Another Cadet

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Another Cadet

Post by mdeland »

Picked this little Francotti Cadet up last week and thought it might be interesting to see. I really like these little actions with the super fast lock time, excellent trigger breaks and strength.
This one has a side lever to drop the lock works out the bottom and allow cleaning through the receiver hole in the back.
I will have to mount a receiver aperture sight over the rear part of the action from a side plate that fits two threaded mounting holes in the left side of the action.
This barrel is in pretty rough bore shape and is chambered for a .297-.230 Australian varmint cartridge. I'm going to ream it out and try to rifle it in 10 twist and make a .357 Mag carbine out of it. If I screw the bore up I'll re-barrel with a Douglas premium grade barrel like I have on my other martini in .357 Max.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdeland

Re: Another Cadet

Post by mdeland »

Last picture of the four. Used up to many bytes for all of them on the same post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdeland

Re: Another Cadet

Post by mdeland »

The reason all Martini's are so strong is because the back of the breech block is supported by the back of the action, not the pin. The pin is simply the pivot that holds the parts together. I remember reading Frank DeHass saying that Martini actions can be fired perfectly safe with the pivot pin removed as long as the breech block is in battery. Not that I would recommend such but the statement did serve to illustrate how the action is designed and constructed.
About the only thing they lack that I wish were present is some sort of safety which they do not have. One needs to carry unloaded or with the breech lever down to have a safe.