Informative reading

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Re: Informative reading

Post by jackrabbit »

Glen Ring wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:58 pm I thought most of the articles were very interesting..except the letter thing to the NRA. I didn't like that.
I just got my issue of #105 today. I hope you realized Glen that that letter was a letter to the editor by Zac Taylor and does not and was not meant to represent the opinion of the magazine. The point of the that section of the magazine is for readers to express their opinions, and it is kind of fun when someone writes something controversial as we then get to see the other point of view, and possibly some fireworks. I really hope you write a rebuttal in. Steve will be more than glad to print it. The lead time is usually 2-3 months, so get it sent in ASAP so it will make the next issue. I will be watching for it, as well as anyone else that has a bone to pick about Ol' Zac's letter to the editor.

MikeT--I cannot figure out what you are talking about. I read through the magazine extensively and cannot find any pages out of order, nor do I know of any issue that has them. Please enlighten me, which pages are you referring to as being out of order?

As far as the subscription issues, I talked to Steve about it yesterday and he said Wolfe is aware of the problems and has drastically changed who was in charge of such matters. It will be better. If you are still having problems, please call Wolfe Publications subscription information number at 800-899-7810 and they will get it sorted out. Unfortunately none of the Wolfe subscription people actively follow the Shiloh Forum, so they are only aware of problems if you call them.
take care, Cody
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Cody
Everyone has a right to their opinion and I respect everyone's views..but if Director Farmer and Jim Kidwell were given notice of the article, they MIGHT and that's a BIG MIGHT, want to pen a retort so that all viewpoints could have been published at the same time for the readers to see and come to their own conclusions.

I feel comfortable telling any Black Powder shooter that they will NEVER and I mean NEVER have a better friend in NRA Competitons than Director Farmer. He shot our guns last year and is determined to be a competitor in ALL silhouette sports. He absolutely LOVED shooting BPCR rifles. We all know Jim Kidwell LOVES shooting black Powder.

Jeanne and I are going to Raton New Mexico next month to make SURE everything is available for the shooters competing in BPTR. Director Farmer is planning on meeting us there to see what needs to be done and what needs to be ordered and to compare Inventory sheets. We will drive our truck, pay for our gas, and pay for our meals and room, because Jeanne is dedicated to the shooting sports and putting on the best National Competitons possible.

Last year Jeanne shot everything but BPCR and even then spotted for me..my first BPCR nationals.

One of our friends asked her HOW she does everything for our Club, Regional and National Matches and still finds the time to shoot.
When Jeanne was advised that someone COMPLAINED to the NRA that she was the National match director SHOOtING in her match she stated " I know HOW to do all these things, but when this happens I wonder WHY I do them." Little did the complainer know that Director Farmer was shooting the match also.

These folks are busting their tails to make matches happen and happen well so maybe more support would keep them happy and devoted in those pursuits.

I assure everyone..there is NO conspiracy to eliminate competitons by the NRA.

If you are at the Nationals this year I encourage everyone to introduce themselves to Director Aaron Farmer. He was a career Marine and a thinker, not a reactionary..I know..I tried on more than one occastion to "get his goat"..and I was unsuccesful. He is a fine young man.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Thank you for the response Glen. It was very informative and well written and I and a lot of others truly appreciate what you and Jeanne are doing for our sport. I just had two quick comments. One being to correct you that it was NOT article, but merely a letter sent in from a reader. Two being, how do you know Jim or Aaron were not given notice? If they weren't, they have now been notified. I know both of them read the forum on occasion, so please Jim and Aaron, send in a retort to the Black Powder Cartridge News. I am failing to see your point a little Glen, as I have read things in there multiple times and sent rebuttal letters in that were printed in the following issue. That's just how it works. The editor is not going to call everyone that might be pissed and ask them if they want to retort a reader's letter. Now if it were in fact an article written by staff, then it would have been one sided and wrong. Check out CNN if you want more examples of that.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hope to see you in Raton!
Cody
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Okay. letter/article ..semantics. The information was published/printed/relayed to anyone that could read or listen to a reader quoteing the article/letter/Published item for all the readers to see or listen to. I was only stating my point of view on fairness..and I am the fairest person you will ever meet. I will have no more to say on the matter and will post no more on this forum.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I received my issue #105 yesterday and have not had time to read it all. To me it is the premier magazine related to our type of shooting. The coverage has expanded into a few other areas than BPCR silhouette and Target competitions but that is necessary to keep the magazine going. It is still a full sized magazine when others have shrunk to almost mere pamphlets. Steve published an article by me 10 years ago and I have a few more in mind when I feel inspired to write them. Maybe not everything appeals to you but there is always something for you. We shooters need to keep it going and Steve and Cheryl are always open to any articles written by us.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

john bly times 10 art
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

john bly times 10 art
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

OK, you convinced this new black powder shooter to subscribe to Black Powder Cartridge News!
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Art - 10 + 10 is twenty for John's response and I'll another +1.
Glen (the other Glen(n) from OK - though I've not lived there for a many a year), why would you not post here just because someone may disagree with you? If that were true of us all, this place would dry up and blow away very quickly. Don't be so thin skinned. None of us is correct every time. Even BrianC makes an error now & then (about 20 times in a 120-shot match, give or take ;)). Your (and everyone's) opinion counts and nothing wrong (or necessarily right) in posting them.
And, thanks to Steve & Sheryll for their work on the BCN. Letters to the Editor are just that............... one person's opinion and should be taken as such. Please continue your good work.
Though I met Aaron at last year's nats I will not pretend to know him. However, have known Jim Kidwell for a number of years and can assure you that he is fully capable of responding for himself. If he feels it is warranted, am sure he will.
Glenn
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I have a collectors item in my misprinted BPC news.
The first page in the magazine is #17. The sequence continues until page 32 at which point it starts over at page #17 again.
So I am thinking that there must be something on the first 16 pages that I missed.

Thank you jackrabbit for the phone number to call to report the misprint.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

You do have a screwed up one. I had not seen that before. I have three copies of it here, and they are all fine. I am sure Wolfe will be glad to know about that.
Take care, Cody
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

[quote=MikeT post_id=302360 time=1553040856 user_id=560]
I have a collectors item in my misprinted BPC news.
The first page in the magazine is #17. The sequence continues until page 32 at which point it starts over at page #17 again.
So I am thinking that there must be something on the first 16 pages that I missed.

Thank you jackrabbit for the phone number to call to report the misprint.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
[/quote]

As a retired printer of 40yrs I can tell you that your issue is a screw up in the bindery.Two of the same signatures were inserted when it was bound.They'll send you a correct one I'm sure.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

MikeT wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:14 pm The first page in the magazine is #17. The sequence continues until page 32 at which point it starts over at page #17 again.
Opened my copy last night and the same thing.
Cody - was getting two copies until I called a month or so ago and ask them to start sending a couple of extra copies to you instead of me. Seems they got that right. ;) Maybe the printing is now done in China. Time to call again to get the missing pages.
Glenn
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

I've been a subscriber since the beginning but this last few months has just about put an end to my annual renewals. Yesterday I received the latest issue (Spring 2019; #195). That's the second one on my renewed subscription. It came with the big red "STOP" sign that it is my last issue. Geeze, do I have to call Wolf publishing every month? Nothing wrong with the magazine, but the "new" subscription computer is totally messed up, unless of course, someone down there put a "FOF" on my folder.

Sempert Fi,
George
Salmon, Idaho
dbm

Post by dbm »

If anyone is still looking for some informative reading, try my free to download magazine; Research Press Journal.

It’s a bit of an eclectic mix of contemporary 19thC articles and newly written pieces on target shooting and firearms and other things that catch my interest. There’s five issues to keep you entertained for now and another due soon.

David
www.researchpress.uk - www.facebook.com/researchpress
Historical Firearms, long range target shooting and military history