Steel Gong Targets

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Pmgustaf

Steel Gong Targets

Post by Pmgustaf »

Greetings from a relatively new member. I would appreciate getting some advice/suggestions re steel targets. I want to set up a steel gong target to shoot from 200 to 600 yards with my .45-110. This will be strictly for my own casual shooting. I need suggestions as too size, shape, and possible sources. I want to keep it as economical as I can yet have a satisfactory target. I can buy raw material and have it made but need to know where to start. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. ... Paul
BFD

Re: Steel Gong Targets

Post by BFD »

Generally, a high-contrast bull of about 4 MOA is needed to give you a decent sight picture. Depending on what you have behind the target, it may be nice to have, for example, a black 4 MOA bull to aim at, in front of a larger steel plate that will also spot your misses while increasing the definition of the black bull. knowing that you missed is not really helpful. Knowing that you missed 6" out at 10 o'clock is something that you can work with.

Different distances, obviously, require different sizes of targets, obviously.
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

A duplex target is nice. Leaves a nice ring when shot :D
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

A 4'x4' piece of 3/8 steel with a 12 inch 1/2 inch bulls eye mounted on 3 bolts with 3 inch compression springs behind the plate, would give a decent sized aiming point to 600 and give a nice ring when you hit the center. Paint the back plate black and the center white, or vice versa.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Pmgustaf

Post by Pmgustaf »

Thanks for the replies. I purchased some steel and I am now in business! Thanks again. .... Paul