What If.........

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jim Kidwell

What If.........

Post by Jim Kidwell »

There has been a lot of bad blood being spilled on this forum, which serves no purpose whatsoever. For any interested newcomers, it will drive them away. Something we cannot afford, if we want our sport to continue. Let’s cease this trend and look for some positive possibilities.

Like any successful organization, the NRA has morphed into another phase other than their original mission statement. It originally was formed around supporting the shooting sports and their members. Now it is a large lobbying machine supposedly fighting for our second amendment rights. Recently, I have been deluged with pleas for more additional funds to feed this machine. I am tired of this and have been searching for a possible solution to get us back to the original mission statement.

What if…..

Let’s split the NRA into two distinct entities (much like any other monopoly that has grown too big)
• ILA – the lobbying arm aimed at continuing our fight against the Left progressives trying to tear down our Constitution. I will always support this endeavor.
• NRA – the original purpose we need to get back to. I definitely will continue supporting this.
I am on several committees of the NRA, and as a result have had many opportunities to discuss problems, we are having with the powers to be. I am convinced the present Competition Division leaders are doing their best to keep the shooters interests in the forefront. They are frustrated, because the division is strapped for funds and personnel due to the ILA machine’s hunger for funds and the enormous expense of management. If separate with its own budget, no telling what we can get back to.
It is easy to put the blame on past problems and people because of our frustrations, but it is more complicated than that. There are people at the NRA that are listening. One is Aaron Farmer (Dep. Director of Comp. Shooting Div.) He will be at the Nationals shooting along side of us. Stay positive.
How many of you would be willing to support each organization in this what if??????
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
Youngblood

Re: What If.........

Post by Youngblood »

Yeah or have a bylaw with a specific division of funds mandate so one doesnt steal from the other.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Jim, I have been an NRA member for close to 40 years. The amounts of our money being distributed amongst the NRA board for clothing, travel, business expenses is insane. As members we need to clean house and vote out most of this entrenched leadership. They are spending our dues money in ways that it is not intended for. The ILA is well funded at the expense of competitive shooting and other educational endeavors. I don't like it! If not for the requirement of many ranges that you be a NRA member to be a member or shoot completion there I would not be an NRA member. As an organization of which I am a member I say vote out the existing board. It would take a groundswell of folks to do this, but that is what we need. We need to take back the organization and refocus its effort. Get rid of Wayne LaPierre and his cronies. They do not represent us. They represent themselves and the largess to which they have become accustomed.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Jim, I've stayed out of the alluded to forum "discussions", althought I agree with just about everything Glenn and Brent have said. I am saddened that the Target Rifle matches have in essence been lost. It's been five years since I have been able to financially shoot the Black Powder Target Rifle National Matches at Raton and my interest has been suppressed, not by the NRA, but by the "childish" bickering that continues to this day. I will support any organization that defends my 2nd Amendment Rights and that also facilitates and promotes competition, weather they be one or two separate entities.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I object to the weekly letters pleading for more money to fight off the antis and then reading Wayne spent 395,000 bucks at a Beverly Hills clothing store. I listen to some of the stuff that Oliver North is saying about the organization. Maybe some of it is exaggerated, but where there is smoke there is usually a fire. I have always felt that LaPierre was a smug asshole too comfortable with his own existence to give a rats ass about the membership of the NRA.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I just got a letter bumming more money and with all that has gone down lately it pissed me off and it went into the trash. We need to support legislative efforts but not at the bankruptcy of the competitions division. I've been a life member for many years. If it would work as two separate entities I would support both but right now I have a bitter taste in my mouth over the shenanigans of the leadership.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I think we really need to do something and I like your idea very much Jim. Let me know how I can support it. Besides the struggles and frustrations we have with our national matches, our local ranges and their matches are not getting supported either. Rather than building support for the NRA, they are just building contempt.

I don't understand how they can ignore their by laws. Right here in front of me on page one of the official by law book dated April 29, 2017 it lists "Purposes and Objectives." They are:
1. Protect and defend the constitution of the United States
2. Promote public safety
3. To train law enforcement, armed forces, militia and people of good repute in the efficient use of small arms.
4. To foster, promote and support the shooting sports at the local, state, regional, national, international, and Olympic level
5. To promote hunter safety and to promote and defend hunting.

The above are slightly paraphrased, but it is clear 4 of the 5 are about things other than what the ILA is for.
Thanks for bringing this up, Cody
BFD

Post by BFD »

Jim,
How does splitting it really help? If it was to be split 50:50 that would be helpful for at least a while, but realistically it would be split into one big fat entity and one very tiny little sister.

As always, the devil would be in the details.
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

I don't know what we can do to promote a realistic split. I just think it should be done. If things continue the way its going, I'm afraid the membership will decline drastically and then we all lose. I am open to all suggestions. FWIW........................
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

What a GREAT idea Jim. A " simple' solution none of us thought of because we were too busy bitching at each other.
You are right of course. Put differences aside, forget about past problems with the NRA and unite to make shooting better.
Aaron Farmer is a fine young man and everyone that has met and talked to him likes and respects him. He would be willing to try whatever the shooters want.

Now..nuts and bolts. Where to start?

I know you don't want to hear this..but YOU are ideally suited to start this up.You possess a HIGH degree of social intelligence and you are a MASTER at " social engineering"...Most of us are too direct I'm afraid.

I like youngblood's rec of having funds dedicated SOLELY to competition . I have buds at the NRA who believe competitions division could actually be profitable with the right tweaking of the system and accountability of spending monitored.

Now...you're IT. Make a list of what's needed to be done and who needs to do that.

Sorry my friend...but of all the folks that are reading this RIGHT NOW...you are the most qualified.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

I also agree that's it's time for new NRA leadership.
While it's not perfect, or even close, it's ALL we've got.
ask Canada, Australia, the UK, or even California!.
Unchecked expense accounts means unchecked expenses

Next time we get a vote certificate in our NRA mag. vote for everyone NOT a current member of the 'elite"
Wayne La Pierre may have done a lot in the past, but he is the attack face for the liberals. We need new
faces out front of the camera. Someone more attuned to the current feelings in the country. More sympathetic and not just argumentative.
We have keep the NRA, but it has to change with the times too.
Ken
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

LOL, you will need someone with more brain power than I possess.I have been corresponding with Brent, since he is the perfect devil's advocate, which I respect. One issue deals with selling off the Comp Div. to another organization. The only one that comes to mind would be the CMP, but they have their own issues.
What I would like to see is we remain with the NRA, but it would be controlled by a central BOD governing the Comp. Div. and the 2nd Amendment Div.. It would consist of a chairman and equal members representing both divisions. They would control the combined budgeting of each. Just thinking........
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I agree Brent has the Brain Power and I think he's a fine fellow. Not taking anything away from Brent, but you possess the insider info and you possess great social skills. Good directors always choose someone that is BETTER at a certain position than they are. I'm still looking at you for that position. We all have our strengths and weaknesses...utilizing those to the best interest of a group/organization is what leaders do. Make it happen Kidwell...this is a unique moment in time.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Jim Kidwell wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:27 pm There has been a lot of bad blood being spilled on this forum, which serves no purpose whatsoever. For any interested newcomers, it will drive them away. Something we cannot afford, if we want our sport to continue. Let’s cease this trend and look for some positive possibilities.

Like any successful organization, the NRA has morphed into another phase other than their original mission statement. It originally was formed around supporting the shooting sports and their members. Now it is a large lobbying machine supposedly fighting for our second amendment rights. Recently, I have been deluged with pleas for more additional funds to feed this machine. I am tired of this and have been searching for a possible solution to get us back to the original mission statement.

What if…..

Let’s split the NRA into two distinct entities (much like any other monopoly that has grown too big)
• ILA – the lobbying arm aimed at continuing our fight against the Left progressives trying to tear down our Constitution. I will always support this endeavor.
• NRA – the original purpose we need to get back to. I definitely will continue supporting this.
I am on several committees of the NRA, and as a result have had many opportunities to discuss problems, we are having with the powers to be. I am convinced the present Competition Division leaders are doing their best to keep the shooters interests in the forefront. They are frustrated, because the division is strapped for funds and personnel due to the ILA machine’s hunger for funds and the enormous expense of management. If separate with its own budget, no telling what we can get back to.
It is easy to put the blame on past problems and people because of our frustrations, but it is more complicated than that. There are people at the NRA that are listening. One is Aaron Farmer (Dep. Director of Comp. Shooting Div.) He will be at the Nationals shooting along side of us. Stay positive.
How many of you would be willing to support each organization in this what if??????
Sunshine is the best disinfectant.
The NRA needs to open the books, and let the membership and anyone else see where is the money going *ie who is paid how much and for what" A copy of the proposed budget should be made to each eligible voting member prior to the budget being submitted for approval. The ILA is some what of a separate division of the general NRA and that's why we get letters from the ILA asking for donations to them. The stated purpose of the NRA foundation on their 501c3 statement is to fund National Championships and training thru NRA competitions etc. The major funding for that comes from sources like the Friends of the NRA banquets.
It would likely be helpful for competitions to send each competitor in a National Championship a full and compete financial statement, showing total cost, who was paid how much and for what. This should also include revenues, from entry fee's general fund and foundation moneys. It could easily be incorporated into the results bulletin, and would go a long way to show competitors just what a national match costs. It's also something competitors should know, much like taxpayers should know where the entity collecting taxes spends those dollars.
Competitions needs to rearrange the "committee" thing. For instance the Black Powder committee should include 2 active members that shoot multiple events and are regulars at the nationals, and matches directors that have long standing records of running state and regional matches, from each discipline that committee covers. Same for the silhouette committee, that should be made up of 2 from each discipline, higpower, lever gun, small bore, BPCR and air gun etc. Meeting agenda's should also be made available to competitors, and a summary of the minutes should be available to the interested competitors after the meeting. This could easily be done on the competions website. Rather than have committee members travel to Fairfax for the committee meetings they could easily and inexpensively be done via teleconference, webinar, white board etc. Again interested competitors should have the ability to listen in, and maybe towards the end of the meeting be allowed to ask questions or submit suggesstions.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Dandee Don is right about all that. We have been saying the same thing for years. Putting on a national match is 24/7/365 work and competitors would be surprised at all the hard , volunteer work that goes into a big match vs actual pay. Each discipline does need a rep at the committee meetings that can EASILY be conducted by telephone/computer.