50-140 Sharps Buffalo Rifle

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SFogler

50-140 Sharps Buffalo Rifle

Post by SFogler »

Check out this pretty much original 50-140 buffalo rifle on GI. There's the full story about it with documentation and provenance.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101245263
bobw

Re: 50-140 Sharps Buffalo Rifle

Post by bobw »

Originally it was a 44-90 2 5/8". with the 50 barrel it's a modified original. Personally I'd want to verify the provenance references of the sellers claims. Last I read 50 3.25" UMC and loads didn't hit the market until 1884. Just my thoughts, it does look like it's in nice shape, wonder what it twist rate is? bobw
bobw
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Utter bullshit. As Bobw mentioned.

First 3-1/4 brass introduced in 1884.

Next..

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

It aint a $21000 rifle in that condition! It is a shame someone buggered it up. I guess it could have been rebarrelled by Sharps in .50-70 or .50-90 and then someone else ran it out to the .50-140 but since case length isn't on the barrel we will never know.
Real gun powder is black.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Yeah, too bad the guy didn't leave it alone - it may have been on some buffalo hunts as a 44-90 if it was shipped to Dakota Territory in 1875.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Well as a 44-90 it could have been used as a genuine buffalo hunt gun. Problem is the nicer the condition the less likely it saw buffalo hunt service. Real provenance starts with a search of the Sharps factory records and a letter from Dr Richard Labowski (current owner of the Sharps factory records) .This gives a ship date to a distributor who was historically supplying arms to those involved in the buffalo hunt in a certain area and much add'n info. There are blanks in those records so not every gun can be traced and not every gun that was rebarrelled or rechambered was done by Sharps. There are many guns that are a mixture of parts and different serial numbers indicating that at sometime in the past something was replaced. Signifcance of this is an original that is all original has a higher value. I don't want to sound like I'm bad mouthing this gun but if you buy a gun like this at some one elses idea of its worth you may never get your money back out of it. Collector value is what we are talking about and collector guns are known by the pro collectors. Never heard of this one. Real good provenance would be enlightening. bobw.
bobw