Good casting session today

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Good casting session today

Post by TexasMac »

Getting ready for the upcoming Texas State matches. I believe I’ve got the casting technique pretty well figured out. Now if I can only shoot as well. The 140 bullets are from a BACO JIM410410M1 mould and will be used in a Browning .40-65. I have been using 16:1 alloy for some time but thought I’d try 20:1 for a change to see what happens. Based on a specific gravity test these are actually 21:1.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
kenny s

Re: Good casting session today

Post by kenny s »

nice way to break them by weight. where did you get the blocks?

I usually break them up to within .5 grains. .395.5 to .394.0 and then throw out the high and lows figuring air pockets.
I use the BA .408 reduce front band mold. 1 in 16. good molds. have to keep tightening the sprue cutting plate .

Ken
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

kenny s wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:12 am nice way to break them by weight. where did you get the blocks?
Ken
Ken,

The sorting tray was made by modifying and gluing 6 of the old design RCBS loading trays to a thin sheet of plywood. RCBS is no longer making this design of loading trays but they can be found on eBay. Each tray had alternating holes with different diameter bottoms, some a little small to handle .40 or .45 caliber bullets. So, using a drill press and a wood bit, I made the diameter of all the holes the same. It works great. I sort all my bullets. I know many would consider that excessive but I enjoy doing it and it gives me confidence in the bullets and my casting technique.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

wayne,
if you get any better you will have to buy more loading blocks :) 8)
it already looks like you had to start coming back down 1 row.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

good idea Wayne and thanks.
I've ordered a few and will glue them together to hold the = and - bullets in a row.
I feel the same. may not be necessary, but I enjoy doing it.
weigh the BP charges too....
Ken
green chile

Post by green chile »

I like your tray idea. I’ve been thinking of how to handle that differently. How do you like that style of mould handles?
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

green chile wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:29 am I like your tray idea. I’ve been thinking of how to handle that differently. How do you like that style of mould handles?
There are only two manufacturers of locking mould handles and I really like the aluminum version in the photo which are made by ST Machining. You may be interested in the evaluation of both that I did some time ago: http://www.texas-mac.com/Evaluation_of_ ... oulds.html

Wayne
green chile

Post by green chile »

Thanks Wayne. That was a helpful article. I will try out a set of the aluminum ones.