Forend to action clearance

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger1212

Forend to action clearance

Post by Trigger1212 »

I’ve read mans time hear that you want to ensure there is just a weeee bit of clearance between the back end of the forend and the front of the action. My understanding is this helps the barrel to vibrate/occelate(sp?) freely which can help with accuracy.

My question is does Shiloh build them with a sliver of light showing or do they build them “tight” so they look as good as possible and then let the owner very carefully sand in the clearance they desire?

If it is necessary to do it ourselves what is the consensus as to the width of the clearance desired?

Asking all this as my 77 is nearing the end of its stay at Shiloh, I’m told it’s in the next batch going out for checkering, so hoping to be coon fingering it in the next couple months or so.

If it comes tight I will shoot it that way just to see how it does.

Is it an article of faith that all rifles will shoot more consistently with this clearance? Notice I did not say more accurate, but more consistent, not as likely to throw those irritating flyers.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers!

Wade
kenny s

Re: Forend to action clearance

Post by kenny s »

my 74 came tight a year ago Jan. I sanded the forend about half the width of a business card, and don't forget to
reseal the wood. poly works well. couple of coats then smooth.
does it work.
How the hell would I know...It just sounded good...HA
most say it's a good thing to do...

can't hurt .Ken
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

None of my Shiloh rifles have accuracy issues. I would suggest that
you shoot the rifle for awhile and if it shoots great then don't fix anything.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

I can slide a business card between the back of the forearm, and the front of the rec'r.
The wood was resealed after sanding.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
AzTBH

Post by AzTBH »

An old 2003 Kirk Byran post, that I saved in my files, with his suggestion for sanding the Forearm to achieve a gap between the receiver

https://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopi ... fit#p11714
Ross McCollum
Peoria, AZ

NRA Life Member
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Wade, here in MS where we can have heat and humidity like the Amazon jungle that contact can have an enormous effect on accuracy. I've had a rifle that was printing one ragged hole groups at 100 yds suddenly go to 6-7" vertical after a summer shower. May not be such a big deal in areas with drier climates but all my rifles get the taping and sanding as Kirk mentions above when they come new out of the box. Often you'll see shiny spots on that part of the forend where it's hitting the receiver. Keith Lay
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Good info Gents, thank you! Read the post by Kirk, if he fells that the rifles should have a sliver of light there does he build ‘em that way or do we have to make ‘em that way?

Cheers!

Wade
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Sounds like to me it depends on where you live like Doc said. We shoot in 95 degrees with 90% humidity. I've had the barrel so hot in competitions that you would not keep your hand on it. Now if you are in Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, you might not need to do it. I have all of my rifles done, but I live in the heat and humidity like Doc. If you are shooting and everything is good, then everything changes as the barrel heats up, you might want to consider doing it. Not hard to do, doesn't take long.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Yeah, but it is real easy to over do it, especially on the vertical portions on the side, and near the top. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

A way to find out is shoot the rifle on cross sticks with the forend removed.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!