Scope length to barrel length that is the question.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

CaptnJack

Scope length to barrel length that is the question.

Post by CaptnJack »

Howdy,
I have been looking at different manufacturers of scopes, mounts and watching online mostly eBay for an old Fecker scope and it seems to me the ones I like are only around 24-28" long. I have a C sharps with a 34" octagon barrel. Wanting to know which would be the best way to go full barrel, half or ?? I want to eventually shoot the 1000 yard gongs. So what brand, length, mounts are people using? Will one scope work for chickens as well as the 1000 yard shoots.
Thanks.
gunlaker

Re: Scope length to barrel length that is the question.

Post by gunlaker »

A lot of people prefer one length over another because they like the way it looks.

Longer is more "period correct", but shorter will keep your face closer to the wood at long range. The MVA 23" scopes use a much shorter mount spacing than the longer ones so they need less elevation to reach the same distance.

It is a trade-off though. The 23" scopes have pretty fine adjustments, 0.003" for a minute of angle vs. 0.005" for a 28" scope.

Chris.
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

i use a mva 28" scope with the long range mount. chickens to 1000+ great scope looks fine on a 32"
' barrel art
darrel.franson

Post by darrel.franson »

If you plan to leave the front iron (globe) sight on the barrel be sure the scope you choose isn't so long that when it slides forward in its mounts upon firing it doesn't impact the globe. My MVA (series 4000 I think) did exactly this. I had to have them cut a couple of inches off to avoid such. I wanted to leave the front globe on so I could remove the scope and re-mount the vernier tang sight (in a few minutes) if I ever wanted to. If you intend to remove the front sight this would not be an issue.
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

CaptnJack wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:50 pm Howdy,
I have been looking at different manufacturers of scopes, mounts and watching online mostly eBay for an old Fecker scope and it seems to me the ones I like are only around 24-28" long. I have a C sharps with a 34" octagon barrel. Wanting to know which would be the best way to go full barrel, half or ?? I want to eventually shoot the 1000 yard gongs. So what brand, length, mounts are people using? Will one scope work for chickens as well as the 1000 yard shoots.
Thanks.
The long answer is, a scope for shooting 1000 yards will be hard to shoot at 200 yards. I say this because of magnification. My Creedmoor Rifle is using a 23" MVA "A" scope at 10X with a 10 power reticle. My Mid range rifle uses a MVA Series "B" with 4X power. Ever try to shoot off hand at a small target using a high power scope? Doesn't work to well. Even the standard MVA scopes have 6X power which can be nerve racking shooting off hand. So....you can try to shoot chickens with a 6X and see how well you do. 6X does work pretty well for the 1000. If it were me wanting to have 1 rifle/scope combo for shooting mid range to long range I would go with the MVA 23", centerless mill dot reticle and the MVA silhouette mount.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.