My view on Quigley

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Longbow

My view on Quigley

Post by Longbow »

There should be TWO first Place Winners! One for the Buffalo Shooter, he calls his own shots, watches the wind, trusts his instincts and goes for it. One for the Silhouette "Team" shooter, the shooter that has a spotter with "spotting scope" on his back telling him how to shoot. Now in Silhouette that is now the way it is, Fine, but at a Buffalo Match...HMMMM. I'll bet you in the last few years the first place shooter has been coached on his shot....now did A Buffalo Shooter in the old days do that? This should be interesting......
Gussy

Re: My view on Quigley

Post by Gussy »

Sounds like a nightmare. Does the Buffalo shooter get to use a scope to see his hit/miss? Wear totally sound proof ear plugs so he can't hear the next spotters calls.

If it ain't broke, don't work on it....
My 1.2749 cents
bobw

Post by bobw »

I don't they had KOWA TSN's back then for spotters to man or woman, haha. Sometimes you see references to the shooter having an assistant to watch his back from hostiles and keeping his 2nd gun in ready condition. No doubt they might have watched some of the shots and called them the best they could. I know there were some hand held "spy glasses" available back then. Probably a whole lot of different scenario's bobw
bobw
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

560 + Shooters having a good time ?

If it ain't broke, why try to fix it ……………………………?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

desert deuce wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:27 am 560 + Shooters having a good time ?

If it ain't broke, why try to fix it ……………………………?
What he said !
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

OP-have you shot the 'Q' :?:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
OLReliable

Post by OLReliable »

Quigley is a Shoot .... plain and simple. Some shooters get high scores, others get furschlunger scores. I truly believe it ain't about being the best, but rather is about shooting among the very Best, high score or no. My rifle broke more than once over the past many years. Other shooters, many shooters who I didn't even know, came to me from out of nowhere and offered me their personal backup rifles -along with ammo - to shoot. One year the firing pin snapped in my Borchardt. Kirk pulled the breech bolt out of one of his, handed it to me, and said use it for the Q, and mail it back to me when you get a chance. Change the Q? NAH. This is an an event where nothing needs to be proved or improved.
OLR
wyyyyyyy.... iiiyyyyyy ....awwwtttuh
OLR ..... out
MacRob46

Post by MacRob46 »

The way the match is planned and executed has worked for 27 years. There is no need for, nor do I expect there to be, any change in the format. It works, it is fun, it is highly competitive and draws a large group of shooters to a fairly remote place.
38-72

Post by 38-72 »

Longbow wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:01 am There should be TWO first Place Winners! One for the Buffalo Shooter, he calls his own shots, watches the wind, trusts his instincts and goes for it. One for the Silhouette "Team" shooter, the shooter that has a spotter with "spotting scope" on his back telling him how to shoot. Now in Silhouette that is now the way it is, Fine, but at a Buffalo Match...HMMMM. I'll bet you in the last few years the first place shooter has been coached on his shot....now did A Buffalo Shooter in the old days do that? This should be interesting......
Start your own match, that way you can write the rules any way you want them to be.
See the other Washington, Eastern!
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

I never said change Quigley, nothing is broke to fix.Were not talking about a borrowed gun,or any other side talk here. All I said was have two first place winners . As long as the Silo shooters have an advantage shooting,I guess thats the way you want to see it. I'lll leave it at that.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

I can't say that I believe anyone using any shooting equipment has an advantage. Having a good spotter does without a doubt does help. Without a spotter in wet conditions, you might have a 0 for the match.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Longbow, You didn't answer if you had ever shot the Quigley. ????? Shooting without a Spotter is the quickest way to develop a very bad habit. We call it 'Gophering'. Every once in a while someone gets the idea to have a Hunter Match (or whatever you want to call) where you shoot without a spotter. Our club tried it. That is until we stood behind the line and watched all the heads popping up to try and see their hits. Of course when the head comes up the barrel goes down and you miss. We work for years to develop a good 'follow-through' and then throw it all away on a match without a spotter. Not for me thanks. And of course as has already been pointed out it would be a logistic nightmare. Anyone who has shot the 'Q' would know that.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Yes I have shot Quigley. I am not talking about the spotter telling you where you hit.That is Quigley and the way it is set up .I am talking about the ""Silhouette Spotter "" partner behind you,on your back reading the conditions for the you...boil coming up, better go one minute to the left, opps mirage is getting bad . To call your own shots,looking out towards your target,read YOUR conditions,make your shot and hope to Hell....then hear how far off I am ,or where I hit, that is what it is about, and the challenge of Quigley! If you put 6 Silhouette partner teams on one relay....there is the best of chances one of those shooters would win Quigley, and none you can question that. I've shot Silhouette, like the sport.Just never cared that it became A team Match.Wish I could of shot it in its first years,when you spotted your conditions on your won...and A spotter/ pin pusher showed your hits. I think it would be cool to have a State Match like that,you wont have the high scores,but it would be a challenge. Now I didnt mean to upset the Silo crowd,just two styles of shooting and one has the advantage over the other.Thankyou
semtav

Post by semtav »

This is a tough crowd to bring anything up with, but I understand what you are saying Longbow.
Normally at a gong match when your name is called, your spotter should have fed you all the info you need and you are ready to shoot.
I have seen once at one of the Montana 1000 matches where the spotter would make wind calls for up to a minute after the shooters name was called before the shooter actually shot. I'm sure that is what you are referring to. Worst part is it really slows down a relay.
Not getting into whether it is right or wrong, but I remember hashing over that issue on here before.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

At the Quigley a good range officer, will put a Kabash on all the last minute coaching...been there done that!! I don't shoot silhouette, and the only time I won the Quigley was with my wife spotting. she can't read wind or mirage any better than me. But she has an excellent eye for hits and misses. As long as we are on the Forsyth crew....what an excellent run 1000 yd. match last weekend. Could not have been any better run as far as I am concerned. Oh, we had spotters and were also spotters ourselves, kind of a team sport true, but was a great time.