pacemaker

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SchuetzenDave

Re: pacemaker

Post by SchuetzenDave »

Best thing about the pacemaker is now I remember to cock the hammer before I fire and I do not have to listen to my spotter laughing at me.
Hard to think straight when you do not have enough oxygen getting into the system.
Steve crawford

Post by Steve crawford »

Had IACD for years before my heart transplant. If you have afib or skipping beats, SEE a heart Doctor soon. That stuff can kill you. Burned through 3 different units before my transplant. Shot shotguns and high powered rifles all the time I had them. Had no effect from shooting. Just don't over work your mussels or you will get the **** knocked out of you. It was funny the first 3 or 4 times it happened to me. I did get tired of it before the AICD was removed during my transplant operation. I haven't missed them since. If the rest of my body worked as good as my transplant I would be chasing females all the time. Will be 72 in November. Life is good.

Steve
NRA Life Member TSRA Life Member
Shiloh #1 Sporter 40-2.1 Remington Rollingblock #1 40-2.1
humboldt

Post by humboldt »

Greetings all, I had the pacemaker installed on Monday the 24th.They did a test to see if I needed a defibrillator and decided that a pace maker was all i needed and it was installed. Now, what I am wondering is how long before I can go shooting? Mori
life is good!
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Heal fast and do what the Docs say :!:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Steve crawford wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:36 pm Had IACD for years before my heart transplant. If you have afib or skipping beats, SEE a heart Doctor soon. That stuff can kill you. Burned through 3 different units before my transplant. Shot shotguns and high powered rifles all the time I had them. Had no effect from shooting. Just don't over work your mussels or you will get the **** knocked out of you. It was funny the first 3 or 4 times it happened to me. I did get tired of it before the AICD was removed during my transplant operation. I haven't missed them since. If the rest of my body worked as good as my transplant I would be chasing females all the time. Will be 72 in November. Life is good.

Steve
Steve-May I ask how long you were on the 'list', till a donor was found?
Gary
OLReliable

Post by OLReliable »

Mori,
Hopefully, well before next years Quigley shoot. Ain't the same without you there, Chum. Hope y'kin be there fit and ready in 2020
OLR
wyyyyyyy.... iiiyyyyyy ....awwwtttuh
OLR ..... out
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Mori, I agree with Michael on the pacemaker. I would think it would be OK to shoot but check with your doctor. The atrial fibrillation is not so much danger to the heart but is a big danger for causing a stroke. Patients with AF can be prone to clots in the heart which can then be thrown to the brain causing strokes or death. This is why, barring contraindications, most people with AF take anticoagulants.
Perentie, most people with your symptoms have a condition called premature ventricular contractions. They can be a bit unnerving(don't ask me how I know!). A small number of these happen in most all of us and are usually considered benign but if they occur frequently and in particular are symptomatic(dizziness, shortness of breath, etc) this could be due to underlying heart issues. When I see these in my patients I usually refer to cardiologist who then often does a thing called a Holter monitor which is something like a 24+ hr EKG. Sometimes they also order a stress test. There's something worthwhile sometimes to getting peace of mind so even if you think you're having the benign kind it won't hurt to get another opinion. Caffeine can be notorious for causing PVC's so check on this.
Keith Lay (MD)
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Thanks. I only have one instant coffee a day but maybe I will give it a miss and just have tea. See what happens.
It seems to have slacked off a bit now. Only misses one in about 20.
Steve crawford

Post by Steve crawford »

[/quote]

Steve-May I ask how long you were on the 'list', till a donor was found?
Gary
[/quote]
Lumpy
Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I had computer trouble and then shoulder surgery. I was on the transplant list at Medical City Dallas for over 2 1/2 years. Wife went to a local heart doctor to get checked out and he said for me to try Baylor Transplant Center in Dallas, Texas. got a appointment 3 days after my wife called them. Had to get a vaccination for Measles and wait 28 days to be listed there. 14 days after I was listed at Baylor I had a transplant.
I have not had any heart trouble in 5 years come August 14. I have had a number of operations on other things but no heart trouble. Praise God.

Steve

P.S. Wife did not have any heart trouble, just stress from my trouble.
NRA Life Member TSRA Life Member
Shiloh #1 Sporter 40-2.1 Remington Rollingblock #1 40-2.1
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

TY Steve :!:
Stay the course. :wink:
Gary
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

It has been some time since I have been on the forum. Glad to see that folks are still out there shooting in spite of some medical issues.

I have been dealing with a diabetic foot ulcer for some time now and last week was in the hospital for a week for surgery.

Things seem to be much better now and I have the diabetes under control which is a big help in this issue.

For those with medical issues,do not let them get in the way of your pursuit of the shooting sports. That is a sure way to start a downward spiral if you cannot enjoy the things you enjoy.

Keep your spirits high and the best of everything to you.

Top Dog
Be carefull of the words you speak
Choose them soft and sweet
Yopu never know which ones you're gonna eat