1877 and MVA sights

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

buffalocannon

Re: 1877 and MVA sights

Post by buffalocannon »

I have MVA Sharps LR 107 and MVA 112 on front. Hadley magnum eyedisc. Never wanted for anything else. When very windy, I just dial in some front wind and monkey with rear sight for fine tuning. What could be easier?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Woody wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:01 pm
A buffalo soule is a solution to a problem I've never had.
I agree. In all of the long range matches I've shot, I've needed more than 22 minutes of windage only one time. 28 minutes, Raton, NM during the Nationals. I don't like the looks of the overly wide Buffalo Soul. When I ordered my 77 and when I built my High Wall for long range, I put the MVA windage adjustable front sights on them. That and the regular MVA Long Range Soul will get through anything Raton has to offer. If the wind is that strong you are not going to be shooting, unless you have no other choice. If you must shoot, just put half of your expected windage on the front sight and dial the half in the rear. You will still have way too much windage remaining to use as you see fit.

Woody

The 805 yd Buff target at the 'Q', the std MVA Soule my wife used ran out of windage. She had to 'hold-off' to make her hits.
I was using the Buffalo Soule sight on the same target. Had the windage needed to let me dial on, and hold for center hits.
Shooting here in the Mojave-The windage dial gets a workout.
I use the Ron Snover 'lollipop' front sight inserts, and a Hadley eye cup.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
38-72

Post by 38-72 »

I have never ever wished my sight had less windage or less elevation. Many many times, I wished my sight had more windage and elevation. When the spring winds blow, those windage knobs get a work out.

My shooting partner went with a front sight wtih windage adjustment, and after watching me crank in more windage on my MVA Buffalo (with great ease and quickness), that's when he realized he had made the wrong choice in sights.
See the other Washington, Eastern!
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

The closest I've come to running out of windage was my first LR match at Byers. It was a brutal introduction to the wind there. I used 18 minutes at the 800 yard target. Fortunately after that the wind shifted to from a 4 o'clock wind to a nearly 12 o'clock wind for the further targets. When I got home I ordered a LR Buffalo Soule.

I have a couple of the LR Buffalo Soule sights now and like them. Due to the extra width of the Soule drum I find it quite easy to accidentally dial in an extra 0.5 to 1.0 of wind by accidentally brushing the knob while adjusting my hand position for wiping the bore between shots. This is the only downside in my opinion.

Chris.
green chile

Post by green chile »

Love the photos of the turkey. I’m pretty serious about my turkey hunting...took 15 last year in 9 states. One thing I haven’t done is take one with a Sharps. Thanks for the inspiration.
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

If it is windy enough to run out of both front and rear wind, I would rather just be inside sipping Bourbon.
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

If it is windy enough to run out of both front and rear wind, I would rather just be inside sipping Bourbon.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I am happy with the Long Range Soule by MVA. It is well made and repeatable. I do not care for their front hooded sights. The thing I do not like is the thin floppy springsteel thingy that holds the aperture inserts. I much prefer the Steve Baldwin front sight that uses a screw in piece to hold the insert secure. The Kelly front sight works the same way.
green chile

Post by green chile »

Thanks Mike. That is good feedback. I will check into the Baldwin front sight.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Lyman 17a is another that is a screw in sight. Very solid and cheap, but not as large in diameter as the Baldwin and larger is nice sometimes.
bobw

Post by bobw »

You might look at a Lee Shaver front sight as they come with inserts and a level that is inside the tube. The inserts are retained by a screw in ring to hold them in place. Somewhere between $100-$120 at BACO
bobw
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

green chile wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:09 pm Thanks Mike. That is good feedback. I will check into the Baldwin front sight.
Baldwin sights are very good. The level is inside the globe on those and show up quite well.
Steve is a great competitor and supporter of the BPCR shooting sports.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

That 'toe' that hangs over the hood on the MVA front sight, does have 'snag-me' written all over it.
Takes only a few minutes to remove with a stone.
Been run'n the MVA #113 on both of our Shiloh's, and never had an issue.
Been run'n one for over 15 years now. :wink:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
green chile

Post by green chile »

I ended up ordering the MVA Soule #101 mid range with Hadley disc and the Distant Thunder canted octagon front globe sight with inserts. The Shiloh 1877 arrived today. I look forward to getting it to the range.
johnl

Post by johnl »

Kirk Stovall wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:56 am

Hey Kirk

Fine looking pair. BTW the engraving on the 74 looks like it says MAGA :lol: