NRA Elections

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

NRA Elections

Post by jackrabbit »

I was hoping for advice on who to vote for in the 2019 NRA election. Any thoughts are appreciated as I know very little about any of the people running. Thanks, Cody
SSShooter

Re: NRA Elections

Post by SSShooter »

I try to read the bio's and support those who are competitive shooters. Also, avoid draft-dodging celebrities like Ted Nugent. Tom Selleck and the like are fine, but they aren't competitors. .
Glenn
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

For decades I have heard lamentations from all areas of the NRA that there are too few candidates that are or were in fact competitive shooters on the board of directors as well as few true competitive shooters appointed to the various committees.
That was delivered with the caveat that shooting in one BB gun match in High School ROTC did not qualify the candidate as a competitive shooter as a case in point.

In fact, I was told that candidates representing a competitive shooting background were not and had not been competitive shooters and once elected to the board showed no interest in competitive shooting much less promoting it. Which lead to the recommendation that if only three on the list of candidates qualifies as a competitive shooter only vote for those three.

Someone that has been a Regional Champion, State or National Champion (double distinguished even) and heaven forbid a World Champion probably has a pretty good idea of what Competitive Shooting is all about.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
45bpcr

Post by 45bpcr »

I'm just thinking out loud here and dreaming from the cross sticks.

I wonder how things would play out if the NRA offered Brian and Debbie a monetary stipend for their advice on BPCR matches

Elections are what they are.
I voted and I'm happy with my choices.

Will internet posters agree with my choices?
Probably not.

:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink:

How'd I do zack?

I guess i don't have a lot of advise on this matter Cody
I look at the issues and vote in a matter that I feel best addresses those issues.

It's my vote, and my vote counts.

Up here in NH, a young lady who's a customer, ran for a public office.
She lost by one vote.
She didn't loose her mind and demand a re-count, but quietly accepted the results of the election.
She then went on a blitz to demonstrate the importance of voting.

Craig
Live Free or Die, Death is not the worst of Evils
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Lots of problems to solve to get competitive shooters (honest to goodness competitors) on the board.
First thing is finding someone who has the burning desire to actually put in the time and effort should they get selected.
Next comes how to get the attention of the "nominating committee". Nominating committee's are generally staffed by bereaucrats, who by their very nature are going to protect their own, or someone who will serve well as a board whore (someone that wants to be on a board just so they can say they are on the board) and not rock the boat.
So the chances of getting a shooter, someone who is member of multiple associations, and shoots a multitude of disciplines , and understands what the majority of competitors want, falls to the petition process, and that is going to be a monumental task in and of itself to get someone sorted out, then go on a nation wide campaign to bring the votes to actually make the ballot.
Then once on the ballot there will be a lot of time and effort involved in getting the voting members to cast their ballots for that person/persons, when it's just a bunch easier for most folks to vote for the hollywood/entertainer celebrities, and feel good about sending their ballots in.
Probably be easier to go with a rule change for the board of directors that says unless a person holds at least two current classification cards, they can't be nominated for the board positions.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I guess there is the proposition to get thru this years ballot, to go thru and figure out which two on the ballot are by petition and vote for them only, and then on the back in the write in ballot write in a " some bptr dude" :wink:
BFD

Post by BFD »

Don McDowell wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:43 am, and then on the back in the write in ballot write in a " some bptr dude" :wink:
Kidwell!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Or Danielson.. Hell there's room for 6.
BFD

Post by BFD »

That would be pretty funny, but we have enough unqualified folks running around in elected offices.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

That's the big challenge isn't it. :lol: