Crossno liner vs Miruko lowall

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

johnl

Crossno liner vs Miruko lowall

Post by johnl »

Gents

Do does the liner stack up against the little japchester (browning with 24” extractor half round barrel)? Reason I’m. Asking is because by the time the liner lands in my hands it’s about $350 due to exchange rate and taxes shipping etc :( A guy I know is selling the low wall for around a grand. So about $700 more for a dedicated rifle. Not a Ballard or a CPA but for a grand?? The liner will go in my #1 26” Sporter. I have on the Shiloh MVA sights, the browning needs some. Hmmmm. Thoughts. Thanks.
Gussy

Re: Crossno liner vs Miruko lowall

Post by Gussy »

Had a liner and quickly got tired of it. Loading and extracting was slow.

I have the Winchester and put Browning BPCR sights on it. I shoot it a lot.

Your $ and your choice!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Go with the dedicated 22, MVA or Baldwin on the tang, Baldwin on the front. Sk rifle match ammo works well. The rifle may benefit from a trigger job.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I have a Miruko Lowall, a Model 52B Winchester, and a Kimber CMP 22. The Miroko has a MVA rear Scheutzen sight and a Baldwin front. The Model 52B and the Kimber have their respective aperture sights. The 52B is the most accurate, followed by the Kimber, followed by the Miroku. The differences are subtle. All three like the Lapua Polar 22 ammo. I suspect the differences are based upon the chamber. The 52B's chamber is the tightest of the three. I have a Shaver 22 insert that I shoot in a Shiloh 1874. It comes in fourth place. YMMV! - Mike ps: I considered rebarreling and restocking the Miroku action, using a Model 52 chamber, but it seemed like a lot of bucks for a very small advantage. The lowall stock feels a little diminutive to me and I would appreciate a longer sight radiance (longer barrel). Benchmark makes a great 22 barrel. I bought one and it is sitting in a closet!
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

I've tried the Crossnos liner and it's slow, the Shaver liner and it is better, but I would recommend a dedicated rifle if you want to shoot .22BPCR silhouette matches. After taking the liner out and putting it back in I feel I need to get to the range and test it before a match which I can't always do. I got my Miruko in almost new condition on an online auction for way less than $1000.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

resizedDSC_1598 (2).jpg
Mr. Fogler (we shot together at Smithmoor) you are forgetting to add 35% to anything expressed in US Dollars to arrive at what it would cost in Canada. I paid $1200 CDN for this ($900 USD) and compared to the average $2600 USD for an original Low Wall I think I got a deal. This is my U.S. Repeating Arms / Winchester / Browning / Miroku. It has been re-stocked by a man that JohnL may have met in Kamloops, Gerard Miazga. He also made the Wagon Box. The stock is Rose Wood and I really like it for a change. The stock stock is not a pistol grip and that was the reason for the change. It came with barrel sights only but I was fortunate enough to find the original Browning Vernier sight that is on it for a nominal $50. For serious matches I put an MVA base on it and use my MVA mid-range Soule. I put a Shaver front sight on it to get the necessary height for close range work. I prefer the size of the MVA but they only are made in .5" height. I have shot it now for two seasons and like Don said it does as well with SK Rifle Match as any of the brands in that price range. I have not tried Midas or Tenex. I was told the trigger had been worked on (don't know who) and it is fine as is. I have a Crosno liner for my 40-65 Shiloh and it shoots remarkably well but as suggested by others I like the dedicated rifle. Performance so far is not what I want although I think that is due to a number of reasons. My best .22BPCR score so far is a 24/40 with good results in pigs and Turkeys but Rams were only four if I remember right. I have not found an aperture in the Shaver set that works for me yet. The smallest is still too big so sight picture is an issue, a big issue. I am also going to have the muzzle crowned to 11 degrees later this month when I get together with my friend Gene and I hope that will help out at the Ram line. We'll see how we do this summer.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Paul that is a nice rifle. Gerard does really good work. I'd like a highwall in .22LR one of these days.

For inserts you should ask Jim @ Distant Thunder to make you some. He is currently making some for my large diameter Shaver sight. I really like the ability to customize the dimensions. I also can't use the ones that come with the Shaver sights unless the light is just right.

Chris.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

John, if you come up to Kamloops with one of your .45 calibre boom sticks I can let you try my Crossno liner to see if you like it.

Chris.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Thanks Chris, I'm not sure what it is with the inserts. I may give Jim a try. If the scaling is right on the .22 targets then I should be able to use the same diameter as I do for Rams on regular silhouette as I see it. I'm going to go put a caliper on the smallest Shaver one and the one I use for Rams and see how they measure.

Paul
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

The main problem I find with the Shaver sights id the very fine wire for the aperture. In really bright light it's OK for me but other than that I just don't shoot well with them. I shot for a while using 2 inserts, but still not great. From what I remember, the wire is only 0.010" thick. The ones that Jim is making for me now are 0.040" thick which is about ideal for me.

Chris.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Chris, By wire do you mean the 'annulus' ? That could be part of my problem also. Prior to my cataract being fixed I was using the 10 piece Ron Long set that we call 'Lollipops' because of their heavy annulus. I did measure the apertures I use. For normal Silhouette I use a .100" aperture for Rams. When I measure the Shaver aperture I was using it too is .100" so if the animals are scaled properly the sight picture should be the same. Wrong ! I forgot the Sight Radius comes into play as well. All of my BPCRs have a 30" barrel, the .22 Low Wall only has a 24" barrel so of course the aperture is 6" closer and will appear to be much larger. The smallest Shaver aperture is .080" and that is still too large. I think I will have Jim make me a 0.060" and maybe a 0.050" and see how they work.

Paul
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Yeah. With Jim's web site he'll let you customize the diameter and the thickness of the annulus. Also if you are going with the lollypop style you can set the width of the post.

Chris.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I am guess I will be the odd man out...The original question asked about a liner over a relatively stock Miroku and I would go with the Crossno insert. Like Paul's, the Miroku can be made to shoot very well, but it often takes some bucks and time. The couple that I have had did not shoot all that well with the factory barrels, at least not as well as the Crossno inserts that I have. The triggers are also usually quite heavy, and they are going to need some bucks to buy some decent sights. It is just personal preference, but I don't particularly care for the Miroku stuff. They appear to be a Winchester on the outside, but really their internal workings are nothing like it and are much more complicated than they need to be. I guess it also bugs me that guns are basically illegal in Japan, but they have no problem making and selling them to us. In today's age, there is no reason the same product couldn't be made here. Also, I am amazed that Steve prefers the Shaver over the Crossno. I thought the Shaver was a POS and would not use it. The two problems with an insert are that you basically have to resight in each time you R&R the liner, and there is no extractor so you have to pull them out with your fingers or a little screwdriver. I think these two things are made up for by the fact that the liners are so affordable and you get to practice with the exact same rifle you will be shooting big bore with. I would shoot the liner and save your money for a dedicated 22 C.Sharps lowwall, a CPA, or have a custom smith build the perfect rifle on a MVA action.
Hopefully this was of some value, Cody
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Yeah if money was not an issue, the CPA is a good way to go. Mine was a bit fiddly to get working after I first got it, but it does shoot very well.

Chris.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

The Crossnos .22 case stuck so tight I thought I'd never get it out after I fired it. I didn't feel like fiddling around with trying to pry the case out of the tube every time so I sold it and got the Shaver. It holds the .22 in a cartridge-like device that goes into the barrel just like a full size case - except you have to jiggle it around some to get it in. Which takes up time during a match. My wife has an original 100 year old Stevens 44 1/2 that shoots real well and it cost just a little more than a Miruko and WAY less than a CPA or C Sharps and it came with a tang sight and original Lyman scope. The Miruko is just a way for me to shoot with my wife - the original Stevens is a piece of history and a pleasure to own and shoot. (Well she shoots it - I don't get to touch it except to put it back in the safe when she's done!)