My view on Quigley

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Blackstone

Re: My view on Quigley

Post by Blackstone »

I fully understand Longbow . This is what makes silhouette shooting difficult for those of us who don't have a designated spotter . Some times its a complete waste of time and money .
Del

Post by Del »

Hi Pete,

I carefully read the rules and procedures and I'm not seeing anything that specifies how much or how little a spotter (or for that matter other shooter's spotters) can help. From the Forsyth Gun Club page:

Rules
There are only two rules at the Quigley Match:
#1 Have Fun!
#2 Be Safe following Rule #1!
However, there is also a list of procedures that match participants need to follow to make the match work efficiently. I didn't see anything in the procedures that defines controls on spotting and sharing of wind data.

Seems pretty simple so I'm not sure what or who your beef is with, but I suppose it could be me, as I was shooting next to you and am primarily a silhouette competitor but I also shoot Long Range Creedmoor, Midrange, Schuetzen, BPCR, .22BPCR, and Lever Gun Silhouette matches. You brought this issue up at the end of the match with Wes and I which concerned me a bit as I wasn't aware that we were doing anything wrong or improper. We were not admonished by the Score Keeper nor the Range Officer for making wind calls or sharing of shooting data so I don't think we were doing anything improper except possibly in your opinion.

The fact that a spotter is allowed indicates to me that you are shooting as a team and any help that can be afforded by the spotter should be fair game. The sharing of wind calls with other shooters I guess was kind of new to me (this being only the second "Q" match that I have attended) where this can tend to be unfair to the first shooter in your group who is somewhat shooting blind and the other shooter's on down the line "vision" quickly improves as the successful or unsuccessful data is passed down the line. But this data is only as good as it's source, and if a shooters "zero" isn't really a zero, this data gets highly suspect and you are generally better off making your own decisions on wind.

Where you were the first shooter in our group, you were having to make your own wind calls blind but chose to not accept any help other than where you hit from your spotter. Not sure who your spotter was but he was good at calling hits and helped us a number of times when we were smoked out and couldn't make a call for ourselves so thanks to him from us. Not sure why you chose not to take any assistance but Wes and I noticed it early on when Wes tried to help you by showing you one of your hits and you told him that you were doing your own thing and didn't want any help. That was your choice and we accepted it.

But as you weren't sharing any data on where you were holding, Wes and I were making our own wind calls blind as you were so I don't see where we were being unfair or whatever you might want to call it. A good spotter is intended to call the hits and watch the wind and if there is a wind change, the spotter should mention it rather than allow a miss due to this change. And if not, then why allow a spotter? The Score Keeper could be responsible to call approximate hits and misses as we do at the Lone Tree Gong match up in Polson. It's pretty strict there about sharing wind call data.

This is an interesting subject to discuss but I don't think you will get the Quigley folks to make significant changes to throttle down on how every shooter functions where their only two rules are: Have Fun and Be Safe! If they wanted to make it more complicated, I think they could have but it may take a big bite out of their attendance if they developed a rule book like the NRA Black Powder Silhouette Rulebook and created Juries and all that rot. Whenever you make rules, you have to make a process to enforce those rules and this includes getting someone to follow through on the process. I am pretty sure this is precisely why they have just the two rules to follow. If you don't want to have fun or you want to be unsafe, then don't come.

Don't think I am upset or making an issue as there is nothing to gained from that sort of effort. I enjoyed visiting with you and shooting next to you. I would love to have you come up to the Lone Tree Gong match next Memorial Day (our numbers like in all these venues are dwindling) and try your luck there to see if you can beat me shooting under the same rules as you told us you could after this year's match. I'd love to see you try and if you can, more power to you!! Nothing like a good ol' shootin' competition to get the blood flowing! :)
Fortune Favors the Bold...
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

One of reasons I attend the Q IS the way people do share wind and spotting if needed. The SAME people you're competing with.... That is if you feel you're competing. Nothing but nice, friendly people.

If it wasn't that way, I wouldn't drive 1600 miles. It's a week of fun. My only real competitor is me trying to better my highest score.
38-72

Post by 38-72 »

Gussy wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:25 pm One of reasons I attend the Q IS the way people do share wind and spotting if needed. The SAME people you're competing with.... That is if you feel you're competing. Nothing but nice, friendly people.

If it wasn't that way, I wouldn't drive 1600 miles. It's a week of fun. My only real competitor is me trying to better my highest score.
Amen to that!!
See the other Washington, Eastern!
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Del. A week with Grand Kids so I can now get back to you. My second Quigley also. Helped three guys last year to properly use there tang sight as I had my "Big eyes" and was spotting for A group of new guys helping to get them on. Whatever works at Quigley is good enough for me. I will shoot and call my own shots and have the spotter tell my hits as what is allowed there. I guess I was caught off gaurd when you or Wes asked where I was holding. I had to digest that for a minute.I have four Master Shooters working together next to me,two on scopes and you ask A beat up Timber Faller where to hold? I was having my own thoughts going on trying to figure what to do and where to go and I do get into my space as I do shooting Schuetzen and cast bullet BR. You are not the first to think that, but thats my space,I try and block out everything ,best of what can I say, so dont hold it against me.
As for Lone Tree,last time there over 15 years ago, A great shoot! But it is on A Schuetzen Match date and that is my first priority,or I would be there. I'm playing with fire though even shooting my Shiloh 45-70 with major neck operations 10 years back...no recoil, no heavy jolts,stay out of car wrecks! I payed the price at night at Quigley , but will try and get back next year. But I will have to cool it shooting 400 rounds.I'm a glutton for punishment ,but it just felt so good feeling that recoil and watching smoke!
I knew I'd get stomped on bringing this up on a Silhouette mostly Forum, but what the Hell,I've always been outspoken and though I'm not a Forum type of guy thought I'd throw it out there. Just to hear other remarks,well I got them, and I'll leave it at that. Every day I see blue sky is good enough for me.Will see you at The Quigley next year if all goes right. Pete
Del

Post by Del »

I saw Brian Luke the other day at the doctor's office and he said that it appears that the Labor Day Lone Tree match will be on this year if it stays wet like it has been so far this year. He has called if off the last few years due to fire danger but if it keeps up like it has so far this year, maybe we will be able to shoot!!!

Hope you didn't think that I "stomped" on you as it wasn't my intention. Just adding my input as well. If you can't make any of the Lone Tree matches, maybe a silhouette match ( the NW Regionals coming up in Sept ) or will see you again next year at Quigley...
Fortune Favors the Bold...
SgtDog0311

Post by SgtDog0311 »

Ha!!! Read all this thinking to suggest Lone Tree at the end of it. Then I see Del’s mention and that the OP has even been there. Sure enjoyed that match the last two years. Not sure I’d do any better even if I had a dedicated spotter:-))
semtav

Post by semtav »

Longbow wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:39 am . I'm playing with fire though even shooting my Shiloh 45-70 with major neck operations 10 years back...no recoil, no heavy jolts,stay out of car wrecks! I payed the price at night at QuigleyPete
I could loan you a sweet shooting 40-82 😉