Paper patch 1st shot hits

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Deanm1874

Paper patch 1st shot hits

Post by Deanm1874 »

Hey, new to this forum. Been shooting pp ammo for some time now... experimenting etc... what I am discovering for myself is 1st shot.. clean barrel, doesn’t seem to hit far off from main group with follow fouled shots. During my time shooting greasers 1st shot was always high. 6” at 200 yrds, the rest would group nicely but lower. Just wondering what anybody else’s experience is with pp bullets on 1st shot placement. Somtimes my 1st shot is right with the main group. I like it.. curious if anyone else had input
bpcr shooter

Re: Paper patch 1st shot hits

Post by bpcr shooter »

same as you... if you are doing a good job with fouling control it should be darn near the same. We as PP shooters keep tryin to get the greasers to convert.....only took me 5 rounds and I was sold!!!! :D :D :D :D

If I am able to, I fire a few practice rounds I do just to get some fouling in the barrel....It also lets me know how many "wet" patches I have to run
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

The original Creedmoor matches did not allow sighters, your first shot of the day counted for score.....
Tom
Deanm1874

Post by Deanm1874 »

Yea I got started with pp bullets.... it’s a lil slower reloading em but once the fingers learn to wrap, its not that much slower and not that hard to be consistent. It allows me to shoot 100% pure soft lead,is accurate, if I blow thro it I get oh prolly 5” somtimes less, at 300 yrds... don’t have the added tin cost, it will open up on game a lil easier, easier cleanup etc. For me , the only disadvantage is prolly time loading.... which I don’t mind....other than that I find it very advantageous. Plus I think the finished product looks neat.
Deanm1874

Post by Deanm1874 »

But then I have a chamber specific for shooting bite size bullets... like the old original buff gunners had. Works great
Deanm1874

Post by Deanm1874 »

Sorry, bore size
Deanm1874

Post by Deanm1874 »

I shoot bullets 1.5” long.. 18 twist does great with that. It’s heavy... 45 caliber pure lead , from an adjustable mold I made myself, cup based, weighs in at 580 grs. It’ll thump ya... 45 2 7/8” casing. I run 110 grs Swiss 1F
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I’m like you. My first shot is very close to the following shots. I have not been able to get pure lead bullets to shoot very well. What bullet are you using and what size is it?
Deanm1874

Post by Deanm1874 »

The bullets I use are casted from a mold I made. I cast pretty much 100% lead. I have some 95% tin 5% lead solder I have laying around. In a 20 lb pot I add bout 4 to 6” of that. Does nothing to harden the bullets, they still test out at pure lead levels. I dunno... I do it cause I have it and it might help fill the mold a lil bit. But the bullets measure .437” naked, the nose tapers to a 1/4” flat meplat. It’s a nose pour mold. The paper I use comes from Office Depot. I’ll try to send pic of bullet n paper. The paper is thicker than the onion skin from BA. I haven’t seen any noticeable difference between the 2 papers. If I use onion skin I will need to apply a slight taper crimp to secure bullets in casing. But the paper from Office Depot is thicker, it slip fits in nicely, stays put, and fits close in the bore. I use to struggle with chambering shots 3,4,5 or more... than I started adding compression to powder column, I’m at .200” compression, all chambering problems immediately disappeared. I can fire 2O rnds, the last goes in as easy as the 1st
Deanm1874

Post by Deanm1874 »

Well I’m having trouble posting pics. Claims file to large. Not sure why or how??? Just using a phone , if I get to a computer it might work. I’ll try in a day or so
Deanm1874

Post by Deanm1874 »

I don’t know for sure, but my thought on using pure lead bullets is keeping the nose short. I don’t know the style or nose shape you have but I have seen some nose designs that remind me of the “money “ bullet from BA, and those were swaged pure lead. I just guessing but it seems to me that is to long of nose that is unsupported if pure lead is used. Figure it might slump to one side on ignition... don’t know, just guessing. So when I made my mold I kept the nose shorter with a flat on the end. Plus it smacks harder on critters with a flat nose and prolly helps it mushroom a lil bit. I dug bullets out from soft topsoil, wasn’t hard dry dirt, and they had really mushroomed nicely at 400 yrds. I was pleased.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

after a year plus with my Shiloh 40 70 , I bought a GG 400 and have been doing ok with it at 100 yds.
last session I found some of my original PP loads. just figured I'd shoot them off.

all went in 1 34 inch at 100, nice round group. 10 shots.

OK. I've put my GG mold away and cast and loaded a bunch of PP 415 grain, 1 20 cast.
back to the original load.
when I checked my book of notes, I had written on this load page.
THIS IS IT....
guess I should read all my notes to myself. Ken
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

A sage advised me to run a lubed patch through the bore for the first shot so that the barrel was essentially fouled. It works pretty good in a 44-77.
Sam
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Sometime I would like to come up with a paper patch chicken load. Maybe something groove diameter instead of bore diameter so that I can use less powder. Of maybe a pure lead bullet with less powder. 82 grains of Swiss and a 536 grain bullet is a little much for chickens.
bobw

Post by bobw »

I just got done shooting the "Q" with pp loads for the 14 th year I think they are the way to go. After you've watched someone pound a cleaning rod with a hammer or a hard surface thru the bore of a expensive BPCR to de lead it you wonder how they could be so obtuse. I use lube wads like the originals did and find all I need to do is to blow tube 4-5 times before the 1 st shot to keep it in the subsequent group. 1 8/8 at 600 yds and 7 in a row at 530 and 405 tells that my loads work fine even when I am not working fine. In my tight chamber 45-2 7/8" I use a .440" at 1 in 60 alloy they work great and pour very nice without the pure lead wrinkle finish Pouring nice looking PL bullets has all ways been a problem for me. bobw
bobw