEVER RUINED A GOOD PAIR OF SHORTS.

I shot that pistol many times after that with no problems.....

that was MY proof.....Ken
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

“decades ago, a young and stupid kid....ME loaded an Original 1860 Colt Army .44 percussion pistol.
I was talking to buddies and forgot to put the Crisco over the chambers.”

Kenny, Don’t you ever wonder how we survived our youth..
Regards Richard
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

Richard, I often wonder that...so does my Wife!

I was a Big Brother for years. I told my then 10 yr old Little Bro that he had to put his little kid toys away, and start acting l
like he was 10.
BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS. I said, AS A GUY YOU NEVER HAVE TO ACT OLDER THEN A TEN YEAR OLD!
KEN