.45-110 load for a newbie

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bobw

Re: .45-110 load for a newbie

Post by bobw »

Dennis, you are entitled to your own opinion of course but I disagree with it. My loads all feature lube wads /grease cookies. At the Q 2 weeks a go I went 8/8 on the octagon at 600yds and 7 in a row at 530 and 7 in a row at 405. My loads work ,I don't all ways perform as well as they do. Blow tubed after every shot. When I go back for the 1000 in July then the humidity is low enough you damn well better wipe. But even then my loads are the same and the lube wads keep the fouling just moist enough to do 1 wet and a dry and do ok.
bobw
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

bobw wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:22 am Dennis, you are entitled to your own opinion of course but I disagree with it. My loads all feature lube wads /grease cookies. At the Q 2 weeks a go I went 8/8 on the octagon at 600yds and 7 in a row at 530 and 7 in a row at 405. My loads work ,I don't all ways perform as well as they do. Blow tubed after every shot. When I go back for the 1000 in July then the humidity is low enough you damn well better wipe. But even then my loads are the same and the lube wads keep the fouling just moist enough to do 1 wet and a dry and do ok.
Bob, great job the "Q" over the week end. Any body that has been shooting BPCR for any length of time knows that there is a million ways to load these guns. That is what makes them so much fun. I do shoot lube wads in my .45 2 7/8 for general shooting when I don't want to break out my wiping rod and patches. Blow tube is much easier. That being said, shooting accurately at the "long lines" I know that rounds loaded with lube disc's do affect accuracy. It was even written about by the major manufactures of the day that wiping between shots was detrimental to accuracy, but if wiping wasn't available then a lube disc was needed to prevent leading. All things being considered, a lube wad is a good idea for shooting paper patch. Having just the right amount of lube to create a lube star, soften black powder residue and not greatly effect accuracy is the key. Only experimentation can determine that.
Are you going to be a Byers this year?
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

bobw, I am curious - I have considered using lube wads on occasion in the past, especially when hunting or shooting in low humidity, hot conditions. Sounds like they work well for you and are accurate in your rifle. What do you make your lube wads out of? How thick are they? How do you make them? What kind of wads do you use to separate the lube from powder and bullet? Thanks!
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Dennis, wiping between shots is detrimental-to accuracy? Did I read that right? After shooting 60 rounds with various stacks of .06 veg wads this week I’m going back to grease cookies. Don’t know why wad stacks don’t work for me, I know many shooters use them successfully as you do. I’ve had the best results with cookies and the BACO bore pigs. Are you going to shoot the MT 1000 or Byers this year?
Mike
bobw

Post by bobw »

buffalocannon, no secret and credit should go where it's due. Orville showed me what to use. Go to your local organic food store and buy pure jojoba oil and get some pure yellow beeswax. WEIGH out your portions 2 parts jojoba oil to 1 part yellow beeswax.put each together in an old sauce pan you will never use again for anything else. Melt together at LOW temp (125-130 degrees) when all the beeswax is melted it's ready to use.
Some folks use a sheet mold lined with wax paper and pour it out to 3/16" and let it cool. using a case with compressed charge and over powder wad for a cookie cutter to get the lube wad in the case. I've found that building a lube wad mold to give me more consistent results on lube wad thickness.. To build this wad mold go to your local dollar store and buy 2 plastic cutting boards 3/16" thick. mark out a uniform grid of holes on one board 7/16" for 45 and 3/8" for 40 cal drill the one with a Forstner bit (flat faced with ctring point). I put a layer of wax paper on top the other one and the drilled one on top ,clamp all 4 corners with those inexpensive finger clamps from Menards or wherever. Put on a level surface and pour your mold holes full, when it starts to solidify enough to move I quick cool it in the frig until solid. Then pull it out and use a straight edge cutter to shave the top. I then use a flat edged bolt to push them out of the mold. Simple as it gets. store in a box or tin out of the sunlight until you use them.
I charge a block of prepped casings with powder and then use a card wad over the powder made from a Minutemaid lemonaide carton ,punched on my press using a BACO press punch, they run .026" after covering the charge I do my compression. then insert the lube wad and just firmly over the top seat another Minutemaid wad, seat your ppb and wallah your ready to go. bobw
bobw
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

mike herth wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:02 am Dennis, wiping between shots is detrimental-to accuracy? Did I read that right? After shooting 60 rounds with various stacks of .06 veg wads this week I’m going back to grease cookies. Don’t know why wad stacks don’t work for me, I know many shooters use them successfully as you do. I’ve had the best results with cookies and the BACO bore pigs. Are you going to shoot the MT 1000 or Byers this year?
Mike
Hey Mike, sorry I wrote that down wrong, I meant to say that for me wiping in between shots gives me the best results for accuracy. It sounds like what you're using is working for you. Only experimentation will tell. I do plan on going to Byers this year if I can get away. My business is busy and I have a bull Elk hunt coming up. Not to mention dealing with the cattle. I do use Jojoba oil and beeswax for lube when I do use it for my pp loads. Good luck on finding the right combination.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

bobw - Thanks for your kind reply. I recently shot in a long range match in miserable conditions - at least 90 degrees and out in the sun for the most part. My barrel too hot to touch entire day. Sad to say I fouled out no matter all my blow tubing, almost collapsing a lung! Leaded up finally. I can hear the PP folks out there whispering the answer...… In any event, I decided at the end of that shoot that I am going to do something to get more lube into the barrel on those types of days. Thanks again
Williamsmattc

Post by Williamsmattc »

Thank you gentleman for this dialog. I’m sitting back taking notes on things to try! I’m sure your combined experience will get me to a good load for my .45-110 in short order!
bobw

Post by bobw »

buffalocannon,I all ways use the grease cookies. I can get away with just blow tubing in June in SD and Montana. A lot of the time in mid July and August the humidity is enough lower and temperature higher that it is imperative that you wipe and have a wiping regimen that works...…. In high humidity with the cookies I get by with blow tubing and no accuracy loss. By still using the cookies in July and August it helps keep the fouling more manageable and easy to deal with 2 moist and 1 dry patch wiping. I shot with 2people last year at the Mt 1000 that were using greasers and blow tubing by the time they got to the last 3-4 shots at each target, fouling out was costing them big time. There are a lot of ways to do things and get some success, do what works for you and laugh at those who don't like what you are doing. bobw
bobw
bryany

Post by bryany »

Good followup Bob, we all do something a little different from time to time and place to place. There is no one single answer.

In most cases, really hot and dry conditions are the hardest to master. Remember, blow tubing or wiping are both open to variable amounts of action. I've heard blow tubers telling of 7-8 long breaths and wipers using 5 patches between shots and both of them barely hanging on to the target. It takes experience and or good training to make those judgements.

Bryan
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Good advice from all. Thanks
bobw

Post by bobw »

bryany wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:23 am Good followup Bob, we all do something a little different from time to time and place to place. There is no one single answer.

In most cases, really hot and dry conditions are the hardest to master. Remember, blow tubing or wiping are both open to variable amounts of action. I've heard blow tubers telling of 7-8 long breaths and wipers using 5 patches between shots and both of them barely hanging on to the target. It takes experience and or good training to make those judgements.

Bryan
That's it Bryan, it really is that simple, conditions change and what the shooter does needs to change as conditions do. One size fits all is a condom deal. bobw
bobw
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Thanks again!
Williamsmattc

Post by Williamsmattc »

So I called Shiloh today and made a couple minor cosmetic changes and had them delete the 7 degree lede. Going with a standard chamber. Also ordered my sights from MVA to have shipped to Shiloh.

Down to the last 4-6 months of waiting... the clock and colander just slowed down even more!
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

bryany wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:23 am Good followup Bob, we all do something a little different from time to time and place to place. There is no one single answer.

Bryan
For what it’s worth having to use (5) wipers to control fouling between shots tells me right off the bat that the patches must not be moist enough, or they’re just too loose of a fit in the bore to be really effective. I’ve found that two slightly moist 3” cotton flannel patches on a delrin rod clears my bore from any burned powder, and a single dry patch of the same size does the trick. Where I see troubles begin to happen is when a loose-fitting rod/patch combo is used a little more fouling accumulates with each new shot down the barrel. After awhile the grooves get so filled up that accuracy no longer is possible. I’ve learned this through experience many years ago. If a third damp patch is needed when two should do the trick it’s because the first two were too loose of a fit in the bore, IMO.
And, I’m speaking of paper-patch shooting here.

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.