Paper patch 1st shot hits

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ian45662

Re: Paper patch 1st shot hits

Post by ian45662 »

I’m in all the way for paper patch. I have a brooks Creedmoor mould but I have not even touched it for a few years now.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I like harder alloys and no cookies though.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

I wipe between shots , one wet one dry . I've never had much luck with lube cookies.
even tried sizing the patched bullet .410 just to even up the patch, no lube though.
no luck,, it likes the hand rolled hand set bullet.
Ken
Deanm1874

Post by Deanm1874 »

Ya, casting soft long heavies, gotta put the heat on. On my Lyman thermometer it starts casting real good 825, 850ish. Might read different on another thermo.... casting with my nephews once, their thermo read 100 degrees different when I out of curiosity put my thermometer in their pot. Dunno who’s was right , both were Lyman thermometers.
Deanm1874

Post by Deanm1874 »

Ken, you mentioned lube cookies, I use them, however, I put 3/16” thick , but I have found half of it laying 30 feet in front of the muzzle already.... I’m like???? Shooting black with my 73 44WCF... I can pour the rounds thro, drives tacks. 20 rnds later it is spot on yet, look at the muzzle, it’s oily n wet. I can never get that wet look in my 45 2 7/8. But I blow 4 ,5 breaths and seems to work. No chambering issues whatsoever.Granted there’s 110 grs powder vrs 32, but there’s a lot more lube in my buff gun to. And seeing half of the cookie laying on the ground is bummer. Same lube mix...1 part beeswax, 2 parts jojoba oil by weight.
Deanm1874

Post by Deanm1874 »

It looks like it might get trapped between the 2 wads. Like the powder wad cups over towards the bullet and the bullet wads gets pushed into the cup base and bends towards the rear. The 2 wads meet and seal off and rest is captured between the wads. Might just have to put thicker cookie in.
Deanm1874

Post by Deanm1874 »

What I’m curious on is , did the ole time buff gunners, when hosing down on a good herd, did they blow thro their barrels after every shot? I tend to doubt that but maybe. They had sperm whale oil , I think anyways. And speaking of that, I was watching a documentary on some island somewhere... the natives are still allowed to kill the blue whale. They kill plenty of them to. Drag em in n butcher em up. I’d love to get a hold on that blubber oil n bring a gallon or 2 home:)
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

HI Deanm,
while I don't use a lube cookie, wiping has been more accurate, you may want to try putting TWO newspaper wads under the bullet.
this prevents the wad from sticking to the bullet down range. even a few feet will blow all accuracy.
I always do this with my GG bullets, two paper wads under the bullet then the plastic or veggie wad.
I had found,(years ago) wads at the 100 yard target. They were stuck all the way down.
not any more and the targets prove this.

it's cheap, easy and what the heck..try it out.
don't do this on PP because I don't use a lube wad.

let me know....Ken
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

Deanm1874 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:09 pm What I’m curious on is , did the ole time buff gunners, when hosing down on a good herd, did they blow thro their barrels after every shot? I tend to doubt that but maybe. They had sperm whale oil , I think anyways. And speaking of that, I was watching a documentary on some island somewhere... the natives are still allowed to kill the blue whale. They kill plenty of them to. Drag em in n butcher em up. I’d love to get a hold on that blubber oil n bring a gallon or 2 home:)
Sperm oil doesn't come from blubber but from an organ called spermaceti. Whale oil comes from blubber and doesn't have the same desired properties. If you visit antique stores and such sometimes you can find small bottles of Plueger reel oi. Thats the real deal....
Sam
BFD

Post by BFD »

Sperm oil is greatly overrated. Got some, but it has no magic.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

trying something...instead of one wet, one dry. I tried two wet one dry.
the second wet came out dirty, . it looks like more accuracy on the PP load.

also going to try switching back to 1 1/2 OD, rather than the 2f, I've been using.
Some of my original PP loads are more accurate, and they were 1 1/2.

who knows.

barrel gets hot here in FL 'summer'. 90 degrees even in the AM. two patches may cool the reg. weight 30 inch tube down a little.
Ken
Deanm1874

Post by Deanm1874 »

Was reading a past post on Hiram berdan. He was testing his pp patch breechloader. Only had 75 gr of powder, 466 gr boolits... shot a 20 some odd inch at 1050 yrds? Never cleaned his rifle, beeswax n tallow... holy crap! If true it’s one hell of a deal.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I've done similar with a trapdoor and grease groove. No blow tube, no wipe, just load and shoot. 30 some odd rounds with no fouling control. No appreciable loss of accuracy. Clean up with soap and water only. No more fouling or leading that when I wiped or blow tubed between shots. Hmmmm.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Deanm1874

Post by Deanm1874 »

Well I have to with 44wcf... I think it might be in the powder charge... seems perhaps if much over 75 to 80 gr of powder fouling becomes n issue. My 44WCF I never do fouling control... 50... 100 rnds... don’t matter. Drives nailes from 1st to last shot
Deanm1874

Post by Deanm1874 »

Well not positive yet... but it seems to me it might matter on patch lube. I was playing around a bit. I used the same lube as my grease cookie for lubing my patches. I discovered my first shots always were bout 4” high and a lil left of the main group at 300 yrds. Did this several times. Went back to lubing my paper with rooster jacket lube. Shot a 5 shot group at 200 yards that measured 2 1/2” The 1st shot was some where in the 2 1/2” lead splatter mess on the steel plate. I used blow tube between shots. No wiping.