40-70 Straight Brass

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Mbartles

40-70 Straight Brass

Post by Mbartles »

I don't suppose anyone would know where a feller could acquire some brass for a Shiloh 40-70 SS would they?

Story of my life... I wait and watch for years to get my rifle - 40-70SS Rough Rider, 26" round barrel, 8.5 pounds - perfect for hunting... I finally get the rifle, have enough bullets to take on a third world country, and can't find a piece of brass to save my life.
PhilRich

Re: 40-70 Straight Brass

Post by PhilRich »

Montana Cartridge Co will make to order, it is expensive:

https://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/ ... 20List.pdf

Any 405 winchester brass will work after trimming assuming rim thickness isn't a problem. My 40-70 SS from C sharps is chambered to accomodate the 405 win brass.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

FWIW, Winchester is releasing another run of 405 1895 Winchester Rifles. Hornady is making brass and loaded 405 cartridges. If that brass is suitable, there you go! Buy some if it will work.
PhilRich

Post by PhilRich »

kenny s

Post by kenny s »

I have used the Crraig 30 40 based cases and they work well. nice beveled edge so the block slides up and over easily.
buy all you can afford.
The JBA cases, no longer available, are great too. the JBA are thicker but I think are the best.

WHY WON'T THIS FORUM LET US POST 'FOR SALE' STUFF???? cases, reloading dies etc.
good luck..Ken
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

The thing about Hornady 405 brass in a Shiloh 40-70SS is that the rim thickness on this brassis inconsistent and runs a bit on the thick side for the
Shiloh chambering. The brass is also a bit on the thick side at the case mouth, and a .408 diameter bullet loaded in the case WILL NOT chamber in my Shiloh. Paper patch works very well, but if you want to shoot a greaser with your Shiloh using Hornady brass, you will have to inside neck ream your cases. I have about 150 or so Hornady cases, and it took a lot of hair pulling to get them to work. My Hornady cases are paper patch only.

I have some 30-40 Krag cases, and had trouble with inconsistent rim diameter on them which caused major extraction problems, plus they stretch a bit and I am constantly trimming them. They do handle greasers, though.

JBA cases have none of these problems, and work like a champ. I wish they had been available when I first got my 40-70, as it would have saved me a lot of time and trouble. Shoot straight, rdnck
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

yuup rednek, I see all of the above in mine too.
but. it's just prep work...once all is done, they work fine. My 30 40S each ahve 50 plus through them and no problems in my Shiloh 40 70 SS.
I did buy a seating tool for about $40 for those few that don't want to chamber....handy tool.

if'n I was to want easy peasy, I'd buy a .22 and pretend I had the real Deal...A Shiloh
Ken
bobw

Post by bobw »

Damned if I can understand it. I must have said it 50 times if once on this forum that if you want a Shiloh in 44 SBN's or the 40-70 SS you better damned well secure your brass first, the gun can be built anytime. It's just that SIMPLE bobw
bobw
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

true enough about the cases, but BA has them now...
and....it's authentic to the era...important to me anyway.
like buying a new 73 winchester in 45 colt. just not right somehow.....
:D
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Bob, that is for sure and certain the truth. I own a 40-70SS, and have had it for a number of years, but it was a royal pain in the ass to get it shooting in the first place, and then shooting well. Even now, it gets cranky at times and falls off the wagon and as a result spends more time in my gun rack BY FAR than my 40-65. Having a rifle and no brass or brass to be had is a real bummer--BTDT in the early "80's with a 50-90. If you want to shoot a 40, get a 40-65 and learn how to load it. You will be shocked at what a good, broad spectrum cartridge it really is. No brass problems of any kind, either. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

40 70 SS
went out this AM in the Florida heat.
100 yards
was shooting the new GG 400 grain BA that was working well....then had a bunch of the following...

PP 415 grain BA bullet .408 bore diameter patched with 9 1.2 pound BA paper. weigh in at 418 grains patched.
67 grains of 2 f
1/8 comp using two poly wads (veggie wads are ok too. (really don't need two, one is enough)
30 40 Craig cases. hand seated and slight, and I mean SLIGHT factory crimp. just enough to hold the bullet.
one wet and one dry between shots.

all 8 in 2 inches at 100, nice round, tight group. two inches higher than the GG bullet.
This load has put 10 in 1 1/2 inches at 100 before. as my old eyes would permit.
the 40 70 CAN SHOOT

I'm now using the oak wood bench rest from Casts shooting sticks, marked at dead spot 5 inches from muzzle and a two hand butt hold,

this allows the gun to recoil straight back.

this from a HOT barrel at the end of the session. had to use the seating tool a couple of times, but no problem.

I'm going to load up a bunch for the next session...Ken