Winchester 73

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Perentie

Winchester 73

Post by Perentie »

A few years back I bought a bunch of 73 bits. Now just starting to get it together. Building one from the pieces.
I have relined the barrel, bought a reamer and chambered it, and got everything just about ready.
Now I am stuck as it wont feed. The rim of the shell hits the little tit sticking out from the front of the bottom of the bolt and prevents the lifter coming up. The bolt wont come further back than this so I am stumped as to whats wrong.
Anyone got a 73 they can look at to see what is happening?

Imagewinchester reline 12 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141809689@N05/]
Tomklinger

Re: Winchester 73

Post by Tomklinger »

The knees or pins are worn, it's not retracting the bolt into the frame far enough.When the lever is fully forward, The ctg. guide (teet) needs to be flush with the frame to allow the ctg to rise past the guide into position to feed into the chamber.
Hope this helps,
Tom
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

get a copy of Restoring Antique Guns of the old west.

they have a section on 73's .
replacing the pins in the action, how it works, etc.
this is something you can do in your basement shop too.
Ken
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Tomklinger wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:06 am The knees or pins are worn, it's not retracting the bolt into the frame far enough.When the lever is fully forward, The ctg. guide (teet) needs to be flush with the frame to allow the ctg to rise past the guide into position to feed into the chamber.
Hope this helps,
Tom
Thanks Tom, I thought that might have been the problem. Good to have it confirmed.
Keith
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

kenny s wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:05 am get a copy of Restoring Antique Guns of the old west.

they have a section on 73's .
replacing the pins in the action, how it works, etc.
this is something you can do in your basement shop too.
Ken
Good idea. I googled it but couldnt find that one. Amazon came up with Gunsmithing. Guns of the old West. It has a photo of a 73 on the cover so looks promising.
Thanks Ken.
Keith