What If.........

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Yellowhouse

Re: What If.........

Post by Yellowhouse »

It would go a long way for me, at least, if the tacky, personal, remarks and childish footers be eliminated. Not a very good way to cultivate an atmosphere of team effort in my estimation. Now that the veneer has been ripped away I'm convinced that maybe traveling to shoot at Oklahoma City isn't that great an idea after all.
Sam
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

It would go a long way for me, at least, if the tacky, personal, remarks and childish footers be eliminated. Not a very good way to cultivate an atmosphere of team effort in my estimation. Now that the veneer has been ripped away I'm convinced that maybe traveling to shoot at Oklahoma City isn't that great an idea after all.
x2
and after what I read on the thread Lucinda shut down and continue to read on this thread from individuals associated with NRA matches I don't care if I ever go to another one. And certainly not Oklahoma City. Plenty of other matches out there that have nothing to do with the NRA.

OBTW Don is right in all he said above and that would be the place to start turning things around no matter who is running the show.
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Don't know about any body else...but I've decided to bypass Raton and go to Byers instead. Nothing to do with the NRA...but I would rather support Robert than someone else. These pissing threads have go to stop.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

No worries Buddy...that decision has already been made for you.
Now off to the nationals at Raton. The numbers appear to be up from last year and I can't wait to shoot in some LOW humidity , cooler weather.
I'll see you guys there !!!
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Dennis Armistead wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:26 am Don't know about any body else...but I've decided to bypass Raton and go to Byers instead. Nothing to do with the NRA...but I would rather support Robert than someone else. These pissing threads have go to stop.
Dennis
Dennis,
I don't recall you going to Raton. A quick flip through the on-line results didn't produce your name. Perhaps I missed it.
Will you get a full refund?
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

No Brent I haven't been to Raton but intended to this year, unfortunately it was cancelled. Not sure how many other shooters had intentions of putting in but were waiting for scheduling in their personal lives. Not being retired and having to run a business I have to wait for some off time before I can attend a shoot. I do plan on shooting Raton in the future though. Hopefully the long range match will come to be. My previous post was not a jab at anyone, I hope the mid range shoot is a success.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

Im a Life-Endowment member myself.
My 3 sons were given Life memberships by my dad when they were born.

I was not pleased when a few years ago after Wy, Mt, Tn were passing firearms freedom laws telling the feds, whats made here and stays here is not fed business, the NRA said basically, “we dont support these laws and if you get pinched over them we wont support you.”

As it sits now, they can send me magazines for the rest of my life but im not sending them anything until they fly right.

Its too bad Wayne needs so much money to live the high life that actual shooting activities are getting cut.
I dont know if splitting the organization would help that but maybe they could split funds evenly or at least a set formula for whixh side it goes to.
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

I started this string with a "What If.........."
Let's keep it on some thoughtful ideas and not some petty squabbles. I would suggest you go to PM's to promote one another and keep positive suggestions on how to keep our support alive with constructive suggestions. FWIW.................
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Jim Kidwell if you believe that mismanagement of NRA member dues to the tune of millions of dollars is a "petty squabble" then I believe there is no way that the NRA will pour more funding into competition. I believe that to the NRA there is no money to be gained by competition or educational efforts. Follow the money. The NRA is bleeding money. I also don't believe they are gonna split it up to make you happy. Wake up and smell the roses. And yes, I am an NRA member. We have to change the organization from within. They are not miraculously going to do it for us.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Michael Johnson wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:41 pm Jim Kidwell if you believe that mismanagement of NRA member dues to the tune of millions of dollars is a "petty squabble" then I believe there is no way that the NRA will pour more funding into competition. I believe that to the NRA there is no money to be gained by competition or educational efforts. Follow the money. The NRA is bleeding money. I also don't believe they are gonna split it up to make you happy. Wake up and smell the roses. And yes, I am an NRA member. We have to change the organization from within. They are not miraculously going to do it for us.
+1 from another life member. Sad that all their magazines and video/online creations have turned into nothing more than political attacks ads and "the sky is falling" money begging schemes.

As for "selling" the competitions division (per Kidwell's post), you don't get much money for losing ventures with no assets. Props to RG (and others) for their efforts with BPTR.
Glenn
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Jim can you tell us more about why all but the super senior and the midrange match wasn't implemented?Black Powder

The Arthur C. Jackson Trophy is to be repurposed and awarded to the NRA Black Powder Target Rifle National Champion. In the event that their ever is a World Black Powder Target Rifle Champion, with winner of the World Black Powder Target Rifle Championship will receive a picture of the Arthur C. Jackson and an award Certificate.

New Rule: Under Rule 17.5 add Rule 2.2.2 defining new category: “Grand Senior” Definition: A person may compete as a Grand Senior beginning on 01/01 of the calendar year in which their seventieth (70th) birthday occurs. This will conform with other shooting disciplines.”

New Rule: Add (the designation of) Rule 17.5 (aa) to the current National Championship Aggregate Course. This is a clerical motion as in the past the National Championship Aggregate Course was created by a motion that was passed but never assigned a (numerical) position in the BPTR rulebook, was not added to the 2017 National Match program and no medallion was provided.

New Rule: Add Rule 17.5 (p): 300 yds. SR-3 10 shots, 500 yds MR-65 10 shots, 600 yds. MR-1 10 shots. 30 shot mid range, any position then re-label current (p) through (y) as (q) through (z).
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Been an NRA member a long time. I can remember when I was just a shaver and the NRA supported local BB gun matches. I think I won some kind of Daisy or Red Ryder trophy once? NRA was all about hunting and shooting matches back then. NRA taught the hunter safety courses back then.Things have changed and the NRA now seems to be primarily a Second Amendment lobbying organization. I guess the increased pressure from the gun confiscation crowd since the 60s has caused the shift. I don't know for sure? I once ordered a revolver through the mail. Came straight to my house. I think it cost something like $17? Some of you old folks can probably remember those days? Times have certainly changed. It would be nice if NRA continued to support all shooting competitions, local and national. Didn't they once even help build local ranges? How about prizes? Do they still give out trophies and prizes? I don't know what the answer is? I'm just thinking out loud here. But, I think whoever said that the NRA needs to be changed from within by the membership is correct. The problem I see is that hunting and competitive shooting seems to be declining in this country while gun ownership is increasing. Perhaps NRA is reading the tea leaves and concluding that gun purchases now are primarily for self defense and not for hunting or competitive shooting? I don't know? Just thinking out loud here.
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Don McDowell wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:01 am Jim can you tell us more about why all but the super senior and the midrange match wasn't implemented?
Don, If I understand your question, Initially, BPTR was not even considered for the 2019 Nationals. After some discussion, the two day Creedmoor aggregate was added, if it was connected with BPCR. The reasoning was, if there was enough crossover, there could be a possibility of a complete BPTR National in the future. The problem was scheduling it on days where it would be convenient for everyone. The Whittington Center's range assignment would no cooperate with our needs. Ergo, we ended up screwed. I shot target rifle from 2000 thru 2012 and thoroughly loved it, but after the split, it was not possible to make two trips to Raton.

In the future, as I see it, we need to get back to a schedule we had in early 2000. It will not make a lot of target rifle competitors happy, because it will have to be in the June/July time frame. No target setters are available August on.

I can relate to laying out in the sun. I've done it. It's not fun.

As far as your other questions, you need to get with someone on the Black Powder Committee for answers.......
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well that sort of answers part of the question.
But I was particularly interested in why they didn't follow thru on that bit I copied and pasted from their own NRA SSUSA from April of 2018?
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/4/2 ... e-changes/
We had a pretty good idea that the proposal sent to the black powder committee in 2015 and 16 for the BPTR national championship to be a 6 day aggregate had been approved, but apparently wasn't made a "rule" until 2018.
The nice thing is they mention the Arthur C Jackson trophy to be awarded to the BPTR champion, rather than just calling it the "ironman" The first I had heard of the Jackson trophy was when I read that article. I must say that would be a nice touch in addition to the midrange award, and the Castle trophy for the long range competitor. It would be really nice to see that trophy displayed along side the Castle at the Whittington.
Target rifle competitors will show up as best they can for a 6 day match, in a cooler season, so that we're not out on the line with 130+ ground temperatures like we faced in 16. As I understand from reading old threads and talking to long time shooters, their main concern was not so much to split the two venues, but to get the matches back to the original Sept dates.
As to the target setters for the silhouette I have the communications between a former committee person and the Raton school activities director, in 2015, where the activities director clearly says it would be possible to get various groups out of school to set targets as a fund raiser for their groups. FFA, FBLA etc.
I'm also a bit intrigued at you saying the BPTR match at first wasn't even in consideration, as when I visited with Mr. Farmer in August about what might be the outcome if they did cancel the 18 match, and he said clearly that the match would be held in 19 in August at the Whittington.. But that might also explain the blank looks when they were asked about next year at the 18 competitors meeting, and about the only thing was there was a rumor that the match might be in September someplace in Louisiana.. Interesting times for sure.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Don,
I tried to explain what I know, but you seem to have all the answers, so you should go with it. Good luck....................