1877 and MVA sights

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

green chile

1877 and MVA sights

Post by green chile »

I’m excited to have a Shiloh Sharps 1877 coming my way from Goodman. I’ve been looking at the MVA sights but haven’t figured out which ones I want. Any sight suggestions for silhouette, hunting and shooting up to 1000 yards? Most of my shooting is under 500.
semtav

Re: 1877 and MVA sights

Post by semtav »

MVA is top of the line., But a lot depends on you. I just sold my MVA's and am going to the Hoke LR because I like that style of windage adjustment. Unfortunately it costs money to really test til you find the one you like.
38-72

Post by 38-72 »

Where I shoot 1000 yard matches, the wind is almost always blowing. I really like my MVA #103 Long Range Buffalo. It has lots of windage adjustment.
See the other Washington, Eastern!
BFD

Post by BFD »

green chile wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:10 pm I’m excited to have a Shiloh Sharps 1877 coming my way from Goodman. I’ve been looking at the MVA sights but haven’t figured out which ones I want. Any sight suggestions for silhouette, hunting and shooting up to 1000 yards? Most of my shooting is under 500.
Personally, I find 1000 yds sights to be not very compatible with hunting. At least not my style of hunting.

1000 yd sights are almost always Soule sights. There are exceptions, but not many, not often, and rarely among the top shooters.

Hunting sights need to be rock solid. The knobs on a Soule are anything but rock solid. They are easily bumped off of the zero. I hunted elk 1 time with a soule and never again. I was successful but it took 3 rubber bands to get that knob well strapped down.

I use shorter vernier sights for hunting that are quickly adjustable for range, but which have windage more securely locked down on the eye cup or no windage at all.

On some rifles where I may want to also use the barrel sights, I opt for tang sights that do not have an elevator screw and arrange things so the staff will lie flat and not pose an eye hazard when folded down. There are a lot of factors that figure into this arrangement. Not all sights can do it.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Like so much in BPCR a lot of it is just opinion that you will have to find for yourself what you like. That being said, I have to agree with Brent about hunting with a soule sight. I think you really want a long range soule to shoot silhouette and long range with. ( Personally I don't care for the buffalo model.) Trying to hunt with it is a wreck, however. It is big, fragile, expensive, and easily knocked off of the settings you want. I prefer to hunt with barrel sights and am comfortable with them out to 200 yards or a little bit. So, I would get a long range soule and barrel sights and just swap them back and forth. I ended up buying another Shiloh that I keep barrel sights on just for hunting and that way I can leave my competition rifle set up. It has worked out well. :D
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I have 4 MVA tang sights, LR,MR Soule and two of the short gallery/hunting tang sights,one with windage one without. I have fitted 4 of my lever action rifles and three of my Shiloh's with MVA bases.All sights are interchangeable from a single base. I would not hesitate to use the shorter sights for hunting along with a Hadley cup, the small one not the magnum. The MVA short sights without windage are good if your tang is drilled and tapped square to the bore aleviating the need to move the front sight to an extreme L/R position.I had used the # 110,#111 fronts sights for years nd decided to use the #115's on two new Winchester/Miroku 73's,why I never looked at these before I don't know but they are significantly better suited for a rifle that will be hunted and just look better IMO.
The problem I 've had with any one else other than MVA is their not a single source for everything you might want a companies compatibility within their product line. MVA answers the need for about anything you want to attatch a tang sight to and do it with aplomb. They will attempt to make you what you need if they can. And just a plain good value for the quality of the product. Yes I like MVA.
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I have 4 MVA tang sights, LR,MR Soule and two of the short gallery/hunting tang sights,one with windage one without. I have fitted 4 of my lever action rifles and three of my Shiloh's with MVA bases.All sights are interchangeable from a single base. I would not hesitate to use the shorter sights for hunting along with a Hadley cup, the small one not the magnum. The MVA short sights without windage are good if your tang is drilled and tapped square to the bore aleviating the need to move the front sight to an extreme L/R position.I had used the # 110,#111 fronts sights for years nd decided to use the #115's on two new Winchester/Miroku 73's,why I never looked at these before I don't know but they are significantly better suited for a rifle that will be hunted and just look better IMO.
The problem I 've had with any one else other than MVA is their not a single source for everything you might want a companies compatibility within their product line. MVA answers the need for about anything you want to attatch a tang sight to and do it with aplomb. They will attempt to make you what you need if they can. And just a plain good value for the quality of the product. Yes I like MVA.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

For hunt'n-use the barrel sights.
For target work-the Buffalo Soule LR, and the #113 front have worked well for me for many yrs.
The Buffalo Soule has twice the windage, over the standard Soule MVA offers.
I also like the Hadley eye cup.....
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
BFD

Post by BFD »

Lumpy Grits wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:34 pm For hunt'n-use the barrel sights.
For target work-the Buffalo Soule LR, and the #113 front have worked well for me for many yrs.
The Buffalo Soule has twice the windage, over the standard Soule MVA offers.
Gary
For hunting, use the kinds of sights you are comfortable with - just make sure they are matched to the job.

A buffalo soule is a solution to a problem I've never had.
Woody

Post by Woody »

A buffalo soule is a solution to a problem I've never had.
I agree. In all of the long range matches I've shot, I've needed more than 22 minutes of windage only one time. 28 minutes, Raton, NM during the Nationals. I don't like the looks of the overly wide Buffalo Soul. When I ordered my 77 and when I built my High Wall for long range, I put the MVA windage adjustable front sights on them. That and the regular MVA Long Range Soul will get through anything Raton has to offer. If the wind is that strong you are not going to be shooting, unless you have no other choice. If you must shoot, just put half of your expected windage on the front sight and dial the half in the rear. You will still have way too much windage remaining to use as you see fit.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
green chile

Post by green chile »

I appreciate everyone’s responses. I know my post seemed to be asking for too much for 1 set of sights to cover. Point taken. That’s why they make different options that can be switched out.

Barrel sights cover most hunting applications for me...add a small tang sight and I’m good for hunting.

I figured there would be more buffalo sight suggestions so that’s been interesting to see. The windage front sight Is a good option to consider.
BFD

Post by BFD »

I'm not a fan of windage front sights for anything. They catch on everything and are one more thing to bad in the middle of whatever matters most. And they are hell on gun cases. Good luck shooting one with barrel sights. Yes it can be done, but it ain't convenient.
semtav

Post by semtav »

BFD wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:31 pm I'm not a fan of windage front sights for anything. They catch on everything and are one more thing to bad in the middle of whatever matters most. And they are hell on gun cases. Good luck shooting one with barrel sights. Yes it can be done, but it ain't convenient.
I put them on several of my rifles when all I had only 20 +/- min windage on my rear sights. thought they'd be the cats meow. Not only took up some of the rear sight elevation, they are just unhandy. The Extra windage MVAs and the Hoke with 40+ min windage did away with that need, but I'm sure there is an argument to be made not having the rear sight off to the side so far. I just don't shoot enough to keep track of what I can't see ( front sight windage)
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

green chile wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:10 pm I’m excited to have a Shiloh Sharps 1877 coming my way from Goodman. I’ve been looking at the MVA sights but haven’t figured out which ones I want. Any sight suggestions for silhouette, hunting and shooting up to 1000 yards? Most of my shooting is under 500.
You're really talking about trying to make 1 rifle do several different things. That's going to require different sights. To start it off you might want to take a look at the MVA 134, that will get you to 5-600 yards, with 14 minutes windage. With that upside down elevation adjustment screw it's about the only tang sight short of something like the Marbles or Lyman peep that will be alright for hunting. Hunting if the rifle has barrel sights , that's the best way to go. To go 1000 and not have to change sight bases, the long-range buffalo is what a lot of my rifles wear. I like the Hoke and Baldwin sights, but I don't know if they make a base for the 77. Even if they do then you're dealing with windage adjustment that could to easily be adjusted when carrying the rifle, and not know it until it's to late.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

The MVA Mid-range with a Soule base will suit you for what you want to do. If you feel the need for the long range, you need to consider just how much you would even shoot that far. If it is something you would do, get the long range sight. MVA makes a fantastic sight and I doubt that you need to look anywhere else. I have them on my BPCR rifle and 1877 as well.

I have taken my 1877 into the field and actually shot something with it. That is what they were made to do...

PROUD MEMBER #2 OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB!