Crossno liner vs Miruko lowall

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

johnl

Re: Crossno liner vs Miruko lowall

Post by johnl »

I had a line on a Browning Miruko but the guy changed his mind :roll: So in the mean time I got a Lee Shaver insert inbound ( thanks Rick :D ) I’ll put it in my #1 26” standard half Shiloh for now. With the Canadian peso the way it is importing a $3000 US custom low wall would be pushing close to 5 g’s once the dust is settled :( I fondled an Uberti low wall but I felt queasy :lol: The hunt continues for a cheaper compromise, maybe I’ll have gun show luck like Mr Stovall and find something at par.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

JohnL you piker :D go for it. Everybody needs a $5000 .22BPCR. :roll: Sounds like my first Shiloh back in 2004 and the Canadian dollar was at $0.65 then too. I was fresh in the game and the need was great. There was a gun on the rack and it had to be mine. The rifle priced out at close to $2800 USD in Big Timber. It went from there to ETSS in Columbine. From there it hopped on Schenker Air and landed in Regina. With the paper work done and in my hot little hands it netted out at $4900 Canadian. It had gained $2100 in cost in the process. And that is why I'm not waiting for an 1877. Our dollar is in the tank once again. Yesterday I purchased some of the USD we will need to 'live the dream' this summer. I paid $1385.50 CDN for $1000 US. Don't try to tell me we are not dedicated BPCR shooters and maybe a little crazy too. :lol: :lol:

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Yeah it's definitely not the best time to be importing rifles. I have a bull barrel rifle on order and am actually a little happy that it's not going to be built this year. I expect it will be a long time before we see the dollar at par again.

Chris.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I too am curious what chamber C. Sharps uses for their 22lr. I think the best set-up would be an MVA action with a Benchmark 22 barrel with a Win Model 52 chamber. It wouldn't be cheap, but none of these rifles are!
Amigo

Post by Amigo »

I have one of the C Sharps highwalls in 22lr I bought from prophet River a few years back,the gun was originally imported by someone else but by the time it arrived they had lost interest in the gun and sold it without firing it.It is a beautiful gun and well worth the money.Mine has one of the C Sharps made ideal style tang sights.

Forgive the pic it doesn t do the gun justice
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
Amigo

Post by Amigo »

Forgot to add my Highwall has a badger barrel on it being it was made a few years ago
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Very nice. I've always liked their highwalls.

How well does it shoot?

Chris.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I would go with a dedicated 22, shot a liner for just a short time. Then a C.Sharps 75 in 22, boy did I catch hell over that! Kirk quit ribbing me when I won the 22 match at Big Whiskey one year with it. I then got a chance at a Ballard, originally with a Kriger 45-70 Barrel, which has a Shilen Ratchet Rifle barrel inside it. Cody and I looked at it hard at Raton, then David Barnes offered me to test run it. After zeroing and Running a bunch of Animals with, Rick Moritz suggestion was, you better buy it. I did, and the rest is history. It is an exceptional shooting rifle.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
johnl

Post by johnl »

Lots of options, lots of expensive options :lol: Nobody mention Hepburn .22lr. Here is one for you deep pockets folk
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detai ... -schuetzen
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

A Ballard would be nice Kenny! The only thing that'd keep me away from them is the lack of gunsmiths and spare parts up here in the North.

I like the way a highwall looks, but have had better luck with CPA than C. Sharps accuracy wise so far. A rebarreled original highwall would be nice though.

Are you and Jimbo coming to Worland for the midrange match next month?

Chris.
johnl

Post by johnl »

gunlaker wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:38 am A Ballard would be nice Kenny! The only thing that'd keep me away from them is the lack of gunsmiths and spare parts up here in the North.

I like the way a highwall looks, but have had better luck with CPA than C. Sharps accuracy wise so far. A rebarreled original highwall would be nice though.

Are you and Jimbo coming to Worland for the midrange match next month?

Chris.

Hey Chris

Echo your sentiments on the Ballard. Question on the high wall. A friend has a shot out original. 40-65 I think, very little to no original patina. Would make a nice candidate for a rebuild. Other than a barrel what else is need to convert it (extractor, firing pin etc) to a rimfire if possible? Who would you get to do the work in Canada?

John
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

John there are probably a few people up here who could do it I guess. I'd all Ron Smith and see if he is interested. I've learned to trust no one up here. I've had a guy up here who came with high recommendations but managed to mess up a couple of scope block installs.

I think the conversion is pretty straight forward though.

With that said, I'd put a Crossno .22 insert into it. They make one for the .40-65 I believe.

Chris.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

John the lack of good gunsmiths up here is what drove me to use Shiloh rifles for my competition guns. They are super accurate, dependable and parts are easy to get.

Years ago I started a few projects up here on custom guns. Some worked out pretty well, and some worked out poorly.

Of all of the custom gunsmithed rifles I own the only ones that will hang with my Shiloh Sharps rifles, accuracy wise, are the ones done by top American gunsmiths with lots of experience in BPCR.

I have one sort of exception to that. It's a CSA 1885 I ordered unchambered. The gunsmith up here cut the chamber way crooked. I couldn't get it to shoot and finally did a chamber cast and saw how buggered up it was. I did make it shoot by breechseating bore diameter PP bullets ahead of the crooked chamber. That's the first BPCR rifle I ever shot a minute of angle ten shot group at 200m with.

Personally I wouldn't take the chance. I have a few projects to finish and then I'll do no more. The most important one is to put an RKS barrel on a Meacham highwall action. I'll try to get Ron Smith to do it, or if not, someone that he or Dave Patterson recommends.

Chris.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Shiloh is going to build 22’s.

Kenny Wasserburger.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
johnl

Post by johnl »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:29 pm Shiloh is going to build 22’s.

Kenny Wasserburger.

WOOOO HOOOO :D