Joining the ranks... Finally!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Williamsmattc

Joining the ranks... Finally!

Post by Williamsmattc »

Well I am patiently waiting for the calendar to roll around to my production date! I am 44 years old and have dreamed of owning a Sharps rifle for 31 years!

As a 13 year old I was helping two elderly brothers that owned a neighboring ranch clear some brush. Both were in their 90’s and still very active. As we worked One day I mentioned that I liked old guns. On our next break, the older brother went in the house and returned with an ancient Sharps wrapped in an oily saddle blanket.

He handed it to me to examine and it had obviously seen a lot of use. They explained their grandpa was a professional buffalo hunter in the 1870’s and 80’s in the northern states, and this was his favorite rifle. The forend was worn nearly to the barrel on the right side from it being carried across the pommel of his saddle and the edges of the octagon barrel were worn near round in places.

They allowed me to examine it and I felt beyond privileged to hold it. After a few minutes, one of the brothers asked if I would like to shoot it and I excitedly said “Yes!” An old cigar box was produced with a dozen nearly coal black, paper patched rounds!

They explained I had to sit down to shoot it and they set up a few logs for me to rest it on. As they gave me a brief manual of arms, I noted the worn marks on the barrel. 45- 2 7/8

They pointed to a large cow pie about 75 yards away and said that was my target. They also said the rounds may not fire because they were from “before the war.” I commented that at only about 50 years old they should work. The older brother laughed and said “Spanish American War!”

The first round fired flawlessly, leaving a cloud of smoke and a crater where the pile of dung had sat! The next round did not fire and the third was a slight hang fire. The next three were perfect, but all I could handle! They took the next hour boiling water and showing me how to properly clean it. I was given a case as a souvinere and I told myself that “one day” I would own a sharps!

When “The movie” came out I again swore that someday I would own one! A few years ago I tried to buy an original Business rifle, but could not swing it with a mortgage, family and other responsibilities.

Last year my mother was dying of cancer and explained that I was going to be having some money coming my way. She made me promise to spend some on myself and to get something “meaningful.” I knew what that would be without a second thought.

We buried mom in September, and in October I placed the call to Shiloh. I felt like a little boy on Santa’s lap as I relayed my request.

Hartford Model, .45-2 7/8, 32” barrel, shotgun butt, pewter tip, long range Soule buffalo sights, 7 degree leed, hand select wood for red color, pack hardening and a few other details, as best as I could recall from my memory of that original rifle.

It’s about 13 months out, but I can already feel the shove of recoil! I’m a life long shooter and have 23 years of hand loading experience. Mounds, brass and supplies are already purchased and a quantity of Swiss 1.5F is on hand.

I am learning what I can about casting and paper patching from every source I can!

This is going to be an awesome adventure!
COBPTR

Re: Joining the ranks... Finally!

Post by COBPTR »

Great story!
Hope to see you on the line soon.

Robert G.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Thats an awesome story. don't suppose you remember the brothers last name??
Williamsmattc

Post by Williamsmattc »

semtav wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:47 pm Thats an awesome story. don't suppose you remember the brothers last name??
Orin and Wilber Bill
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

That's a long wait! I hope your new journey is as enjoyable as mine. Nothing but fun ahead!!
johnl

Post by johnl »

Cool story, your Shiloh will help you to remember it for years to come. BTW on you next one, sadly there might be :lol: which is a good thing. Go through Bill Goodman, going through him shaved about a year and a bit off delivery times. YMMV Oh and as lumpy always says, “welcome to the sickness” :D
bobw

Post by bobw »

johnl, that might not be true anymore. OP you should call Shiloh the next time first and see what the delivery time is est. bobw
bobw