Military or Shotgun butt?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

CBarnard

Military or Shotgun butt?

Post by CBarnard »

For those of you who are thinking about butt stock choice, let me give you my limited experience with the military version. Now I must make it clear that I knew of this downside, for want of a better term, when I ordered my new Shiloh '74.
I already have a Shiloh Sporter No.3 in 40-70SS with the SG butt as well as a 38-55, also SG butt. I get on fine with both of these out to 600 yards, even with the rear sight raised I can still keep the butt into my shoulder. What I really wanted though was a Quigley model - after a health scare a couple of years back I though why not, we are only here once.
Now I actually ordered a Hartford in 45-90, Bill Goodman (great to deal with) said that it would be the same as a Quigley but without the gold initials or the long range rear sight, no problem as I already have a Riflesmith/Axtel from some years back.
I have had this rifle now for a few months and shoot it at my local 100 yard range, only 10 mins drive. Now off the bench I get on fine with the military butt, I enjoy trying out different loads and have recently started trying paper patching, I love the look etc., of my rifle and it is fun to use, I am getting some very good groups, not a true 1" yet, but some VERY close both with gg and pp.
Now as I said earlier, I knew that it would not be very suitable at longer ranges, I know the load would be OK, its just the butt shape, but I had to try it just to see, or should I say feel!!!
I had a competition coming up at Bisley the weekend just gone, 300 yards in the morning and 600 in the afternoon, so I took my Quigley/Hartford just to see what it would be like. As soon as it came out of its slip, a good friend of mine, Phil Morgan, (some of you will know him from his visits to the US and you guys shooting here at Bisley over the years) pointed out to me about the problem I will have at distance with the butt being under my armpit, I said that I was aware of this but just had to try it out.
Many years back Phil's Shiloh had the mil. butt but he soon changed it to a SG style, so he knew what he was talking about.
It didn't take many rounds to find out for myself, at least at 300 I managed a good, competitive score, although my neck and back were aching somewhat, but I hadn't shot prone for over a year so that didn't help. Back to 600 on Century range after lunch. As soon as I got myself down and raised my sight I new that I was in for a challenge, I had 20 rounds for score plus sighters all in 40 mins.. That was the longest 40 mins. for a long time, I did score and not too badly, but I was very uncomfortable at the end.
I can normally take a lot even though I am not a big guy, recoil is not normally a problem, and I suppose it wasn't so much the recoil but the placement of the butt. All I will say now is - never again.
Some of you guys might have found a way to cope and get on with it but for me, I will stick to my 40-70SS for distance shooting.
If any of you have read this far, thanks for reading and sticking with it.
Cheers,
Chris 8)
Youngblood

Re: Military or Shotgun butt?

Post by Youngblood »

Well a real Hartford would have a military butt, so its authentic anyway.

So, im new to all this so i cant really comment, but perhaps learn from you here.

So your issue with the military butt is that its not very user friendly for long range and/or prone firing ?
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Military butts are for those that like to just look at their guns, while shotgun butts are for those of us that like to actually shoot them.....
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

jackrabbit wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:00 am Military butts are for those that like to just look at their guns, while shotgun butts are for those of us that like to actually shoot them.....
This-110% :!:
Also-The military stock gets a long way from you cheek as the distance goes past 500yds.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I like the military buttstock for shooting from sitting or offhand. Shooting from prone if you put a slip on recoil pad such as the shooter friendly pad, or wear one of the Past or limb saver strap on shoulder pads.
It's not to bad shooting from prone out to 800 yards or less, beyond that the drop in the stock makes you have to stretch your neck quite a ways to get a good sight picture, and keeping a good cheek weld gets to be problematic.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?