My first Shiloh Sharps

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Huckleberry

My first Shiloh Sharps

Post by Huckleberry »

Just purchased my first Shiloh Sharps rifle - .45-70. What are the first five things I need to know to begin this awesome adventure.
SFogler

Re: My first Shiloh Sharps

Post by SFogler »

Read Mike Verturino's book - Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West - that will get you started on the basics of cleaning both rifle and cases, it talks about the basic stuff you need for reloading your own, and gives you some recommended BP loads with different components. From there you can get out on the range and start working up your black powder loads for your individual rifle. Welcome to this wonderful sport.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

WELCOME to the sickness. :D
What's your background in reloading?
X2 on Mike's book :!:
Which model did you get?
What will you use it for?
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

Definitely read Mike’s book. Also go whole hog and load BP. BACO is your friend
Real gun powder is black.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Lumpy hit the nail on the head, what do you intend to do with this rifle? Shoot sillywet, mid-range, long range, hunt with it, just plink around in the backyard? Question #2: which model did you buy, what kind of buttstock does it have, how long is the barrel? Shooting iron sights or scope?
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:27 pm Just purchased my first Shiloh Sharps rifle - .45-70. What are the first five things I need to know to begin this awesome adventure.
The 1st rule...is that a new Sharps rifle owner has to let all of US break the rifle in nice and proper :D :D Congrats! I forget the other 4 things.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Find the closest range or club shooting and attend a BPCR match, you will find enlightenment 😉
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
bobw

Post by bobw »

Well congrats and all ,but these guys are all full of crap. 1 st thing to do is to load some ammo take it somewhere private check your zero and shoot a couple of groups. Clean and oil it, put it in the case and then pull the top off a really GOOD bottle of cold beer and celebrate the moment and experience of it all. because I said so. bobw
bobw
BFD

Post by BFD »

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:27 pm Just purchased my first Shiloh Sharps rifle - .45-70. What are the first five things I need to know to begin this awesome adventure.
Well, the first one you already screwed up. You are supposed to post a PICTURE or three of the rifle here on the website. So, get that squared away and I'm sure the other 4 will come easily.

Just kidding, but have fun with it, and I'd probably start with bobw's advice for #2, but get #1 out of the way first. Post a picture.
Crowndog

Post by Crowndog »

Me too. 45/70 and am curious as to correct bullet size. .458 .459. Or. ?
BFD

Post by BFD »

.443 or .444... really.
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

Well Brent, that’s probably got him confused. Haha. But .444 for target but.440 works for hunting or casual shooting.
BFD

Post by BFD »

I couldn't resist.

Crowndog. The diameters I threw out there are for paper patched bullets that would be wrapped to a final diameter of 0.450"

You are probably thinking grease groove bullets - which aren't really very finicky, and also not very handsome, but rumor has it they work after a fashion. .458 or .459 aren't going to be any different on the target.

The best answer really depends on what you want to do in the end. Hunt, plink, compete, shoot long range, shoot short range, shoot fast, for precision? The more you tell us, the more likely we can get you a good answer (or a decent set of a baker's dozen answers, as the case may be).
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Crowndog wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:21 pm Me too. 45/70 and am curious as to correct bullet size. .458 .459. Or. ?
WELCOME :D
Either will work.
Try both diameters, and listen to the target.
BTW-OLD bobw has such a way with words. :P
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry »

I hope to have it by Friday in my hands. 32” barrel. Montana roughrider. I plan on using it to hunt. Boar, deer, elk, moose and bear.