BACO Moulds/Bullets: Changes, Corrections & Decoder

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

BACO Moulds/Bullets: Changes, Corrections & Decoder

Post by TexasMac »

Guys,

I know many of you use the so called Jim Kidwell or “Kidwell” bullet in your .40 caliber rifles as I do in my Shiloh Sharps 1874 Sporter. Be aware that until recently BACO’s designation for the mould was JIM409400M4, which was incorrect since the 1st three driving bands are reduced. While doing some research on BACO’s bullet moulds I found 6 moulds/bullets that were either incorrectly identified or had typos in the designation and/or description. Subsequently, around the end of January sent a letter to BACO identifying the errors which have since been corrected. Therefore the JIM409400M4 is now correctly identified as JIM409400M5.

Refer to the following information if you are not familiar with BACOs designations. But keep in mind that there may be possible exceptions.

JIMDDDWWWXY (BACO's mould format)
• JIM: the guy that makes all the moulds.
• DDD: the bullet diameter (0.000”) as cast with 20:1 alloy
• WWW: the bullet weight (grains) with 20:1 alloy
• X or sometimes XX: designates the bullet nose design and other characteristics as per the following list:
C – Creedmoor nose
E – Elliptical nose
FN – Flat nose
M – Money bullet nose
P – Postell nose
S – Spitzer nose
T – bullet is tapered over the full length (i.e. the band diameters get larger from nose to base).
HB – Hollow base
GC – Gas check base
• Y: designates how many bands are tapered as indicated below:
1 - No bands reduced
2 - Tapered 1st band
3 - 1st band reduced
4 - 1st two bands reduced
5 - 1st three bands reduced
6 - 1st four bands reduced

Therefore the JIM409400M5 “Kidwell” mould as made by Jim (not Jim Kidwell :roll: ) will, when using 20:1 alloy, produce a 0.409” diameter bullet weighing 400grs, has a "money bullet" nose and the diameter of the 1st three driving bands are reduced (less than 0.409” for this example).

I hope this helps.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
TexasMac

Re: BACO Moulds/Bullets: Changes, Corrections & Decoder

Post by TexasMac »

The "Y" designator description should read “Designates how many bands are reduced in diameter as indicated below”

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
AzTBH

Post by AzTBH »

Thanks Wayne for clarifying what the numbers and letters signify. I noticed that that the drawing for JIM409400M5 “Kidwell” mould is also much more detailed with all the dimensions (e.g. individual band diameters). It would be helpful if BA would include dimensions in all their mold descriptions, particularly the length.

Thanks again,
Ross
Ross McCollum
Peoria, AZ

NRA Life Member
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

AzTBH wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:37 am Thanks Wayne for clarifying what the numbers and letters signify. I noticed that that the drawing for JIM409400M5 “Kidwell” mould is also much more detailed with all the dimensions (e.g. individual band diameters). It would be helpful if BA would include dimensions in all their mold descriptions, particularly the length.
Thanks again,
Ross
Ross,

I certainly agree that would be very helpful informaiton. I said in my inital posting that I sent them a letter. Actually I used the "CONTACT US" link on their website to send them the data. I suggest you do the same with your suggestion. BACO seems to be open to realistic suggestions.

Wayne
CBarnard

Post by CBarnard »

Thanks Wayne, useful to know.
Chris 8)
AzTBH

Post by AzTBH »

TexasMac wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:08 pm
AzTBH wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:37 am Thanks Wayne for clarifying what the numbers and letters signify. I noticed that that the drawing for JIM409400M5 “Kidwell” mould is also much more detailed with all the dimensions (e.g. individual band diameters). It would be helpful if BA would include dimensions in all their mold descriptions, particularly the length.
Thanks again,
Ross
Ross,

I certainly agree that would be very helpful informaiton. I said in my inital posting that I sent them a letter. Actually I used the "CONTACT US" link on their website to send them the data. I suggest you do the same with your suggestion. BACO seems to be open to realistic suggestions.

Wayne

Thanks for the suggestion Wayne. I used BA's "Contact Us" link this morning with a request that they add detailed information to all their mold descriptions.

Good shooting,
Ross
Ross McCollum
Peoria, AZ

NRA Life Member