Magma Master Caster for BPCR bullets?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Magma Master Caster for BPCR bullets?

Post by TexasMac »

Click on the links below. I realize that the Master Caster has been around for many years but Magma has apparently upgraded the unit with a PID temperature controller. I considered one several years ago but never took the plunge – was concerned about it being a bottom pour. Just wondering if anyone here is using one for BPCR bullets and, if so, are you satisfied?

Magma advertised that for a price they will adapt customer moulds to fit the Magma Caster. Based on the popularity of moulds made from SAECO blocks I assume they can be adapted, but you know what they say about assumptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYdNiMuenUU

http://www.magmaengineering.com/master- ... brief_guns

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Marlin3855

Re: Magma Master Caster for BPCR bullets?

Post by Marlin3855 »

I have one, I converted it to be controlled by a pid. The moulds are easily adapted. BUT I would not use one for my bpcr bullets as when they drop (quite viciously) the bullets get damaged. I would only use what is termed hardball in it as anything softer results in badly damaged bullets.
For my money the new Lyman pid controlled (or RCBS) pot is much better for bpcr bullets than the magma machine will be. And no mould conversions are required.

Dave
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Dave that's exactly what I was thinking. I have bought a lot of hardcast bullets from a company that uses those machines. They sure can cast a lot of bullets fast, and the quality is pretty good, but the setup I saw would have damaged soft bullets. I imagine that could be solved with a little bit of ingenuity though.

Chris.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Marlin3855 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:52 am I have one, I converted it to be controlled by a pid. The moulds are easily adapted. BUT I would not use one for my bpcr bullets as when they drop (quite viciously) the bullets get damaged. I would only use what is termed hardball in it as anything softer results in badly damaged bullets.
For my money the new Lyman pid controlled (or RCBS) pot is much better for bpcr bullets than the magma machine will be. And no mould conversions are required.
Dave
Dave,

Thanks for your comments. How about if the setup was modified so that the bullets drop directly into a 5gal bucket full of water to minimize damage? One of the videos shows the bullets dropping into a funnel than down a chute into a bucket of water.

BTW, I currently use a RCBS Easy Melt furnace/pot with a PID & it works great but I'm always on the lookout for something to increase volume and reduce stress on my hands and arms. But as noted earlier, the Master Caster is a bottom pour setup which concerns me even if bullet damage could be eliminated.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
Marlin3855

Post by Marlin3855 »

Even dropping through water I think they would damage when they come to rest. I modified mine so that they drop on to wool felt but unless you remove each bullet after casting they hit each other and get damaged. If your removing after each bullet then there is no real advantage with this machine. I have been casting my bpcr bullets on a bottom pour setup for about 5 years and am as happy as I ever was dipping.

Dave
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Wayne, you might visit with Dan Zimmerman about this subject. He uses one and firmly believes in it. I have one and have tried to use it for BPCR and I say forget it. We made a good deal to catch them with out of some canvas that made a slide and then dumped them into water. There were no dents in the bullets and they looked good, but I could never get the weight to weight consistency that I desired. I was never able to shoot very good groups with bullets from the master caster without very heavily weighing and sorting them. In the end, I had to cull over half. By the time I did all this fooling around, I could have cast them the old way with a dipper and had better bullets faster. I know you like to tinker and experiment, so this might be right up your alley.
Hope this helps, Cody
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Dave & Cody,

Thanks for your comments. I was hoping someone with experience with the unit would reply. Although I'm tempted to order a Master Caster & play around with it, the $1100 price tag + shipping & the additional price to modify a mould or two has put a stop to any such plans for the time being. Even if I could figure out a convenient way to capture the bullets without damage the fact that it's a bottom pour is worrysome. Cody, I expect that's the reason you had problems with bullet weights.

Wayne
bobw

Post by bobw »

I follow everything said here on using the Magma master caster. One thing not brought up so far is that most Magma molds are bevel based and there is a reason for that( easy release of the bullet by the automated system) If it didn't cost so much to gear up it would be interesting to try. bobw
bobw
Andre

Post by Andre »

I have two Master Casters for sale, if anyone is interested. Not all Magma molds are bevel based. I have several 45-70 molds that are not bevel based. Also any mold can be adapted to run on a Master Caster.

Feel free to txt me at 712 326 6937 or email @ lkydvl@hotmail.com for pics and details.

Andre`