Crossno liner vs Miruko lowall

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

stevewhr

Re: Crossno liner vs Miruko lowall

Post by stevewhr »

I'm a fan of the Crossno liner. It's also the only one I've used and the one I started 22 BPCR with. Eventually I went with a dedicated rifle, mostly because I'm fickle and lazy. When I had the liner in I wanted to shoot the big bore or vice versa. Like Cody says, every time the liner is installed you need new sight settings, windage and vertical. However it shoots well and I didn't find it all that slow. Familiarity with it and a system or rhythm is all that's needed. I've had a Stevens 44 and three different versions of a low walls and they all have me digging out cases on some level. I shoot and start removing the spent case while I wait on spotter feed back. Or better put, there is no dead time. Some folks shoot, wait for spotter feed back, then extract. Maybe because I'm multi tasking the time isn't so much an issue. I like life with a dedicated rifle but have no desire to sell my liner. At the worst it makes a good backup rifle if I need a second .22. They are great and you can't get a better shooter without spending 5X or more money. YMMV, good luck with your choice.
wyomingsightdrifter.com
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

As usual I find myself agreeing with Cody. That said I also find that more and more the Law of Diminishing Returns comes into play in my life. I'll be 77 in June and to invest $3000 in a C. Sharps or a CPA .22PBPCRA rifle that I get to use about 4 or 5 times a year just doesn't make sense to me. That's my problem I guess and I don't believe there is anything I can do about it. In defense of the Miroku I own I should point out that I have not shot it with a scope and it seems that most of the wonderful scores being recorded are being shot with a scope. Here again that Law comes into play. I would truly love an MVA Winchester Model 5 but by the time it's in my hands and mounted I have now doubled my original investment for the rifle of $1200 ($675 +35% exchange + shipping + taxes + drilling and taping). I remember last summer at the .22 Nationals when I was registering with Paulette and told her that I would be shooting irons she looked up at me and said, "you're brave." She proved to be right, my score was not something I am proud of. What to do? I believe this discussion has convinced me to try shooting .22 Silhouette with my Crosno liner this summer. That way I get to shoot scope. I'll see how I do. Another possibility is to have the Miroku drilled and tapped for the 28" MVA. I believe it would be legal and although it would look like more scope than gun it may just work. I'll let you know.

Note to S. Fogler: It has been my experience that when lead solvent touches the foam pads on the Shaver they disintegrate. New ones are available.
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Just bringing this thread back and derailing it a bit :-)

Cody, you seem to shoot a lot of .22LR. How do you think the C. Sharps highwalls stack up to the CPA rifles in .22LR on paper?

Chris.
johnl

Post by johnl »

gunlaker wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:58 pm Just bringing this thread back and derailing it a bit :-)

Cody, you seem to shoot a lot of .22LR. How do you think the C. Sharps highwalls stack up to the CPA rifles in .22LR on paper?

Chris.

Hey Chris let me know when you get your .22lr highwall, it’ll give me an excuse to get my ass of the island and check out your range :D
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Well it's just an idea I'm mulling. In order to buy something new, I've got to get rid of a rifle. I could get rid of my .308 ( the only modern target rifle I have left ), but I don't know if I'm ready to do that yet :-).

Chris.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Hey Chris, I do shoot a lot of 22. My Highwall that Mike Lewis built for me has well over 80k on it since 2014, besides several other 22's I routinely shoot. We also run quite a few 22 matches and I see what everybody is up to. I don't think there would be any difference in accuracy between the two actions. I think it is really about the chamber and the barrel. A good match chamber that is cut correctly is imperative to premium level accuracy. I think that a Shilen ratchet rifled barrel is the only way to go. There are 4 or 5 of them in our group of shooters that perform unbelievably well. There are other brands that are good as well, but I have yet to see a Shilen Ratchet that doesn't shoot extremely well. They also do not appear to be picky about a cleaning regiment, which is nice. I clean mine ever thousand rounds or so with a couple passes of a bore snake and that's it.

We have developed a bit of a rivalry around here between Highwall actions and CPA actions. It's all in good fun and a bunch of us have a good time razzing each other about the rifles. The Shuttleworth family are some of the greatest folks you will ever meet and they made a rifle for my Dad that is absolutely fabulous. There are a handful of rifles that I have handled among all of the shooters and matches that I have met or attended that stick out in my mind as being just WOW awesome. Dad's rifle is one of them. The lines, the finish, the balance, the accuracy, the glass triggers are all enough to keep a man awake at night thinking about them. That being said, I seem to fall on the side of the highwalls. I like that they cock themselves and I just like how they feel. Steve Anderson has a C.Sharps 22 that is plumb mouthwatering. It shoots like a house a fire as well. I hope I never have to pick between it and my Dad's rifle.

The real tragedy is that Shiloh does not make a readily available 22. Can you imagine that? I can almost hear the heavens opening and the angels singing..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Cody,
Seems to me a Shiloh Sharps would be kind of a "monster" swallowing little .22 LR ctges.
No offence at all meant for the Shilohs. I/m sure a 22 LR Shiloh would shoot well.
The Martini Henry rifles in 22 cal are 'monsters" in 22 cal. (not so the Internationals and the 12/15s and Cadets
they are scaled just right for 22s and small c'fire ctges.)
beltfed/arnie
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Thanks Cody. I am not sure of what barrels and chambers C. Sharps uses for their .22's. I wonder if the chambers are match chambers or not. I have seen a couple of C. Sharps highwalls for sale, but it looked like they'd been rebarreled by somebody.

I have a CPA in .22LR that is very accurate, but it's more of a schuetzen rifle, although it has a single prong Schoyen buttplate so it can be shot prone, but it's not 100% ideal.

I like the looks of the 1885's more, but I wonder if a factory CSA 1885 would keep up with my CPA accuracy-wise.

Chris.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Chris CSA uses a "match" reamer in their 22's.
Both of our lowalls will keep pace accuracy wise with the CPA, with the added benefit of not having to worry about the cartridge jumping the extractor in the loading process. Both the lowalls have McGowen barrels.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

According to the way that Steve Anderson's rifle shoots, yes it will. I don't know about the run of the mill rifle from C.Sharps, but if you order it you can request a Shilen barrel and match chamber. Steve's rifle was made a year or two ago and is VERY nice and one of the most accurate rifles that are shot in our matches. I am telling you, it is defintely drool worthy.

Beltfed, I was thinking along the lines of Shiloh making a 22 in some other action. Winchester 1885 would be my pick. I wonder about a Borchardt in 22? Bryan Youngberg has a 1874 in 22 that he competes with and it is super cool. As you say, it is a little large and the shells are trick to get in and out with a scope on it. Bryan has it figured out, however, and you sure don't count him out of being in the winner's circle.

By the way, my inquiries to Shiloh making a highwall or borchardt have been met with replies similar to not a snow ball's chance in hell.... :lol: :lol:
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Thanks Don and Cody!

I remember when there was talk of Shiloh building Borchardt rifles several years ago. I'm still waiting :-). Mine is going to be a heavy barreled one chambered in .45-2.6" :-)

Chris.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

A 22 borchardt would be way cool, but alas it would be like our big bore 78's only "legal" for BPTR matches.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

I sure wouldn't mind a Shiloh Ballard myself!
Sam
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

I sure wouldn't mind a Shiloh Ballard myself!
Sam
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

OOOOHHHH!!!!! A Shiloh Ballard!! Now that is the best idea I have heard in some time!!