Informative reading

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Informative reading

Post by Glen Ring »

I took up BPCR silhouette last year. Jeanne bought me a sub to Black powder cartridge news MAGAZINE. I RECEIVED THREE OF THE SAME ISSUE AND AFTER RECEIVING THE MAGAZINE TODAY, i DON'T THINK i'LL BE READING IT IN THE FUTURE. CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A GOOD MAGAZINE ABPUT THESE GUNS.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
jackrabbit

Re: Informative reading

Post by jackrabbit »

What did you not like about it Glen?
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

I have to agree with Glen. It was really great when Steve Garbe was running the show, but I feel it has gone downhill a good bit since Wolfe Publishing took the reins. I re-subscribed in November; never received anything except a notice that my subscription needed to be renewed. Called them and thought I had it straightened out. Got my first issue in February and next day a notice that it was my last issue. Called again.. Maybe it got fixed this time, but I doubt I will renew.

Glen - - -try the Single Shot Exchange.

Gerorge
Salmon, Idaho
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

So George, you like the content but are just frustrated with the subscription service?

As far as it going down hill, the only thing Wolfe does is the subscription part and selling the advertising. Steve and Sheryll still do all the editing and writing. Personally, I think it has gotten better since Wolfe took over as Steve and Sheryll now have more assets and people to draw from. It is my favorite magazine and I guess it is a bummer you guys don't seem to like.

There is not much out there as far as any kind of media about BPCR. The Shiloh forums, the BPC News, The ASSRA forum and Single Shot exchange are about it. To some extent, we all contribute to their content, so if you don't like the content then do something about it. The ASSRA forum and the Single Shot Exchange are less interested in black powder than we are, but both are still interesting to follow.

As far as the subscription problems, I don't have any excuses for that. I know several readers that just drop by Walmart or Barnes and Noble and pick one up. Some of the tighter ones just read it at Barnes and Noble, and then put it back when done..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
take care, Cody
hipshot1

Post by hipshot1 »

I agree with Cody, the only problem I see is it only comes 4 times a year.
A man must standup before you can see how long of a shadow he will cast
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Great magazine will keep buying it
45bpcr

Post by 45bpcr »

Glenn,

Black Powder News is the premier periodical for all things pertaining to our sport.

You're a year into it, and have a lot to learn.

Take it slow and easy OK?

C
Live Free or Die, Death is not the worst of Evils
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I was excited when Jeanne told me she had purchased a year's sub...then i received three of the same issue..then the last one. I thought most of the articles were very interesting..except the letter thing to the NRA. I didn't like that. I really like anything written by Mike Venturino and i wish the Great Brian Chilson would write. He was so nice and helpful at my first BPCR nationals last year. I used Brian's tips at a 22 BPCR match today to shoot 9/15 chickens. As far as taking it Easy I am full speed ahead. I hope to see most of you in Raton at the nationals and then later in September at our regional in Oklahoma City.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I have subscribed to the following magazines for many years:
* the BPCR News
* The Single Shot Exchange
* The ASSRA Journal
The only trend I see in all 3 is that fewer gun cranks are not writing articles for the magazines. Accordingly, more 'filler' articles are in them in-order to fill the pages including match scores
Glen the 2 magazines that still have gun articles in them are:
* The Single Shot Exchange ... buy the back issues and you'll read for a month - https://www.singleshotexchange.com/prod ... ck-issues/
* https://www.singleshotexchange.com/prod ... ory/books/
* The ASSRA Journal ... join ASSRA and in every issue is a listing of pages of gun related books & articles for sale:
http://www.assra.com/membership_dw.htm
http://www.assra.com/assra_book_shelf_dw.htm
Regards
John
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Lee shaver does a wonderful job and love the mag, I too had the BP cartridge news and didn't find it to be as good. Nothing against Steve or his crew, just didn't like the mag.......
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Also for the BEST informative reading...................your already on this site "WE" are the people that make this sport, "WE" are the people who make the matches, "WE" are the people who who have continued this great sport, now "WE" are not alone in this world but you have some of the best shooters in the world at your finger tips willing to give answers to any of your questions, and in my eyes that is the most informative reading you can get.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

jackrabbit wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:19 am So George, you like the content but are just frustrated with the subscription service?

As far as it going down hill, the only thing Wolfe does is the subscription part and selling the advertising. Steve and Sheryll still do all the editing and writing. Personally, I think it has gotten better since Wolfe took over as Steve and Sheryll now have more assets and people to draw from. It is my favorite magazine and I guess it is a bummer you guys don't seem to like.

There is not much out there as far as any kind of media about BPCR. The Shiloh forums, the BPC News, The ASSRA forum and Single Shot exchange are about it. To some extent, we all contribute to their content, so if you don't like the content then do something about it. The ASSRA forum and the Single Shot Exchange are less interested in black powder than we are, but both are still interesting to follow.

As far as the subscription problems, I don't have any excuses for that. I know several readers that just drop by Walmart or Barnes and Noble and pick one up. Some of the tighter ones just read it at Barnes and Noble, and then put it back when done..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
take care, Cody

Here's a forum that supports us......
http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php

Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

bpcr shooter - Agree with you 99% except for Dan Theodore's posts ... God Rest His Soul
I miss him and the knowledge he provided to the BPCR Community including "The Money Bullet" - 1:16 alloy and the many tests he performed about alloy aging to name a few
Regards
John
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Grits - We forgot to add the BPCR forum ... when it's working :lol:
http://www.bpcr.net/forum/index.php?sid ... c4a408c1cc
Regards
John
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I just got my Spring 2019 Issue 105 in the mail today. BPC news has been better in the past, especially when the pages are in the proper sequence.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT