Installing scope mounts.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

CaptnJack

Installing scope mounts.

Post by CaptnJack »

Howdy, all.
I am finally going to get me a scope for my 34" sharps 45-110. Looking at the MVA 6000 FL scope with Creedmoor mounts. I was wanting to know if I should go with the already installed dovetails or go with screw on mounts which would mean tapping the barrel. I was reading where the dovetail might have a hankering to come loose with the recoil of the rifle. Which way have others gone? Suggestion, recommendations?
Thanks.
Woody

Re: Installing scope mounts.

Post by Woody »

Drill and Tap. Never had an issue with that method.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

I have 3 rifles with the drill and tap blocks and 1 that are dovetailed. If you're looking for some what authentic, than dove tail. The only issue that I've had is that my scope lens does get coated with black powder fouling after long shooting strings and if shooting real long range the rear scope height is really up there.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Orville

Post by Orville »

If you would like to stay authentic have MVA cut the dovetail on the mounts so the mounts dovetail into the dovetails on the gun if you want to shoot really long range the get multiple cross hairs in the reticle, MVA has these. This works great I have an original gun with this set up. I have several guns set up this way and one with a 35 inch barrel and have no problem shooting a 1000 yards using the bottom cross hair and the standard MVA creedmoor mount.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
CaptnJack

Post by CaptnJack »

Just wanting to know if someone has a few real pictures of a 34" MVA scope mounted on a Sharps rifle. Like to see what it looks like. It's a lot of money to spend just want to make sure.
Thanks.
Orville

Post by Orville »

I’ll try haven’t had much luck with posting pictures lately.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
Orville

Post by Orville »

Captnkack sent you a pm
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

CaptnJack wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:02 pm Just wanting to know if someone has a few real pictures of a 34" MVA scope mounted on a Sharps rifle. Like to see what it looks like. It's a lot of money to spend just want to make sure.
Thanks.
Here ya go--About halfway down the page.
https://montanavintagearms.com/scopes/

G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"