Paper patch 1st shot hits

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Deanm1874

Re: Paper patch 1st shot hits

Post by Deanm1874 »

Oh.... an I do not remove the heavily lathered in bore butter I use for rust prevention during gun storage... just degrease the chamber just prior to shooting. That’s it
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

I wet-wipe after each shot shooting paper-patched bullets. In fact I use only paper-patched bullets in all of my Shiloh Sharps rifles. I have great success with them. My procedure is - Two damp patches pushed through the fouled bore. I wet the clean cotton patches with a mixture of 1/10th water-soluble oil, and 9/10's water. Next a single dry patch pushed through the barrel from chamber to crown to dry the bore. Then I run a 20 ga. shotgun wool mop pushed through the chamber area to really get the chamber dry. Next, chamber and shoot. I've used this routine for many years shooting 300,400, 800 and 1,000-yard matches. The first shot is always in the same group. I use Goex Fg for both my 45-90 and 45-110 in matches. I compress the Goex Fg powder quite a bit in both the 45-90 and 45-110. I cast my own bullets using a 16-1 lead/tin mixture. I wrap the swagged 530 grain bullet with 9# pure cotton paper.

For what its worth,

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

great load info..thanks
I do the same with my 40 70 SS using PP only.
I use one wet and one dry and a chamber swab.

I'm using the BA 25% cotton paper. you mentioned 100% cotton 9 lb. where do you get it?
Ken
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

I stockpiled a lot of it many years ago when BACO was selling it.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Thanks, Ken, for the heads-up on BACO having 25% cotton patching paper. I bought 1,000 sheets, knowing that someday my precious 100% paper with be gone.

Grateful,
Robert